Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve had some good winter storms recently and the Michelin Lattitude X-Ice 235/60-18 tires I’ve been using (their 2nd winter) have performed very well.

I recently purchased a set of 20” OEM Mountain wheels from a forum member who was selling back his 2010 TDI. They came with Hankook Winter Icept Evo tires in 275/40-20. They look to be on their 2nd winter as well. I bought these wheels to use for all-seasons.

Since I plan to drive 900 miles to Arizona and back to visit family on Thursday and didn’t want to put excessive wear on my 18” Michelin winter tires, I put the 20” wheels and tires on now. I’d rather put wear on these because I’m going to use the 20” wheels for all-season anyway. It would also give me time for a quick winter tire size comparison.

We’ve had two storms over the past few days and each dropped between 4-6 inches of new snow. I’ve had several days of winter driving on the Hankook tires and thought I’d share my opinion.

First off, the Michelin tires were tested by Tire Rack and they rank #2 in their category while the Hankook tires do not share the same positive reviews.

Both tires have good traction while accelerating and braking on fresh, untracked snow whether it was 4-6” deep. They also perform similar on ice. So I’d give it a draw on fresh, untracked snow or ice. The narrower (235) tires perform better driving in slush or fresh snow with tracks. The wider (275) tires would float and not have as good contact with the street as the narrower tires.

Although the wider tires have good traction in certain conditions, I have much less control of the Touareg than driving with the narrower tires. I prefer the look of the wider tires but not if it is going to sacrifice winter performance. I will run the 235/60-18 tires one more winter than move up in size to 255/55-18 which is in between the two.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Useful report.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Although the wider tires have good traction in certain conditions, I have much less control of the Touareg than driving with the narrower tires. I prefer the look of the wider tires but not if it is going to sacrifice winter performance.
Seems to align with my theoretical tendencies from the other topic where we were discussing winter tread widths.
It's great that you actually had an opportunity to test the two "back to back".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts