Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be picking up new to me 2006 Touareg V6 tomorrow and will need to wire it to tow our pop-up.
I am planning on getting all the stuff from www.etrailer.com (OEM is just too pricy) and doing everything myself. I already have a Prodigy controller from the previous vehicle and have seen great instructions on here to hook that up.

Does that model Touareg come prewired for a trailer connection at all? would this be all I need?
Brake Controller 7 & 4 Way Installation Kit - 10 Gauge etrailer Brake Controller ETBC7

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I keep looking around and find that OEM may be the best way to go. guy I am buying the 'Reg from quoted me $700 for the hitch installed. thats not a bad deal.

should I bother with aftermarket then?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Go OEM at a VW dealer - then you not only get the proper hitch and bolts - feel more assured they remove and replace that rear bumper - but ALSO correctly install the electronics module and re-flash the vehicle's ECM!

Once done there - follow the instructions here for creating your brake control harness and you will be ready to tow everything from your "pop-Up" to a 25 foot Airstream! :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
I hear it is a fairly easy install - but you need to find some with a VAG to flash your system - you can order from your local VW dealer - or check on the web "google" as there are a few folks that will sell them - my local discount at my local dealer ended being the best deal for me after shipping and all would have been done...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1stvwparts has the kit for $700 and the dude I am buying it from will charge me $695 installed.
not a bad deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My total price via my VW dealer (to include re-flash) was $1250.00ish....

Ten percent off on the OEM part - Ten percent off of on the labor - included the goofy Polack 7 pin plug and an adapter for 7 - pin to 4 pin....

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's a great deal - go for it!!!! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is a great deal? having it all done for $700 or buying it for that same price and having to do all the work myself? ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so purchasing the OEM kit and installing it myself seems to be the best option (although pricy).

Apparently the owner of the shop who quoted me $700 installed didnt know what he was talking about. Service manager said it would be almost $1400. oops.

Here is what comes in a kit from VW:

Trailer Hitch part # 7L0-092-105-UA (w/o ball, mount, connector)

• Towing hitch
  • Foam insert
  • Electronic control unit
  • Wiring harness
  • Installation hardware
  • Plug, receiver tube
  • Installation instructions
  • Cover plate, electrical connector
  • 8x hexagonal flange bolt, M12x1, 5x100 10.9 with 8x seal ring
what else do I need? my trailer has a 7 pin connection. lights are non-LED. it has trailer brakes.

Here is the alternative (?) as mentioned in another thread to be used with aftermarket hitch.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Touareg_1--V8/Exterior/Trailer/ES252672/

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi Runner,
no havent gone through it yet. I will be ordering it today and trying to install everything by Memorial Day Weekend (first camping trip of the year).
glad to hear your install went well, I will know who to bother with questions. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so... the hitch is done, now on to the Prodigy install

Hitch install went without a hiccup. I was actually surprised. it was less complicated than putting one on a Honda CR-V.
Thank God for this forum because the instructions that come with it SUCK.

one question: the harness that comes in from the hitch to the module had 2 plugs, black went into the module (so did red from the vehicle) but what about the green one? I found a female green plug that would work but not sure if thats where that goes. once again instructions are ridiculous.

I am trying to decipher JFS' instructions for prodigy install but I am so confused its not even funny. obviously it works and I will eventually get it but its a bit scary.
is there a longer version that may include pictures. LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when to VAG after hitch installation?

scratch that

I found JFS' Cayenne instructions with pics and feel a lot better about that project. should not be too complicated now that I see whats going on. ;)

another question though:
if I have to VAG my system to change it to NA trailer would I have to have the trailer there with me? does it matter if I change it first before adding the brake controller?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
come to find out there is a switch right at the brake pedal on my T'reg, so I can tap into it right there. do I still need a relay?

which black/red wire do I splice into? there are two of them. anybody?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
figured it out!
hooked up the controller yesterday and went for a test drive with the camper. everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts