Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of these 1000W coolant heaters from Zerostart from a local yard for only a couple bucks. Pulled it from a Passat TDI.
I'm going to install it into my '04 V10 TDI and want some suggestions as to which coolant lines to plumb it into.
I'd like to have heat when I get in on cold mornings.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You already have a Webasto installed. Why not upgrade it to a parking heater with a remote. Lots of info on here about how to do that. Then you don't have to plug in the Zerostart.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've installed my coolant heater on the v10 today and will test it's functionality prior to posting pictures for others looking to do the same. Actually rather simple to do and only cost $18 in supplies + price of coolant heater.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've installed my coolant heater on the v10 today and will test it's functionality prior to posting pictures for others looking to do the same. Actually rather simple to do and only cost $18 in supplies + price of coolant heater.
What's the overall process? Hook into the coolant lines and the fuel system? How is it controlled off/on?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
install in series with coolant line. Nothing to do with the fuel system.
Plugs into household outlet.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Did you just cut a coolant line and insert this inline? That may not work as expected.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lower initial cost.

-J

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
985 Posts
Did your v10 not have one? Or is it broken?

I've never had a starting or heating issue in any of the 3 V10TDI's I have and they have always started right up even at -5 Fahrenheit

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have not had any starting issues, but it's only been down to single digits over night.
I'm after a quick warmup and not shivering for the first 10 mins of the 15-20 min drive I make to work.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
985 Posts
Why don't you just use a timer where the factory heater? They are plug-and-play and you can get them for about $100 on Germa why don't you just use a timer where the factory heater? They are plug-and-play and you can get them for about $100 on German eBay

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
/\ what he said /\

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
985 Posts
You can search the forum and there is information on the timer. I think I have one in the V10 that I am parting out to put the engine in my Corvette. If you're not able to find one I can call the guy doing the conversion and see if he will package it for shipping.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'd be interested and have a couple other items (interior bits) I'm hunting for too.
PM me about it.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
985 Posts
Thanks, I'd be interested and have a couple other items (interior bits) I'm hunting for too.
PM me about it.
Sorry but I sent the entire car to California along with the corvette for the conversion. I am not in a position to sell parts, you can get the timer on EBay Germany or maybe the EBay UK site. If you don't have luck there you can let me know and when I talk to me my builder I will ask him to pull it. It is a easy part to replace but I don't want to deal with asking him as I will be charged labor and it will at best, be a wash for me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Coolant heater only worked marginally in the lines I plumbed into.
It was in the teens (F) last night and while I had no frost on the front of my Touareg compared to my wife's parked next to it, the coolant was only approx 40-50F and still felt cold after starting the vehicle. Warm up was only slightly quicker (by about 3 minutes).
Due to limited space in the engine compartment, a circulation pump may be required as relying on hydronics didn't work where the heater and line are located.
I have an after-run coolant pump from a former S4/6 that I may add inline and power it with a small AC/DC converter. From my research it shouldn't draw much more than 2amps and could potentially be spliced into the main AC 120V power cable.

I'll post more when I have given that a try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.