Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I have just moved to Shetland & out of necessity needed a 4x4.
I always wanted a BMW X5 40d xdrive but after testing the SE and M sport models I was gutted how hard the ride was. The chassis felt like it was from an F1 car.
So looking around and noticed a Touareg for sale not far from my sisters in Leicestershire.
I took a trip down and as soon as I had driven it 2 miles I wanted one. Could'nt do the deal for that one but bought a 2011 white SE bluemotion model.
All I can say to people is they are awesome. Powerful, smooth and actually gets me up my 1/4 mile track to my home.
I had a VW Golf GTD dsg before so know what the gearboxs are like, they are so smooth.
Drove it back home, over 500 miles and keeping to speed limits averaged over 40mpg. Superb.
The Touaregs are underrated except by their owners.
I look forward to joining in on the forum.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Welcome to the party. I picked mine up in the fall when the diesel crisis hit and the prices dropped. Couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine for a great price eventually after negotiating hard with the dealer. I never pay top price, even for VW parts and servicing.
I will be putting the winter tyres on for next year as roads are very abrasive up here because they need to be.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Welcome - hope you enjoy it.

It's not a DSG on the Touareg, it's a conventional torque-converter + planetary gears autobox from Aisin, part of Toyota.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
One of the best and worst aspects of these vehicles is that nobody knows what they are

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Isn't the DSG box somewhat problematic?
It has been. The fluid was a problem on quite a few cars I think. Once changed it is usually okay but needs regular changes at, every 40K.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a 2010 passat wagon so equipped, mated to a 2.0t motor...serviced per recommendations...zero issues.

VW wants it serviced every 40k miles, so I've done mine twice now.

Outside of brakes and tires and a battery, the DSG service, oil changes and an alignment are all the car has asked from me. Pretty sweet car, knock wood, and the cargo capacity, seats folded, approaches what you get in the Touareg. All good.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I think that comes from people not maintaining them. The 40K mile service is important and when it doesn't happen, that's when bad things occur. It's quite the complicated piece of machinery, but it is so much fun! My Eos has the DSG and I love it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There was a worldwide (but frequently denied) problem with the VAG dry-clutch 7-speed DSG/ S tronic transmission.

In an effort to make them maintenance-free they were filled with synthetic fluid on the production line.

The problem is that over time and especially in a hot climate, this fluid becomes conductive and fuses the Mechatronics leaving the car with no means of changing gear and thereby no drive.

The recall fix was to drain the synthetic fluid and refill with mineral oil.

The later, 6 speed, wet clutch DSG box does not appear to have suffered the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
There was a worldwide (but frequently denied) problem with the VAG dry-clutch 7-speed DSG/ S tronic transmission.

The later, 6 speed, wet clutch DSG box does not appear to have suffered the same problem.
I believe you are spot on, the 7 speed was the train wreck, not the 6 speed.

Stuart..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my 2.5 3 years now 55 plate rare manual sport think I'll keep it till it dies, best car I've ever had, if they sill made the same car today I woul buy a new one but sadly they are quite different today

1 - 15 of 15 Posts