Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have reviewed the past threads on this but remain stuck. I have a 2006 Treg V6 that I am replacing the driveshaft on. At 135k, I'm lucky it didn't happen sooner. I have the front of the shaft completely free, but CANNOT get the rear loose. I've followed the instructions, did the e-brake w/ wheels chocked and power (forward and reverse) before I unbolted the front. No good. I tried lowering the rear of the subframe as suggested in one thread, but it doesn't move at all (yes the 2 front bolts for the subframe are quite loose). Tried the BFH deal but also nothing, just some black grease discharge. I am stuck. Help please!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Judicious use of the torch may be next. If it were mine I'd hook it back up in the front and try again in drive and reverse Now that you've used ths BFH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judicious use of the torch may be next. If it were mine I'd hook it back up in the front and try again in drive and reverse Now that you've used ths BFH
Thanks lgibson. Sounds right. Getting on it now and will post my results. Didn't think it'd be this much trouble. :frown2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hooked up the front flange to the transfer case, bolted up the carrier bearing support, and tried the powering forward and reverse again. Nothing. Applied more power than I was comfortable with......nothing. Seems like this technique should work like a charm! Any suggestions? Im returning to the BFH unless someone has an idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's done! Power F and R did not work again! Had to keep the front bolted up, the carrier bearing bolted in place, the rear UNbolted. Put a jack under the rear of the shaft as far back as possible, raised the jack so the weight of the car was on the jack and the prop, but ....nothing. Then my son and I (combined 450#) stood on the trailer hitch, bounced a few times, and it popped loose! Had considerable trouble bolting the front in place with the flex disc pre-installed on the new shaft, it didn't want to line up right away. Having a very minor rumble during test drive at around 60 mph, but I'm sure a little tweaking of the carrier bearing mount will resolve that. Importautoparts.com was my source for the shaft. Hope this helps someone. Quite a job for me, and I'm not a complete nooby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts