Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a hand diagnosing a xenon headlight issue...

2005 V8

Started with the xenon bulb working only on the driver side, but the high-low shutter did not work. No light on the passanger side. So I put a new bulb in the passanger-side side, nothing. Next step, I swapped the ballasts left to right. Now the passanger side works, including high-low shutter. Right side does not work now. So it looks to me like I need a new ballast. But my question is, does the ballast also control the high-low shutter? Or will a new ballast give me light on the drivers side, but the shutter still will not work? Is the shutter controlled by something else?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry, can't help on shutters, but always replace both bulbs on a xenon system - the light output drops over time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Welcome to ClubTouareg!

Have you tried pulling codes? I don't know offhand if a bad ballast would set a code...pretty much everything else does on these cars...

You need a genuine Ross Tech cable and a Windows laptop (or a Mac running a Windows VM) and the Ross Tech software. Alternately, you can use their wifi dongle. Either way, the Ross Tech software is very useful for diagnosing problems and changing configuration parameters.

Check out Ross Tech for more information.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ok, I need a hand diagnosing a xenon headlight issue...

2005 V8

Started with the xenon bulb working only on the driver side, but the high-low shutter did not work. No light on the passanger side. So I put a new bulb in the passanger-side side, nothing. Next step, I swapped the ballasts left to right. Now the passanger side works, including high-low shutter. Right side does not work now. So it looks to me like I need a new ballast. But my question is, does the ballast also control the high-low shutter? Or will a new ballast give me light on the drivers side, but the shutter still will not work? Is the shutter controlled by something else?
Ballast only control the headlamp bulb power. There should be a motor inside the lamp that controls the shutter. Sounds like it could be a ballast but I am thinking more of a wiring issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Upon further inspection, the wiring inside the drivers side assembly was REALLY hacked up. Lots of electrical tape and bare wires. I saved myself the headache of trying to re-wire and just bought a new (used) assembly and reinstalled my bulbs and ballast. Fired right up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Got it. Upon further inspection, the wiring inside the drivers side assembly was REALLY hacked up. Lots of electrical tape and bare wires. I saved myself the headache of trying to re-wire and just bought a new (used) assembly and reinstalled my bulbs and ballast. Fired right up.
Proving once again the old adage: "Every electrical problem is mechanical." :)

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good - glad you're sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts