Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Touareg TDI, '08 E90 M3, '95 4 Runner, several bikes, race cars, etc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt these WTBs work very often, but maybe I can tap some brains to find out if what I want even exists. If somebody has what I want for sale, let me know. I've bought and sold cars across the country before. It's a pain, but I find if can in fact work out.

Basically, I need a truck to tow my travel trailer with. My wife has a 16 TDI Lux and it pulls beautifully. But I need to be able to tow it with my car. So looking for a second T'reg in the family.

I want a gen1 cause I want the locking center and rear diff and the air suspension. And I want a TDI.

Question: Did they import V6 TDIs with air suspension and both locking diffs to the US market?

Question: Is there an add on "Tow Package" for Gen1's, (bigger transmission cooler, brakes, etc)?

Question: How scared of the V10 should I be? I'm a pretty handy guy. I have a VagCom, I've built a turbo motor for an R32, rebuilt a Jetta TDI, etc etc. Can I truly not pull the motor in a home garage?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only NA Gen 1 would be a V6 or V8 gas, or the V10 TDI. Good luck finding one of those. I'd love (lust?) one myself, but my V8 was already costing more to run per year than my V12 s class with nearly 200k. And that definitely does not count regular maintenance or gas, which in the V8, sits around 15.

If you want an older Touareg, particularly with all the options, and super-especially a V10, you either know what you want and are signing up for something clear-eyed, or you are flipping a coin and potentially walking away a year later in tears. I don't get the feeling you are quite sure what you are leaping off the cliff into, so you may want to look for something like a 90s land cruiser

·
Registered
Current Vehicle #1 - 2012 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CATA Current Vehicle #2 - 2014 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CNRB
288 Posts
He said Gen 1 not T1. T1 and T2 would be Gen 1....that means up to 2010.

2009 was when the V6 TDI appeared.
The only NA Gen 1 would be a V6 or V8 gas, or the V10 TDI. Good luck finding one of those. I'd love (lust?) one myself, but my V8 was already costing more to run per year than my V12 s class with nearly 200k. And that definitely does not count regular maintenance or gas, which in the V8, sits around 15.

If you want an older Touareg, particularly with all the options, and super-especially a V10, you either know what you want and are signing up for something clear-eyed, or you are flipping a coin and potentially walking away a year later in tears. I don't get the feeling you are quite sure what you are leaping off the cliff into, so you may want to look for something like a 90s land cruiser
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info NC2005V8. I think I'm pretty clear-eyed about the risks of getting into a V10. I can and like to do most everything myself -- but I don't think I can pull a V10 motor tranny combo in my garage.

I already have a 95 4runner, and I love it. If any Toyota other than a Tundra could pull 7700 lbs, I wouldn't be here 😜.

WolverineFW -- are you saying that there are V6 TDIs with air suspension and/or locking diffs from 2009-2010?

·
Registered
Current Vehicle #1 - 2012 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CATA Current Vehicle #2 - 2014 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CNRB
288 Posts
Apparently there are a few floating around with air suspension but they are rare. You get 4Xmotion with low range and center locking but I am not sure there are any after 2008 in NA with a rear locking differential.

·
Super Moderator
9,705 Posts
No rear locking diffs on the NA V6 TDI's that I'm aware of. I have what you are seeking aside from that rear diff, but not interested in selling it. Air in the V6 TDI is rare. Was by special order only. Dealers did not just buy them to sit on the lot for sale. The V6 is a better balance than the V10 imo. I thought the V10 was very nose heavy when I drove one. The V6 get better mileage as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@CarNut2 - I should have been more specific - if there were a non-full size (Tundra based) Toyota that could pull 7700 lbs.... :)

@Yeti - thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm in no hurry so I can look around for a bit, as I also ponder if I want to take a plunge into the V10. Certainly everything about the V6 makes more sense, just can't seem to shake the idea of the V10 out of my head.

·
Super Moderator
9,705 Posts
Keep in mind if you have certain issues it generally requires motor out to fix it. Drops from the bottom not the top on a V10.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack (GFG/6MT)
56 Posts
Why not just get another T3/T4 (Gen 2, 2010+ TDI).... ? I know you want those diffs and the air but the updated platform rides better, is more agile etc. can upgrade static suspension and add towing bags to the rear. Then you’ve got a newer car with less likelihood of electrical gremlins and updated interior

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good and reasonable suggestion. (Not that sound judgement is why I love the vehicles that I love :rolleyes:)

Any suggestions on Tow Bags for a T3/4?
Why not just get another T3/T4 (Gen 2, 2010+ TDI).... ? I know you want those diffs and the air but the updated platform rides better, is more agile etc. can upgrade static suspension and add towing bags to the rear. Then you’ve got a newer car with less likelihood of electrical gremlins and updated interior

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently there are a few floating around with air suspension but they are rare. You get 4Xmotion with low range and center locking but I am not sure there are any after 2008 in NA with a rear locking differential.

New to the forum....I have a 2008 with air and both center and rear lockers in pristine condition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after a lot of reading, thinking, and checking out a bunch of what's available, here's my wish list, in order:

1. T1/T2 TDI V6 with Air and/or Rear Locker (if it exists). Especially rear locker. It doesn't snow a lot in Portland, but when it does it's bad.
2. V10 with Air and Rear Locker. Willing to do some work on it, but definitely needs to have the Rear Locker if I'm gonna get into a V10
3. Gas with Air and Lockers
4. T3/T4 that maybe needs some work and I can get into it cheap. Reason this is lowest on the list is that my wife has one, and having two of the same car is less interesting to me.

I'm doing my looking in various places/classifieds, but if anybody knows of anything hit me up.

·
Super Moderator
9,705 Posts
T2 was the only V6 TDI option and no rear locker version came to NA for that one. Unless there are ex Corp cars running around with it. I have yet to hear about any though. V10's all came with them as far as I know. Those just can be a maintenance night mare I'd something goes wrong. A few things need to have the motor dropped for service. If you have the means then that would be your best option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts