Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Touareg TDI Lux with extra set of like new 18" wheels from a 2012. Local tire dealer quoted $1150 for the 255/65R18 Hakkapeliuitta R2SUV tires available in stock and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 255x55x18 for order. Any advice on advantage of buying either tire size? Discount tire in the area quoted $1152 mounted and road forced balanced. Appreciate input, Winter has arrived and need to make a decision. :confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the Hakka R's and they have been awesome on the Audi. If we put the Touareg into full-time winter service i would buy the Hakka R2's in a heart beat. Never been let down with the Hakka's. if it were me i would stick to the stock size of 255-55-18 or maybe drop down to a narrower 235-60-18 with the 107 load rating.

·
Registered
366 Posts
2014 Touareg TDI Lux with extra set of like new 18" wheels from a 2012. Local tire dealer quoted $1150 for the 255/65R18 Hakkapeliuitta R2SUV tires available in stock and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 255x55x18 for order. Any advice on advantage of buying either tire size? Discount tire in the area quoted $1152 mounted and road forced balanced. Appreciate input, Winter has arrived and need to make a decision. :confused:
Hey Tabsr. We run Hakka R on our V10. Bought them used, mounted on Rial alloy rims for $1200 (less than 5,000 on them; previous owner bought an S3, and is ironically now back in a TDI Touareg). Same size in summer and winter. 255/65R18 XL weight rating.

Recommended highly. This is our second season in them. I run Nokian WRG2 on my other car, and will get WRG2/3 on my daily driver for winter tires.

But them directly through Norm's Tire in Roseville. They have sold Nokians for years; they won't look at you crooked when you try to get them via another store like Discount, who usually sells cheap snowies, like Grabbers, Blizzaks, or IceBears.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What's the difference between the R2 and the R2 SUV? Does the R2 have sufficient load rating for the Toaureg?

I'm running R2s on all of my Audis and hope to be shopping for snow tires for a Touareg shortly. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
What's the difference between the R2 and the R2 SUV? Does the R2 have sufficient load rating for the Toaureg?

I'm running R2s on all of my Audis and hope to be shopping for snow tires for a Touareg shortly. :)
When i review the Nokian Website i don't see the R2 comes in a size to fit the Touareg, where as the R2 SUV comes in the larger sizes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winter Tire Size

The local VW dealer told me today that VW does not offer Nokian tires and probably are not recommended by VW due to poor load factor???? Another local tire store stated that Nokian R2 is only available in 235x60 size for Touareg with 18" rims !!!

Discount Tire had 70% correct answers.

The Nokian website is confusing, you need to include the R2 SUV in the tire search to find all the larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Tabsr,
Are you absolutely resolved on getting Nokians Hakka R2 tires? They are nice.
I've elected to go with more common, easy-to-find tires and got installed 255/55R18 Pirelli Ice and Snow. They were on sale for like $133 per tire (in May). I think they are 109H-XL-rated. Happy with results - very capable and surprisingly quiet winter tires. Other option was Michelin Latitude X-Ice-2 which are also very quiet winter tires. Sure, neither of these two options looks as nice as Hakka, but they are in stock almost anywhere you go to. Just a thought.
Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hakka

I may be over buying. However, the first time being stuck or on a snow filled Hwy 13 along the LK Superior south shore, traveling for ice fishing to Bayfield, I may be smiling over the decision. During my many 40 yrs business trips traveling from MN to ND, SD, NB and Wyo, some of the 150 mile 8 hour winter blizzard trips required 4 medicinal knob creek manhattans after the motel checkin. Not worth saving the extra $$.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The local VW dealer told me today that VW does not offer Nokian tires and probably are not recommended by VW due to poor load factor???? Another local tire store stated that Nokian R2 is only available in 235x60 size for Touareg with 18" rims !!!

Discount Tire had 70% correct answers.

The Nokian website is confusing, you need to include the R2 SUV in the tire search to find all the larger sizes.
My VW dealer will get me any tires I want...including Nokian. I have Hakka R2s on 18" VW OEM rims 255=55 18 I believe.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I may be over buying. However, the first time being stuck or on a snow filled Hwy 13 along the LK Superior south shore, traveling for ice fishing to Bayfield, I may be smiling over the decision. During my many 40 yrs business trips traveling from MN to ND, SD, NB and Wyo, some of the 150 mile 8 hour winter blizzard trips required 4 medicinal knob creek manhattans after the motel checkin. Not worth saving the extra $$.
When they get you through the crap, the last thing you'll think about is how much more you spent. There will come a time when you will absolutely be glad you purchased them.

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
330 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snows here. You heard what winter in MA was like last year? Brutal. These things rocked it. I was out when the guvnah closed the roads (press pass) and I moved through everything without issue. Even worse stuff later in the season, and up in the mountains of NH in February. Happy camper.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've got Hakka R2's (255/55/18) on order through Precision Frame in Elk River. My 20's were like giant ski's in the slush last night.

On the dealer - Precision Frame is owned by Dick and Nancy - better known on Club Touareg as DickandNancy. They have an 06 V10 and have been members here for a long time. I bought a set of WR G2 SUV's there for my last Touareg. Give him a call!

RV suspension and tires are our specialty

On the tire size / construction - I wouldn't run anything but an XL rated SUV tire FWIW. Good luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
When they get you through the crap, the last thing you'll think about is how much more you spent. There will come a time when you will absolutely be glad you purchased them.
My buddy with an '04 Touareg keeps pushing the Nokian WR (all season) rather than the R2 (both SUV).

I've always run dedicated winter tires on my Audis, and will do the same on the Touareg!

I don't mind swapping wheels/tires twice a year...it gives me an opportunity to stick my nose up into the suspension and take a look see. :)

It also allows me to run wider 3 season (non-snow) tires for better handling in the summer...

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have run the Michelin Latitude X Ice over the past two winters - outstanding wear, noise, handling and ride. Playing with the psi is critical to get the best bite - dialing them down to the 33/34 range on all four corners seemed to help on glare ice and fresh snow - hard pack wasn't a problem at higher or lower pressures. WY DOT had plowed (polished) I 90 without spreading any slag from Sheridan to Gillette - they should have used a Zamboni! The X Ice managed the situation very n-icely...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts