Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven 4500 km in the various unmade and formed roads of the Pilbara, I come home and have a windscreen on my Launch edition cracked by a stone on the city freeway! It is to be replaced by insurance on Tuesday. Can anybody advise if I need to be careful to look out for any lesser quality or otherwise screens? Thanks Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having driven 4500 km in the various unmade and formed roads of the Pilbara, I come home and have a windscreen on my Launch edition cracked by a stone on the city freeway! It is to be replaced by insurance on Tuesday. Can anybody advise if I need to be careful to look out for any lesser quality or otherwise screens? Thanks Ian
Hello Ian just like you I have to replace my windscreen on my 2013 Touareg and I have the same questions and I am not sure where I should purchase the screen from VW or an independent windscreen supplier ?
Kennyg Barwon Heads Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Ian just like you I have to replace my windscreen on my 2013 Touareg and I have the same questions and I am not sure where I should purchase the screen from VW or an independent windscreen supplier ?
My insurance has a single supplier Windscreen O'briens which are a reputable company and they say they have windsceens in stock. They also said they have to calibrate it for the heads up display.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
Hi Ian,

3 points from me
1. Does your insurer have a preferred repairer?
2. I have had a screen replaced on our R32 a few years ago, and was able to get a new screen from Windscreens O'Brien. I used their Malaga office for initial contact, and had the job done at home. Never ever had a problem with the rain/light sensors in the module housing the rear vision mirror behind the screen.
3. I work as an insurance underwriter, and our company uses/recommends Windscreens O'Brien and I have never had any negative feedback in the (limited) contact I have had with customers and spoken of this sort of claim.

Kenny, see my response above. If you are paying for it yourself (as in not an insurance claim) then definitely Windscreens O'Brien from my experience.

Reactions: Kennyg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ian,

3 points from me
1. Does your insurer have a preferred repairer?
2. I have had a screen replaced on our R32 a few years ago, and was able to get a new screen from Windscreens O'Brien. I used their Malaga office for initial contact, and had the job done at home. Never ever had a problem with the rain/light sensors in the module housing the rear vision mirror behind the screen.
3. I work as an insurance underwriter, and our company uses/recommends Windscreens O'Brien and I have never had any negative feedback in the (limited) contact I have had with customers and spoken of this sort of claim.

Kenny, see my response above. If you are paying for it yourself (as in not an insurance claim) then definitely Windscreens O'Brien from my experience.
Thanks Steve.
Yes it appears I have lucked in with Windscreens O'brien. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ended up insisting with my previous insurer that an OEM windscreen be used, they had no issue with that, can't remember but I might have said that due to the rain senson fitting on the screen it will be better to go the OEM route.

TonyB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do,you have adaptive cruise or radar camera in mirror, if so then I suggest Dealer fit genuine VW as they have to recalibrate the cameras
I had mine done in Vic on 2015 7P and RACV had me pay for it and then reimbursed me the $1,850

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do,you have adaptive cruise or radar camera in mirror, if so then I suggest Dealer fit genuine VW as they have to recalibrate the cameras
I had mine done in Vic on 2015 7P and RACV had me pay for it and then reimbursed me the $1,850
Thanks Fred.
Could not convince Windsceens Obrien to fit original so that fiited Plkingtons and guess what they couldn't align the camera. Claimed to have the gear. Now is to have original screen fitted and further attempt to align. Watch this space. not happy Jan.
Cheers Ian

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ian
I was told by my friendly service adviser, I have dedicated guy for the last 12 years and 8 VW’s so fair amount of trust, that they very often have to do recalibration after the “windscreen guys who claimed they could “ and find they can’t and the windscreen guys finish up paying out of their own pocket to save face and reputation.
so push for that if need be.

I think it was a 3 hours and $450 by the dealer just for the calibration and somehow tied back to main VW computer in Germany.

good luck

Fred

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
Thanks Fred.
Could not convince Windsceens Obrien to fit original so that fiited Plkingtons and guess what they couldn't align the camera. Claimed to have the gear. Now is to have original screen fitted and further attempt to align. Watch this space. not happy Jan.
Cheers Ian
Ian...is this going thru Insurance...or out of your back pocket?

·
Registered
88 Posts
We had a screen replaced in our Mk6 Golf R and it turned into a nightmare, non-genuine screen fitted by a large 'national' windscreen company, a few months later the car developed some intermittent faults which eventually developed into a 'dead' car. Turned out the screen was a very poor quality copy of the original and leaked water behind the dash onto the wiring loom which then found its way into a couple of body control modules. After a bit of a standoff with the windscreen guys who initially denied any responsibility, my insurance company agreed to reimburse me for the related repairs and a new genuine screen was fitted. Total bill for all repairs was over $5k. I've had a few screens replaced over the years and never had an issue until this one. Windscreens are much more then just windscreens now and I'll never let anybody fit a non-genuine windscreen again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have further problems does the brains trust suggest I follow up with windscreen co, insurance co, VW Australia or local VW service co or all of the above? How long do I give them to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
SGIO's PDS shows that they can choose to use non-genuine parts to replace your windscreen, sunroof or window glass.

Have you been with them long? Stand your ground, if no satisfaction, request that the matter be elevated to a Supervisor etc etc (I don't need to tell you this, but... ;) )

At the end of the day, windscreen + ancillary work to allow the car to be in the same condition and practical use it was moments before the 'event' are what you pay the insurance for. So, it's going to cost them whichever way they want to do it.

Update as per your next question.
If the insurance company is paying the bill, then any issues re quality, workmanship etc should go back thru the insurance company. Our insurance company provides a lifetime guarantee on work resulting from a claim. i have personally tested this some 6 or 7 years after a claim. No problem. Had panels re-aligned and re-painted on the motorbike...free of charge.
I would expect that SGIO would provide something similar.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ian
Without knowing the sequence of events it is a bit difficult to,advise

if you contacted the windscreen co and they arranged Claim with insurance then I would think that the windscreen people are your first point to contact and have them “honour their “ commitment to undertake the task including the proper alignment of cameras and provide some form of proof that it has been completed.

if you made a claim and suggested that you wanted to a particular insurer and they agreed then I think above also,applies.

if however you made a claim and insurance directed to you to use a particular repairer, then I think all you communication should be with insurance company and zero with windscreen company

Maybe Steve may wish to comment considering his involvement in the industry.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
^^ yep.... Fred has summed it up pretty well.
Each insurer will do things slightly differently, but in principle, Fred's summary is a good path to tread.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you gents. I lodged a claim with insurance and was directed to the windscreen company. Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree, if you lodged a claim with your insurance company then that's who you should be dealing with if you're not happy with the work. In my case I made a claim for a chipped screen, my insurance company organised the replacement which was done at my workshop. Once I discovered the wet modules I again went straight to my insurance company and they had the windscreen guys come back and look at the car, that's when they denied any liability. I had video proof of the issues and invoice and the repairers 'opinion' in writing re the cause. The insurance company sent out an assessor to look at the car and he took one look at the screen and approved the replacement for a genuine screen and I had my repairs reimbursed less then a week later. Incidentally I also got a call from the original windscreen people who were less then impressed that I didn't contact them directly, I not so politely told them how much I didn't care.. I'm assuming my insurance company had invoiced them for the money they had reimbursed me.

·
Registered
2015 R-Line
14 Posts
I've had 3 from 3 non-genuine windscreen sensor fails where the Insurance Co eventually agreed to replace with originals. I have original as an option on current policy now.

Clearly if Im at the back of Bourke I'll get what's available, but will have it swap out at the first sigh of an issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts