Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Xenon to hid conversion

I have 05 treg with xenon bulbs as well as hid bulbs.
However, I would like to know anyone has successfully converted the xenons to HID and if so, what was the process and did/does it make sense to do such a conversion?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 05 treg with xenon bulbs as well as hid bulbs. However, I would like to know anyone has successfully converted the xenons to HID and if so, what was the process and did/does it make sense to do such a conversion?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Why would you convert factory xenons to after-market xenons [HIDS]?

Do you mean convert xenons to halogens? If so you'd be mad - older Touaregs on halogen bulbs have a piss-poor light output!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was thinking of converting the xenons to HIDS.
Reason:

Xenon modules failed on me so I'm looking for a more affordable substitute.

The wires to the xenon bulbs have burned their sheaths off....

Now power does not come out of the xenon modules at all!(fuses are good)...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are the burnt wires on the car harness, or in the headlight assembly?

The factory parts are very high quality - I'd suggest getting used parts to fix your damaged fixture.

-J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree.

The wires in the headlight assembly are burnt.
Really would like to get aftermarket harnesses, but the next issue then is modules themselves.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Xenon/HID, same thing and you do not want to go to halogen after having xenon. You would not be happy with the light output at all. Get the wiring fixed and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have 05 treg with xenon bulbs as well as hid bulbs.
However, I would like to know anyone has successfully converted the xenons to HID and if so, what was the process and did/does it make sense to do such a conversion?

Thanks
Xenon and HID are the same thing.

Please read up on lighting here:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Not if you are talking HALOGEN to XENON/HID (High intensity Discharge) then again read up on the site above. Halogen the gas used in standard automotive lighting, Xenon is the gas used in HID capsules (they are not technically bulbs). Quickly, going from halogen to HID will require the complete gas discharge lamp. You cannot buy a kit and install in Halogen lamps, it will not work properly despite what people think!!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
HIDs use the factory wiring anyway. Fix the factory xenons.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If this is referring to my post, I did not read all of them. Just the OP. Yes repairing gas discharge lamp wiring would in-fact fix the issue.

I am not clear on what you are saying? Of course the factory HID lamps use factory wiring! If nothing has been modified, repair the wiring and move on.
Please take pictures of the problem. Is the ballast wiring screwed? Or just internal wiring?

My suggestion is to disable DRL as well.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
My post was to the OP.

Totally pointless buying a HIDs kit that needs the factory wiring to be in good order to be able to plug in the additional loom that comes with the kit!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thank you guys for the advice.

Does anyone know where I can find the harness that connects all the bulbs within the headlight assembly ( minus the xenon harness )?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Some parts of the headlight you can buy but I think you will simply have to rewire the unit yourself or get an auto electrician to do it for you. I would go with the latter. It is a bit fiddly but an hour should see the job done on each light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts