Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 ton jack and a pair of 2 ton axle stands, but i'm not sure they will be enough to lift and support the truck. I know come spring i'll need to do the front brakes and i may start tool shopping while the prices are cheap.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They will work (2 tons x 4 = 8 tons total weight), but when it comes to jack stands, overkill is always nice. Usually, the 6 ton stands are larger and not as flimsy. Make sure you have some sort of adapter on top, as the "regular" top part of most jack stands doesn't usually fit with the correct jacking point of these unibody vehicles.

As far as a floor jack, you'll probably want a 3 ton jack at least. The diesel engine is a bit heavier than the gas motors. Mind the minimum height, too, especially if you have air suspension.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes. And the jack will be fine too. At most you are only lifting two thirds of the car's 2.5 tonne [lighter than tons!] weight on the front end, and about a third if you jack one corner at a time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Next are ramps and a good sized compressor :)

Cheers!

·
Banned
260 Posts
With the stands and jack you'll never use the ramps. I've got a set that was used once and sits in the garage.
My 2.5 ton 35 year old Craftsman floor jack lifts the front of the Touareg fine.
Don't buy cheap sheet metal stands. Get cast ones with2 tone or better rating.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set right now i used to use on the Jetta, which is a bit lighter and lower than the Treg. I was just worried about the stand supporting weight while i work on the brakes.

Cheers!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And i was taught once to place the space under too, just in case.

Did i mention the drive is slopped too :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Spare [as in wheel] and not space I suspect! I was taught the same.

Use the folding wheel chocks from your tool kit behind the rear wheels if you are on a slope and not a slop as typed!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts