Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, one of my headlight bulbs has gone (Xenon gas discharge). VW tell me its approx £130 for a new one!!!! Has anyone got a good solution to this financial pain, eg with an alternative supplier? All thoughts appreciated!

Tim

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are lots of aftermarket D1S bulb suppliers now. I just boaght a PAIR for $199 CDN (they are ALL made in china). I recommend getting a pair and keeping the remaining good bulb as a spare. The colours will not match if you just buy 1.

Look for 4300 to 500K colour - don;t go higher or lower

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just had one changed under warranty so explore that option if you are still within range. TDI is right, they won't match. I have one off hue colour now, but it's brighter. Hopefully the other one goes under warranty as well :D

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I have a flickering bulb so I'll try and get it replaced under warranty next time I'm in. I remember reading something where they were supposed to be replaced in pairs? Any truth to this or does VW cheap out when they are replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,402 Posts
I have a flickering bulb so I'll try and get it replaced under warranty next time I'm in. I remember reading something where they were supposed to be replaced in pairs? Any truth to this or does VW cheap out when they are replaced under warranty?
VW put out a TSB to explain that it was normal for the color of new ds1 bulb to not match the color of the other "old" ds1 bulb.

I guess that is an answer (of sorts).

·
Registered
353 Posts
This may be a stupid question but if the Xenon lights stop working do the DRL still work? I ask because the headlights on my 04 put out hardly any light at night. There is absolutly no differance in light output when I turn the headlights on from the DRL that are already on. Highbeams are just a fraction brighter but an old Model T puts out more illumination then this truck.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Highbeams are just a fraction brighter but an old Model T puts out more illumination then this truck.
The xenons get dimmer as they die. They are the drls and the lowbeams.

The highbeams are halogen bulbs.

The touareg turns on the xenons when the door is unlocked, turns them off when the starter hits, and finally turns them back on after the starter stops (when in auto lights on). This design hurts lifespan since the hardest thing on a xenon bulb is igniting it.

But something is not right. You should have decent light. I would not be suprised to see very dim xenons in a 2004, but the halogens should still be good unless you have used high beams a lot.

Geoff now sells the German made xenons at a good price.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
The highbeams are halogen bulbs.
This is only correct if you have them VAGged to do so. On the Xenon equipped Tregs the high and low are the Xenon bulbs. The inner halogen bulb is strictly a passing high beam and only comes on when you pull back on the lever. I believe on the non Xenon Tregs the inner halogen is the high beam.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
This is only correct if you have them VAGged to do so. On the Xenon equipped Tregs the high and low are the Xenon bulbs. The inner halogen bulb is strictly a passing high beam and only comes on when you pull back on the lever. I believe on the non Xenon Tregs the inner halogen is the high beam.
OMG Yeti! :writers_block: I have had the 6 light salute for so long... I forgot that it was not the default behavior! It is one of the best mods ever for the Touareg!

I did not intend to misspeak on this issue.
Yeti, Thank You for the correction.

Tlawes, the xenon ds1 bulbs are available from aftermarket at a much better price then the dealer will charge.

Atokivi, It still seems like your xenon ds1 bulbs are near death. Check out this thread: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...illips-bulbs-at-a-compelling-value-21356.html

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just had both my xenon bulbs replaced under warranty by the dealer even though only one was flickering. I mentioned it and they said yeah, no problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Atokivi, It still seems like your xenon ds1 bulbs are near death.
I know nothing about xenon bulbs so what do you mean by near death? All I know about light bulbs is that they either work or they don't when they burn out. Can't I replace them with regular $10 halogen bulbs? I don't drive much at night anyway.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
So this could be why when I switch to high beams it barely makes a difference?
The xenon bulbs burn at the same intensity. How the high beams work is there is a shutter inside the headlight and when you flick on the highs --- the shutter opens up and pours the rest of the light out in front of you.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
So this could be why when I switch to high beams it barely makes a difference?
Yes, as TREGinginCO pointed out, you are seeing the same light bulb output on both low and high beams. (Yes, The xenon bulbs are the only bulbs working on low beam or high beam). When you turn on high beams, a shutter opens up inside the light assembly that allows the light travel upward and further out.

If your xenon bulbs are near death (very dim) you would see very little difference between low beam and high beam.

There is a second set of halogen lights that are in all the Touareg-1 models with xenon. Normally these only light up when you pull back on the turn signal stalk. These are called "passing lights" or sometimes the "visual horn."

There is a mod you can do if you have the vag-com, the "6 light salute." You can reprogram the system so that the halogen and xenon both come on when you turn on the high beams. That really lights up the night.

Back to the xenon bulbs. As they wear out, the either: (1) start to flicker (2) get progressively dimmer or (3) both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly what has happened to my passenger side xenon headlight, It looks to have pink eye. Is this really covered under warranty??? I have 43,XXX Miles on my 2004 V8 Now.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Exactly what has happened to my passenger side xenon headlight, It looks to have pink eye. Is this really covered under warranty??? I have 43,XXX Miles on my 2004 V8 Now.

Unfortunately... you're out of the 4yr/50k bumper to bumper protection... if you purchased your car in '04.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If that is true is that true on for US models, my treg was german built and sold in CR, but has low beam and DRL using Xenon, adn when i go to HB the halogens come on and the Xenon say on, if i can make it like my A4 that would be great, where can i find the VAG COM codes to make this change. Here in CR they sell Tregs in 3 levels of lux, and only the top two have Bi-Xenon's listed, the dealer told me my car has low beam Xenon only and halogen HB seems stupid to me, so i am hoping it is a coding option as you say....

thanks in advance.

Rick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts