Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been several years since I (twice) replaced my driver side window regulator.

Last week it failed, but it was a new problem. Back when I put the new regulator in, I installed rivets to hold it in place like the factory install. The problem was that the consumer pop-rivets that I put in were not of the same quality and strength as the factory rivets. As a result, they pulled loose from the torque of the window motor. And of course it failed in the down position.

Once again I found myself inside the door working on the window. I didn't have to repair anything else except the attachment points at the bottom of the regulator slides. This time, however, I used two bolts with loc-tite on the threads instead of rivets. These should be much stronger.

If you are installing new regulators, I highly recommend using bolts instead of rivets!

As a side note, when I was taking the door panel apart I accidently let go of the cable spool and it came unwound. That thing was a B*TCH to rewind - so keep a zip tie handy to secure that spool in the housing while you are working on the regulator.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So can you tell me how many layers have to come off to replace the glass? Mine is scratched and I have avoided going in there, thinking the carrier plate has to come off in addition to the door trim.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can you tell me how many layers have to come off to replace the glass? Mine is scratched and I have avoided going in there, thinking the carrier plate has to come off in addition to the door trim.
Getting in there is quite an ordeal and not for the faint of heart. I did a write up in this thread the first two times I took on this task:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/window-regulator-help-77175.html

As you see, you take the door trim off, the winding mechanics, the steel cover plate, all kinds of wires, then the door comes off in two parts - top window rail and bottom sheet metal. You would have to drill out and remove the window regulator to get the glass free. Quite a task. But if you do get it stripped down that far you will be able to replace the glass. I took mine out and gave it a good cleaning before putting it back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's been several years since I (twice) replaced my driver side window regulator.

Last week it failed, but it was a new problem. Back when I put the new regulator in, I installed rivets to hold it in place like the factory install. The problem was that the consumer pop-rivets that I put in were not of the same quality and strength as the factory rivets. As a result, they pulled loose from the torque of the window motor. And of course it failed in the down position.

Once again I found myself inside the door working on the window. I didn't have to repair anything else except the attachment points at the bottom of the regulator slides. This time, however, I used two bolts with loc-tite on the threads instead of rivets. These should be much stronger.

If you are installing new regulators, I highly recommend using bolts instead of rivets!

As a side note, when I was taking the door panel apart I accidently let go of the cable spool and it came unwound. That thing was a B*TCH to rewind - so keep a zip tie handy to secure that spool in the housing while you are working on the regulator.
"consumer pop-rivets?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts