Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking to buy a 2014+ TDI. Let me know what you have. No beige interiors please.
Located in Chicago, however willing to fly out to pick one up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi guys, looking to buy a 2014+ TDI. Let me know what you have. No beige interiors please.
Located in Chicago, however willing to fly out to pick one up.
I perused Autotrader and cars.com for 2 months to find my 16 Lux. I got very lucky to find one only 200 miles away.

You will need to check the listings at least twice a day, narrowed down to the specs you want (I wanted under 30,000 miles, Lux, black or terracotta leather, vented seats and no lane departure or ACC), then keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I perused Autotrader and cars.com for 2 months to find my 16 Lux. I got very lucky to find one only 200 miles away.

You will need to check the listings at least twice a day, narrowed down to the specs you want (I wanted under 30,000 miles, Lux, black or terracotta leather, vented seats and no lane departure or ACC), then keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.
Thanks! Yes, definitely checking the listings all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you mind revealing the purchase price of your 2016 Touareg TDI? I am in the market for one too and
the asking price by the dealers seem quite wildly fluctuates. In addition, dealers asking price is far much higher than the KBB or Carfax's suggested prices for the vehicle they're selling.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Would you mind revealing the purchase price of your 2016 Touareg TDI? I am in the market for one too and
the asking price by the dealers seem quite wildly fluctuates. In addition, dealers asking price is far much higher than the KBB or Carfax's suggested prices for the vehicle they're selling.
I know what you mean by "wildly fluctuates". For the vehicles I was looking at (purchase parameters above) I was seeing prices as high as $52,000 with under 10,000 miles. Even in my market range of 20,000 to 30,000 miles I was seeing $48,000+.

I did not want to pay a huge premium, I was hoping to get one for under $35,000. But very few were that low. I also wanted a CPO and it had to be a 2016 (for the vented seats).

I found mine with 20,400 miles, terracotta seats and etc for $34,990. The dealership posted it on Autotrader on a Friday night, I called them at 10 am Saturday morning and said I could be there in 4 hours. The salesman was very nice, but he told me the car had only just come in, had not been prepped and the keys were locked up in the service managers office. He said it wouldn't be ready for anyone to take home for at least a week. I offered to give him a deposit with my credit card, but he said that wasn't how they worked there but I would have first dibs when it was ready.

I did not believe him as I had one car at a Denver dealer previously that I was trying to buy but the salesman sold it to someone else- without telling me so I kept sending emails asking why he wasn't replying...

But Volkswagen of Bozeman didn't do that to me. They kept their word and 2 weeks later my wife and I drove over and purchased it.

The car was first put into service in November 2017, so when I purchased it in August it still had 1 year 3 months on the bumper to bumper warranty, plus it has the CPO for 2 more years after that. Effectively fully covered until November 2022. The powertrain and emissions warranties are good until November 2027.

I had many people ask me how I got such a great deal (and fyi I didn't try to haggle on the price) and the answer is twofold- In Montana most people spending $30,000+ on a diesel are going to buy a truck, not a glorified station wagon. Also the previous owner's dog had done significant damage to the interior and it didn't get fixed perfectly. All 4 door panels have chew/claw marks and two of the door pillar trim pieces were messed up. But the dog apparently didn't like the taste of leather- the seats, steering wheel and shifter are all perfect. I decided the superficial damage was acceptable.

Probably worked in my favor also that this car did not have the ACC and lane departure option (invoice is +$2,500). The only thing I wanted in that package would have been the heated steering wheel. But not a deal-breaker for me.

I'd say if you can find a TDI Lux under $40,000 if the miles are low and it has the CPO warranty then it would be fair. They are out there, but the well priced ones won't be around for long.

·
Registered
70 Posts
madkiwi - I really like the deal you got. An added bonus was how close to home it was for you. To the op - I would try to get a 2016 and find one where the in-service date is as late as possible. I've seen a couple 2016 Lux's for sale with a 2019 in-service date!! The reason is that your new car bumper to bumper warranty (3yr/36K) starts from the in-service date. Most of the 2016's (sold by a VW dealer) will be certified pre-owned. This is an ADDITIONAL 2 years UNLIMITED mileage (for a TDI) and it starts only when the new car warranty ends. In my (relatively short) experience, the 2016's are selling pretty quickly - no doubt due to the attractive warranty period that can be had. But, you should note that most dealers are CLUELESS. Check the carfax report yourself and narrow you search to the cars that meet your criteria but which also have a late in-service date. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts