Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havn't been hanging in this forum for that long so forgive me if this has been covered before.

I think the rain sensing wipers work pretty well, except that in very light rain or misty conditions they don't seem to be sensitive enough. I wish that the single swipe function would work without having to turn the wipers off. Well, I discovered a "move" that works quite well.

With the wipers in auto mode, lower the stalk into single swipe position. Then, rather than just release the stalk, "flick" your fingers off the end (no jokes please) so the stalk will pop back up into the auto position. Not too hard though or it will pop all the way up to fast mode. It only took me a few practice tries to get it down.

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but....
THIS IS A $45,000 CAR!

I think the wiper 'system' is an abomination. I've had the blades replaced, and I've cleaned the windshield with VW products, and the damn thing still shudders and makes a god-awful noise.

The sensor is pathetic. I'd like to drive in the rain with a VW engineer and see how their face turns red of embassasment - that is, if they give a crap.

This is my pet peeve - why such a screwup on a fundamental system, when the rest of the car is so close to perfection?

· Registered
134 Posts
Wipe on, Wipe off

I'm sorry you don't like the wipers.

My experience is different- when the windshield is clean, the wipers don't squeak- and I think the rain-sensing mode works great! We are local, and yesterday in varying rain conditions, the wipers sped up and slowed down visibly, based on the amount od spray, rain, etc I encountered. Pretty trick, I think.

I drive a lot of cars and I think this is the best implementation of automatic wipers of which I'm aware.

I wonder if there is something wrong with your car, or if you just have differing expectations of how they should work?

-Will

· Registered
866 Posts
You can also just twist the dial at the end of the stalk - one click faster then back to where it was, and the wiper will run. Might be easier than the bouncy stalk move trick.

· Registered
4 Posts
rain sensing wipers are speed dependant

Don't forget that the wipers are speed dependant as well. Mine come to a stop as I do at red lights and start up again when I take off. Misty weather is always a challenge, although driving through the Niagra falls viewing area last week, they would come on as needed perfectly.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,304 Posts
I have to agree with others... I really like the auto wiper system on my TOUAREG.

They always wipe at the right time and if I need to increase the sensativity, I just turn the knob.

I really like the system. :clap:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ladytreg, with the stalk all the way down in the single swipe position, flick your fingers off the end of the stalk so the stalk 'pops' back up to the intermittent position. It's really easier than adjusting the sensitivity dial.

· Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but....
THIS IS A $45,000 CAR!

I think the wiper 'system' is an abomination. I've had the blades replaced, and I've cleaned the windshield with VW products, and the damn thing still shudders and makes a god-awful noise.

The sensor is pathetic. I'd like to drive in the rain with a VW engineer and see how their face turns red of embassasment - that is, if they give a crap.

This is my pet peeve - why such a screwup on a fundamental system, when the rest of the car is so close to perfection?

Yeah, mine are always noisy, whether I splurge on expensive wipers or go cheapo.

· Registered
73 Posts
We've had a decent amount of rain/snow here since I bought ours and haven't had a single problem with the wipers (08 model). Cool feature for cold environments:
after the vehicle is shut off, push the wiper stalk down. The wipers will go to the top of the wiping stroke and stop, at that point you can pull them away from the glass so they don't stick...

· Registered
155 Posts
I do toy with the dial sometimes but for the most part I love em. Agreed Clean window helped with wiper noise for me. My back one is a bit noisy now i probably need to replace that blade and clean that window.

· Registered
198 Posts
We've had a decent amount of rain/snow here since I bought ours and haven't had a single problem with the wipers (08 model). Cool feature for cold environments:
after the vehicle is shut off, push the wiper stalk down. The wipers will go to the top of the wiping stroke and stop, at that point you can pull them away from the glass so they don't stick...
Does anyone know if this works on all models or just T2s?

· Registered
385 Posts
Does anyone know if this works on all models or just T2s?
Works on my '05.

I posted this in the 'tips and tricks' thread in GD. Someone said it is the service position.

BTW; You can lift up the wiper arms in any position, not just the service position. I think the service position just makes it easier to reach the passenger side wiper if you're not tall enough.

· Registered
271 Posts
Don't forget that the wipers are speed dependant as well. Mine come to a stop as I do at red lights and start up again when I take off. Misty weather is always a challenge, although driving through the Niagra falls viewing area last week, they would come on as needed perfectly.

That's what gets me - why they stop at a red light makes me insane...and how bout that rear wiper control? Really poorly engineered.

BTW - for the guy who thought that a $45+ car should have them work correctly...get this: My neighbor's new Ferrari 599 has the exact same problem with the rain sensor but worse...it was a sight more than $45k.

· Registered
612 Posts
what i do is clean my window with windex and then put rain-x on it and the wipers dont jump, you have to put rain-x on there about once a month, or depending on how much it rains. most of the time you dont even need the wipers with rain-x but when you do there is no jumping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.