Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I have not bought a T2 yet.
My major concerns are that it is rated as "much worse than average" reliability by Consumer Reports and even the Owner Satisfaction is at 52% versus 4Runner, Pilot, Cayenne in the mid to high 70%.
I could get the 2008 V6 for about $7k below dealer cost. I want the air suspension.
Should I get the 2009 with the new Nav, shorter warranty but free maintenance closer to MSRP or the 2008 with the bad Nav and longer factory warranty at a discount.
My usage: I have driven with my current Ford Expedition (91k miles, 4x4 with the 4-corner load leveling) from Dallas to past the arctic circle and have been in almost all National Parks.
The poor reliability worries me on my trips to the middle of nowhere.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's no secret that the first 04 models had some bugs to worked out. I had a late 04 and it was almost perfect. My current 07 has been perfect for almost 30K. If you follow CR we would never have any new tech stuff. They are anti change. New and complicated takes time to work out, the Treg has had the time and is now the best.

·
Registered
591 Posts
IMO, you should have no worries about reliability and quality with the new Touaregs. My 07(2nd Treg) has been as solid for 32k as any car that i have owned. My wife's 08 Lexus has not be any better.

I don't even read CR any more when it comes to cars. While they may be true to their point of view, it's definitely not my point of view.

You need to also remember that people participate in forums to publish and learn about problems. The thousands of satisfied customers don't post much. This is just the nature of the beast. I was erroneously worried when I read the Lexus forums prior to buying our Lexus.

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 06 v6 has been issue free (51k miles), my 08 vr6 is at 16k miles and i don't anticipate any issues with it either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassurance.

Does anybody know if there are significantly more mechanical problems with the (obviously more complicated) air suspension? I really want to have that.

What do you all think about getting a 08 with $7000 off invoice versus close to MSRP for 09.
What would the replacement of the old Nav for the new Nav cost or would it make more sense just to get the top-of-the-line Kenwood, Pioneer, Panasonic, Alpine system... ($2000-2500 with HD radio, IPod, possibly HD built in)?
Last question: what are the feelings about shorter warranty (3y/36k) on 09 versus paying for the maintenance and longer warranty on 08 (5y/60k)?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Go the Air, I have it and would not change. My car is 4.5 years old , 135,000 klms and the air suspension still works great.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm on my second with air. Wouldn't want to be without it. If your not going to have it for more than a couple years get the 09, if your a long termer go for the price on the 08.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go with the air suspension. I tested both and in my opinion I like the air better. Plus I plan on doing some towing in the future.

I also was looking at the 2008s and waiting to see what 2009s were going to have. I ended up buying a 2006 V8 with package 4 with 11k miles on it for a great deal. The depreciation on these things from new is steep. If you plan to keep it a long time it does not matter as much. Keep your eye open and you may find some used 2008s out there for a great price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just curious sgunes: What other vehicle would you consider other than the Treg? I bet I can find a negative reference for that vehicle also...point being that you could get a lemon from any manufacturer.

We bought Tregs because of specific reasons - there are nicer SUV's available, more capable SUV's, and surely larger more accomodating SUV's - but the Treg is unique to all of us for our own reasons. Stick with the reason WHY you are looking at the Treg and forget about what you read about problems...

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I agree with dploy...I ended up in a Treg as its the only vehicle that met the criteria I was looking for (handles like a sports sedan, tows like a 1/2 ton pickup, as safe as a bank vault).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Your first mistake: Reading Consumer Reports about vehicles. Unless it's a Toyota or Honda, they generally don't like it. Also, check with what similar vehicles to a Touareg (X5, ML, etc) got ratings-wise from them, and I'll bet you'll see a pattern.

08 vs 09: I'd take the '08. I had a lot of warranty work (driveshaft, headlight bulbs, brake pressure sensor, etc) all done at 47,000 miles on my '05. Had it had the crappy warranty that VW is cheaping out on with the 09's, it would have all been out of my pocket. Not to mention, the services don't start getting really expensive until 40k, which is outside the 36k free service time anyway. Also, I don't believe that 3/36 free service covers wear items like brakes anyway. It's a line of BS, and I personally would take a great deal on an '08 with a longer warranty over a non-TDI '09 anyday.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
from people that have factory nav vs those portable, upgradable units like Garmin etc, I have heard they will never again waste their money on a factory, non-upgradable GPS again, the portable units are so much better. I had Nav in my 350Z and couldn't agree more, factory nav is expensive and inferior to those dash units you can take with you. The 4Runner has a stock radio where you can take the GPS unit with you, that is cool! I wouldn't use the GPS as a deciding factor on the car you want.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Over the years I've purchased or leased 3 brand new and 2 used VWs. My experiences have always been better with the used because in my mind I got what I paid for. A New VW will loose 40-50% of it's value in 24-30 months. So if you want to keep it for a period less then 4 years you're going to take a big hit when you go to trade it.

I bought a loaded '04 V8 in Sept. I paid $22K, when it was new exactly five years ago it was well over $50K. I had a bunch of trouble with it and tried to trade it, I was offered $13K so it lost more then about 76% of it's original value in 5 years.

With that said, I'm still a big fan and now that the dealer worked with me to resolve >90% of the issues under warranty, I'm lovin life with my '04 Treg.

Go with the air and a V8. The interior trim is different and the ride quality is different. Also it sounds like you'll go off road so you'll use the ride height adjustment for more then wowing friends. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why the V8?
Most say that the V6 has enough HP and the V8 will have worse fuel economy.
I expect gas prices to go up to the $4 a gallon range within 9-12 months.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Both the old V8 and the old V6 get about the same gas mileage, this isn't a vehicle to buy (at any model level) if you are seriously worried about gas prices. I say go V8 also, the V6 seems underpowered for the heavy treg and the V8 is much more fun.

Linder

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ditto, what Linder said...

There's less then 10% savings on gas (~ 1MPG). While the V6 will do the job the V8 is noticably more powerful.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The 36 month maintenance included is a marketing smoke & mirrors show to allow VW to show a lower cost of operation in the CR type magazines. It also appeals to the 2-3 year lease crowd that wants only a payment and no other expenses.

I'd buy the 08 without hesitation, paying for oil changes doesn't make up the difference IMO

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If your gonna go new, then definitely go 2008 for the price difference and the warranty, you shouldn't have to worry about the car breaking down on you in remote areas, I have had my 2006 V10 is very remote areas and have never worried about it once, I do strongly recommend getting the air suspension though, makes a huge difference.

Linder

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get the V8. I still can't wipe the smile off my face when I drive.....even when I just filled it up and am pulling away from the gas station. This is not the vehicle to get if you are at all concerned about MPG.
I will say that on the highway I get 19 mpg...not great but I am still pleased.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The other vehicles I looked at/test-drove/researched include the Subaru Forester, Kia Borrego, Honda Pilot, MB 350ML, Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Sequoia, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Nissan Xterra.
I excluded all of them based on different criteria.

Regarding the decision of V6 versus V8.
I figured that I would get about 16-18 mpg with the V6 and only 12-14 with the V8 (80% highway, 20% city).
Are those estimates in line with what other drivers get in real life?
I would love to have the HP of the V8 but I am worried about gas back in the $4 range.
Does everybody use regular or the recommended premium gas?

Anybody know what the extended 7 year/100k mile warranty costs for the 08 versus 09 tregs?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts