Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed winter rims and tires from Tire Rack today.

Ride quality is surprisingly good for a winter set. More cushioning than the 19" Everest, but you really feel it get squirrelly with sharp lane changes. Road noise is noticeable until the wind noise drowns it out, and I'm ecstatic to report there is zero shaking.

So far I'm happy, we'll see how it performs when the snow and ice hits the pavement... I'm ready for old man winter !!!

Rims: Rial W10X 18" x 8"
Tires: Bridgestone DM-V1 Blizzaks

image-2942705446.jpg

image-2979521281.jpg

image-1384153738.jpg

image-2609310970.jpg

image-528911832.jpg

·
Registered
744 Posts
Blizzaks are great in soft snow and hardpack. I have the same model tire for my Touareg. They are gummy like rubber erasers, with piles of sipes, but the super grippy part of the tread will only last about 15-20K miles.

I also notice mine are slightly louder , but not annoying so. They do NOT perform as well as my Pirelli Scorpions on dry roads. Blizzaks are NOT a dry weather tire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through winter on my OEMs last year... not fun.
I hope to get 3 - 4 winters out of them, I'd be happy with that.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You don't do many winter miles then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed winter rims and tires from Tire Rack today. Ride quality is surprisingly good for a winter set. More cushioning than the 19" Everest, but you really feel it get squirrelly with sharp lane changes. Road noise is noticeable until the wind noise drowns it out, and I'm ecstatic to report there is zero shaking. So far I'm happy, we'll see how it performs when the snow and ice hits the pavement... I'm ready for old man winter !!! Rims: Rial W10X 18" x 8" Tires: Bridgestone DM-V1 Blizzaks
Nice looking rims. I received my 18" pkg with the DM-V1 last week. It's been a warm December here in Boston. Was kind of waiting to mount them on the treg. But I think I will have to this weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking rims. I received my 18" pkg with the DM-V1 last week. It's been a warm December here in Boston. Was kind of waiting to mount them on the treg. But I think I will have to this weekend.
Thanks Henney. I know what you mean, we had a few inches of snow here in New Jersey over the last few days, so I figured it was time… don't want to get caught off guard. Which rims did you get with your DMV1's?... pics??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Henney. I know what you mean, we had a few inches of snow here in New Jersey over the last few days, so I figured it was time… don't want to get caught off guard. Which rims did you get with your DMV1's?... pics??
Msw type 19. I'll mount them tomorrow and post a pic

·
Registered
372 Posts
Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are awesome tires.

I have 12k miles on mine and are still going strong - I drove them thru the summer and now that we've had a few snows, they are still great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We are on our second winter with the 20 inch Michelin Latitude ice x and I love the way they work in ice and snow and even wet roads. I drive dry roads also with no problems.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I left my "summers" on a little later this year, they're Falken STZ05's 20's. We have a pretty steep driveway and I can tell you I was shocked at how poorly the tires gripped the snow. even just allowing the vehicle to coast down the hill with the hill decent on, the vehicle was struggling to keep it straight.

switched to the hakka R's and not even the slightest slip. Every year I've got people telling me winter tires are simply a marketing ploy, but I can tell you it's unreal what a difference they make.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
switched to the hakka R's and not even the slightest slip. Every year I've got people telling me winter tires are simply a marketing ploy, but I can tell you it's unreal what a difference they make.
I hear this same argument all the time. I usually suggest they take a run on snow/ice in dress shoes vs winter boots and let me know how it works out for them...

Those that have never driven on winter tires have absolutely no idea that you can get grip close to wet conditions on snow/ice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are awesome tires.

I have 12k miles on mine and are still going strong - I drove them thru the summer and now that we've had a few snows, they are still great.
What size Wintrac's you're using?

I have a '14 TDI Lux and am considering putting the winter tires (Hakka R2, Vred Wintrac 4, or Blizzak DM-V1) on the stock 19" rims and getting some Victor Zehn or Hartmann 20's for the summer.

I normally buy all my wheels and tires from Tire Rack, as it's close to me, with great fit advice, but they only sell the 265/50-19 DM-V1's. It looks like both the Hakka R2 and Wintrac 4 are available mail order from Waukegan in 255/55-19 which is probably close enough.

I'm in NE Indiana with typical snow/slush and some ice, but other than last winter's craziness, not huge amounts of snow.

Just wondering if the Wintrac or Hakka are really that much better tires vs just going to Tire Rack for the Blizzaks and be done with it?

·
Registered
495 Posts
NickM, Santrooper,

I absolutely agree with you, Snow tyres in winter in the north is a must. Anybody who says different does not know what they are talking about, at all and should keep their nearsighted opinions to themselves. People like that should stay at home and out of the way, if that is the mentality of people who think that snow tyres are a marketing ploy. If there is no snow or ice then, yes, it is a marketing ploy, but if there is snow and/or ice then it changes the scene totally. I get infuriated when I hear comments from drivers who live in their own little world... OK, phew... I am calm now... whooosaaah!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
NickM, Santrooper,

I absolutely agree with you, Snow tyres in winter in the north is a must. Anybody who says different does not know what they are talking about, at all and should keep their nearsighted opinions to themselves. People like that should stay at home and out of the way, if that is the mentality of people who think that snow tyres are a marketing ploy. If there is no snow or ice then, yes, it is a marketing ploy, but if there is snow and/or ice then it changes the scene totally. I get infuriated when I hear comments from drivers who live in their own little world... OK, phew... I am calm now... whooosaaah!
Nice one!

We don't get much snow but when we do, which car do I take out of choice in up to a foot or so of the stuff?

No, NOT the Touareg, but my wife's little front wheel drive pocket rocket on its winters!

I especially enjoy chewing past Range Rover owners stuck on their big, fat, slick summer tires!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts