Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Niko they aren't staying on there. I'm looking for 275/55/20 as I type. I'll run some summer tires and then in October I'll buy the Coopers.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Niko they aren't staying on there. I'm looking for 275/55/20 as I type. I'll run some summer tires and then in October I'll buy the Coopers.
275/55/20 are even larger (taller) tires than 285/50. And will be very tight fit, also Do not forget the rim size 11,5 is way too wide for 275

·
Registered
67 Posts
Niko, I'm stressed here lol. Apparently the tire size I stated above is wrong. The rears are 275/40/20 and fronts are 245/45/20. That makes them both 28.7" tall. My problem is that after 60 mph I get a shake/bounce. I took the Treg up to 90mph and the shake/bounce just increased. I'm ruling out tire height as being the culprit. Why is this so mind boggling? Starting to wish I'd bought a rwd vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Niko, I'm stressed here lol. Apparently the tire size I stated above is wrong. The rears are 275/40/20 and fronts are 245/45/20. That makes them both 28.7" tall. My problem is that after 60 mph I get a shake/bounce. I took the Treg up to 90mph and the shake/bounce just increased. I'm ruling out tire height as being the culprit. Why is this so mind boggling? Starting to wish I'd bought a rwd vehicle.
I have been running my 295/30 r22 and 335/25 r22 for a while. Didn't feel any steering shaking problem speed up to 160kmh. I think maybe your tire pressure is unbalanced?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been running my 295/30 r22 and 335/25 r22 for a while. Didn't feel any steering shaking problem speed up to 160kmh. I think maybe your tire pressure is unbalanced?
I'm hoping. It's really aggravating having the ship change tires out and potentially damaging the finish on the wheels each time.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
:) no need for getting stressed mate :) its all gonna be good, main thing is dont make mistakes again, can you tell me, what offset and width have your front wheels? It need a little bit of calculating and all gonna be good, And one more are you sure whatever setup you have now is properly balanced?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Niko, I'm not 100% on the balancing. The shop should've taken care of that however I cannot say 100% that it was completed. After work I am going to contact the shop and ask them if it was performed and if they noticed anything they may have forgotten to mention to me. As far as width and offset I'm not sure. They're a 3pc wheel so the offset is questionable. Width I believe is 9.5".

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have been running 20x10.5" rims with 295/40/20 Continental Extreme DWS tires for years with no issues. I can say the Touareg is very sensitive to wheel balancing and hub mounting. If the rims are not hub centric fitment you will need to use centering rings to ensure a correct fit. You will get vibration at speed if the wheel is not hub centric installed. I had a tire shop once forget to reinstall one of my hub centric rings on a wheel and even balanced with new tires mounted I still had vibration on the freeway. I had to reinstall the hub centric ring to correct it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just ordered Falken Wild Peak AT 285/60r18. I had trouble to find rims I liked, so I will go for standard 18x8 rims with spacer until I find some I like

I will post pictures :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are going to fit stock tire size witch is 275/40/20" for 20" rimes and 10" wide you will not have any kind of problem accommodating them, stock wheels have offset 60mm, but as you are getting 10" front and rear in this case you can look at wheels with 5X130 post pattern and 50-60mm of offset, and maximum tire size you will be able to fit is 275/45/20" and you will get a little more comfortable ride than stock 275/40/20". Also if you will have less then 50mm offset (40-45) the hole wheel will gonna be sticking out from the wheel arch and it will gonna mess all the paint with dirt all the time, and you gonna need splash guards and fender flares:) Hope this helps :) regards, Nikoloz

Thank you for the information. It does help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been running 20x10.5" rims with 295/40/20 Continental Extreme DWS tires for years with no issues. I can say the Touareg is very sensitive to wheel balancing and hub mounting. If the rims are not hub centric fitment you will need to use centering rings to ensure a correct fit. You will get vibration at speed if the wheel is not hub centric installed. I had a tire shop once forget to reinstall one of my hub centric rings on a wheel and even balanced with new tires mounted I still had vibration on the freeway. I had to reinstall the hub centric ring to correct it.
That could be the problem. I'll have to order some. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just ordered Falken Wild Peak AT 285/60r18. I had trouble to find rims I liked, so I will go for standard 18x8 rims with spacer until I find some I like

I will post pictures :)
Did you buy hub centric spacers? That's another very important thing, With 5mm spacer you will not need to replace the lug bolts, that's a very good news:) waiting for the pictures :) regards, Nikoloz:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I will mount them without spacers first, and then measure how much offset or spacer I need. I would like a massive look, so maybe I can have spacer of up to 10mm (but then with new bolts). If I can go for ET 35-45 on the new rims, it opens up for a lot more models.

Looking forward to get them next week ;)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I will mount them without spacers first, and then measure how much offset or spacer I need. I would like a massive look, so maybe I can have spacer of up to 10mm (but then with new bolts). If I can go for ET 35-45 on the new rims, it opens up for a lot more models.

Looking forward to get them next week ;)
at the moment my setup is ET 48mm and to be honest i think its too much without fender flairs, if there is tiny bit of rain and wheels are getting dirty first corner and all that dirt is on my car as these massive tires are squirting mud and dirt all over the place :) so i recommend you from my personal experience go for ET50mm not less, or fit fender flairs, and about spacers do not forget to have 5mm hub centric and if more than 5mm HUB AND WHEEL CENTRIC. as its impossible to 100% balance. see my thread and there is 10mm only hub centric and later i fitted 12mm hub and wheel centric spacers. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Aha! Very good information!
Great forum! Treg 4ever ;)

I will mount fender flairs (got them really cheap at ebay) still not sure if I will have them matte black or in the grey color of my car. In black it will give my Treg a "cross" look

I had trouble to find good looking rims with ET50, have to keep searching. So I guess it willbe 5mm spacers for a while then. But if i possibly can go for 10spacers, that means I can go for ET 45 (with fender flairs).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well... a week after purchasing wheels on eBay the seller tells me he doesn't have them. Back to the drawing board!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts