• Other, left comment.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“I am annoyed beyond measure,” said VW chief executive Matthias Mueller. “Why did Post did not talk to our commercial vehicles division about doing something similar?”
Why is VW so annoyed by this van? | IOL

Deutsche Post van signals new entrant threat to auto industry | Reuters

I wonder if the reason is...

1. VW did not get a 1000 vehicle contract. PS: Car companies hate small contracts.
2. Deutsche Post says building it without VW, turned out to be a cost savings.
3. VW has been embarrassed in the media.
4. It shows that perhaps the big car companies are in danger of being hoisted on their own petard. By outsourcing all manufacturing, are they making themselves redundant?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Likely mad at themselves. Waiting for the customer to ask you what they want means you are already obsolete by modern standards.

They have all the resources in the world to make an electric delivery van, its VWs loss not not make the market instead of waiting for the market to come to them.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. nickm, I agree, VW is mad at missing the PR coup they could have made this into.

I see some low level guy company rep considering the prospect of a custom run of under 1000 vehicles. Not really worth it. If it was an existing vehicle, that could be a fleet sale, then great. But doing a special run of this size... it is just not something that any manufacturer I know of would want to do.

I learned a lot reading up on this vehicle. I did not realize how much of a modern car was the third party suppliers. (Most of it). I did not realize that basically all the manufactures had standardized on one software program for car design worldwide.

Since the worst part of getting a vehicle on the road is emission certification, there is a huge opening for new car producers with EVs. Purchase a license for one software program then directly interact and bid with the people who will actually make and deliver the parts for your new line of vehicles.

So, this sheds some serious insider knowledge of how the Tesla's and the small Google cars are being made.

This EV van would had to be safety certified, but that was all. No emission headaches. It is zero emissions and already uses approved battery packs, motors, transmissions. I laughed when they specifically mentioned the rear axle was an copy of a rear axle that VW was already using.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Do these electric delivery vans meet all applicable safety standards like they would be required to meet if VW built them?

VW should hook up with USPS, FedEx, and UPS to replace their aging fleets of internal combustion panel trucks with VW electric vans at low cost, to help seed the market. Especially USPS who delivers to every address every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts