Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, the humanity.

I generally love my 'Egg, but MAN is the throttle response lazy! Almost un-livable. I have a V8, and the specs on the motor look pretty impressive. Plenty of torque, great transmission, throttle-by-wire. Cool, right?

I find that at ANY speed, I can pump the pedal all the way down and then let off without any reaction from the car. Someone tell me if they have this same 'problem'. Kick the gas pedal like it is a bass drum and tell me if the car does anything. I can even hold it down for a moment or two and STILL no change to the RPM. It takes at least TWO SECONDS for the car to react to the throttle being pegged.

The result is that the car feels VERY sluggish. Almost like a turbo 4 from the '80's. Big time lag. Keeping the car in 'S' doesn't help much.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to make the throttle more sensitive? Vag-com anyone? I am sure there is more 'go' in the engine...

My other problem is wind noise. I get a loud whistle at around 65 mph. I moved the front roof mount all the way forward and it stopped. But this setup makes more noise than the whistle, so I scooted it back all the way. I know some wind noise is normal for an SUV, but the whistle seems like there is a rough edge somewhere or a missing seal.

Let me know if you have the same problem,

Alessandro

· Registered
4 Posts
Roof Rack whistle

I had the same problem - noise wise....I moved them around until I just got frustrated with it and removed them entirely.

As for the throttle response, mine is great - no problems there, I've just got a really annoying whislte when I'm on the throttle...possibly the intake...I don't know.

GEB.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle ok?

WOw! Thanks, GEB.

To be certain, though, try this and tell me what happens: roll along at a decent speed, say 40 or 50. Hold a steady speed, say in sixth gear.

Then peg the throttle for a millisecond. Just tap it to the floor and then release it right away. Does the car jump? Does the tach respond?

I get nothing. Zip. Again, I can do a double-tap, or tap and hold for a few beats, and it still won't gun the motor. The downshift feels sluggish and it feels like it is bogging down sometimes. When it gets in the 4k RPM range it feels great, but slow in getting there.

No complaints from a standing start, just from cruising speed.

THanks again,

Alessandro

· Registered
58 Posts
Air noise

I noticed a faint but annoying whistle inside the cabin from the moment I first drove the car. I tracked it down to the rear passenger side B-pillar air vent when the fan speed was about 3/4 power.

I, and rear passengers from time to time, have have noticed it coming from different sides, usually as the climate control varies the fan speed.

Solution? Turn down fan speed - although I appreciate that this shouldn't be necessary.

See what you think.

· Registered
12 Posts
This is interesting.

Of the many reviews that I read, several made comments about the throttle response being a little slow ("Big Box Sports Cars", from Car and Driver to be specific).

I was concerned about this before buying the Touareg, especially after turning in my BMW 330i, which had awesome, almost pre-emptive response. But I have got to tell you, I do not feel any throttle lag at all. It responds very quickly. I also do not experience any of the tip-in problems which causes a surge off the line that others have mentioned.

Since the V8 is drive by wire, this leads me to believe it is related to a software issue or a servo motor (which controls the butterfly) issue.

I would have the dealer service this.

-BD

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe transmission?

Hey BrunDog,

Interesting... So you notice no lazy throttle anywehere?

I'm starting to suspect the transmission and not the throttle... If I'm crusing along with little or no weight on the gas peddle, the transmission drops me into a VERY high gear. Then if I goose it, it kicks down two or THREE gears to launch. This takes a couple of seconds, during which time the throttle does nothing.

Eventually the transmission picks the right gear and I"m off, but this takes a good two count, which is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm too used to muscle-cars or the XK8 or something, but this is really cutting into my enjoyment of the car. If I keep it in tiptronic mode, I'm fine. Even if I drop it into 6th at 40mph and then jump on the gas, I get ok response. But in auto or 's' mode, if I floor it at 40 it disconnects everything until the transmission puts me in 3rd gear.

Is this normal? Should I just learn to deal with it, or do I go get it checked?!

Alessandro

· Registered
50 Posts
I have noticed the same lag in Drive mode, but only at speed. From a standing start, my V8 Treg throttles up quickly without lag and without much throttle pedal travel. As with your experience, tiptronic mode at speed gives an instant throttle response. I'd be willing to wager this is by design. Though, you never know, it may be VAGable.

I traded in a C5 Vette with manual transmission for this thing. So I completely understand what you are missing here. I've been driving manual transmissions for so long, that having to use tiptronic to get this crate to haul doesn't bother me. It's just slam right, slam back twice and peg it. Kinda fun if you ask me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve,

Excellent, this is great feedback! I'm just not used to the LONG delay before the shifts happen. Agreed from a stop, tho, no problem at all. She launches fine and throttle response is great. Just problematic when in motion. Even punching it out of a corner is tough, just too much lag.

A friend drove the Touareg for the first time and, while he loved it, he asked if it was a turbo and was also shocked at the delay when you jump on it. He normally dives a Jeep.

And I often NEED to accelerate to merge, change lanes, get out of someone's way, etc. Having a two-second pause at such times isn't cool! I'd rather it just kept it in high gear and pulled with the torque.

I have the VAG, so I'll see if anything yields fruit there... I've driven some VERY underpowered vehicles with lousy three-speed automatics that kick down and launch faster than this, though. I'll see if the dealer lets me drive a demo model so I can see if they all do this.

Meanwhile, I'll drive it in Tiptronic mode as often as I can!

Thanks,

Alessandro

· Registered
4 Posts
Lag and other whistles, etc....

Yeap,
Skeeter I think your lag issue may be perception (as pointed out by the others)....mine seems great (when compared to my wife's old Honda) and laggy when compared to 95RX-7 T04E weekend driver! I do notice a distinct difference between the Drive and Sport modes. I keep the thing in Sport when driving around town.

Speaking of whistles....do any of you notice a high pitched whistle when on the throttle? It is only with throttle on and I can modulate the sound by getting on/off throttle....it's driving me quite batty! The only possible explanation I've thought of would be intake noise, however, it's unlike any intake noise I've heard before.....it really is driving me mad. It seems more noticeable from the Driver's set than the Pass. seat.

GEB.

· Registered
12 Posts
Transmission is one thing, but throttle response is another. You need to figure out which one is the problem.

As far as I am concerned, put the car in neutral. Tap the gas. Does the engine respond quickly? If so, then your throttle is OK.

When I roll at any speed, and blip the throttle, the car surges, and if the torque converter is not locked, the RPM's rise.

Again, I remember reading reviews that said response is slow and pedal travel is unusally long, but I do not feel this way at all in my t-reg, and remember, I just came off a BMW 3 series, which had awesome response.

-BD

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whistle

GEB, it oughta be an easy dignosis, no? Put the car in neutral and see if you can get whistle by playing with the RPMs. Maybe pop the hood if you suspect the intake.

Mine comes on predictably at 65mph. VERY annoying and high-pitched, I suspect it is coming from the roof somewhere...

Good luck!

Alessandro

· Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar problem with slow response, but I attributed it to the fact that this is the first automatic I've ever driven. That's specifically why I didn't want an automatic - I don't feel like I'm in control of the car, especially when I'm in heavy traffic.

I used to own a Saturn SL2 5-speed, and naturally, I could make it do what I wanted it to. Obviously it is not a high-performance vehicle, but it responded a LOT faster than my T-reg.

I thought it was just me...I'd like to hear more on other people's experiences with this issue. Mine happens no matter what speed I'm going. I really notice it when I need speed right then, and it takes 2 seconds before I get a response. I will try putting it in neutral and see what happens.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
throttle lag!

Well, the lag is still around, and VW hasn't figured it out! GRRRRRR!

I've brought my '04 V8 in three times for various serious problems (not including the throttle lag issue) and had them inspect for the throttle problem each time. Each time they find no problem and can't replicate it. Naturally, the damn thing only does it three or four times a week, and very un-predictably at that.

Typical scenario: I'm driving along @ 5-10 mph in 'D' with the transmission in second gear and foot light on the gas. I'll have the need to accelerate through an intersection or in front of a truck and will bury the throttle. No response. Nothing. Wait one one thousand. Two one thousand. Three one thousand. Slowly at around three or four one thousand the engine wakes up and builds revs and the car launches as normal. I have to keep the throttle buried the whole time, even if I back off and peg it again it makes no difference...

Drives me absolutely nuts! I'm seriously thinking of selling the car due to this problem, it bothers me that much. I had a flash of inspiration a week or two ago and thought it might be an over aggressive traction control. So I shut it off every time I started the car. No luck, it does the exact same thing.

No difference if the engine is warm or cold, it does it just the same. The service department at Broadway VW in Oakland, CA instantly knew what I was asking, but then said that they couldn't find a problem and hadn't heard about the complaint before. Hmmmm.

Any fellow laggy throttle owners out there?

Skeeter

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
The throttle is drive by wire. If the computer sees you are also on the brake, it will not accelerate. So first, be sure you are not on the brake with the other foot. If that isn't the problem, then have the dealer check to be sure the brake isn't sticking and thus indicating to the computer that this fellow is on the brake so don't accelerate.

Read the third post in this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1071911

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
def'netly not on the brakes :(

Good thought! But I can load up the torque converter by braking and revving the engine also, can't I? Time to lay down some rubber tracks on the way out to lunch and find out!

But I'm DEFINITELY not on the brakes. Interesting thought that they could be sticking, I'll inquire. If I let off the throttle during one of these lags, I don't slow down, the car just keeps rolling... Guess it could be BARELY on the brakes, but this seems like a longshot. And the dealership can't replicate anyway... Fun fun fun FUN!

I'll hassle them and see if they'll clean and inspect the brake pads or something, maybe that'll help. Ugh.

Thanks Spock!

And I owe you a pic of my iPod mount! Worked out really well, I'll send you a few in a day or so.

Skeeter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.