Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sceptical at first, but I decided to go ahead and do it diy style.
The results are surprisingly good.
At idle I was pulling 4.5g/s stock and with the upgrade I'm pulling 6.7g/s, this being from maf data.

Driving quality, sounds louder (of course), very nice to hear the engine and you can feel a significant increase in get up and go in the car.

Who knows about mileage, I'd assume it's going to be the same if not a little better.

When I did this to my last vehicle I had increased my mileage as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made the calculations as to how much surface area stock was and I got a bigger surface area cone filter.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks awesome! Do you have a link for the 90 degree silicone hose bend?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks good! Very similar to my home-brew intake setup. I just had to make two of them... :)

It's cool to see what a couple bucks of silicone and some quick fabrication can lead to. NICE JOB!!!

Bet it sounds a lil better too. Maybe grab a couple video clips? Some quick throttle blips so people can hear the throttle opening/closing...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it sounds pretty good.
I do have a dash cam video that I've been showing people but I don't know how to post it here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow this is crazy, I usually get 14.9mpg (15.8l/100km), but this time around with the new air intake setup and flooring it about 2-3 times, my last full up is 15.9mpg (14.8l/100km).

Funny how that works.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Looks like you have now converted an Off Road vehicle into a Soft Road vehicle. I wouldn't like to drive through anything deeper than a mud puddle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like you have now converted an Off Road vehicle into a Soft Road vehicle. I wouldn't like to drive through anything deeper than a mud puddle.
Actually I've made all the breather lines longer/higher up, plus the intake is also higher.
So I could actually travel safely through water depths of 32 inches and unsafely at 36 inches.

That's a pretty deep puddle.

Not to mention I currently have a low point clearance of 12 inches, which isn't high compared to other off road vehicles, but at least I have more freedom to go places versus other Touaregs.
And the 1/4 inch aluminum bash plates I have don't hurt either

COMMENTS DELETED

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Come on now, he's making the point that the factory air box seals the water out and allows the vehicle to be submerged practically. That guy contributes a lot to the forum. You should just ignore a comment you don't like a move on. He wasn't trying to be a jerk just simply stating that it's not as safe in deep water now, that's all.

Good job on the custom work. As long as you like it that's all that matters.

Reactions: JVAN

·
Registered
159 Posts
"I was sceptical at first, but I decided to go ahead and do it diy style.
The results are surprisingly good.
At idle I was pulling 4.5g/s stock and with the upgrade I'm pulling 6.7g/s, this being from maf data."

Your Mass Air Flow should not have changed unless your idle speed increased ~50% to match the increased airflow. This would also require a 50% increase in fuel flow to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio.
I would suspect something is causing erroneous MAF data.
A very minor change in intake restriction should not/could not change engine mass through-put at low rpm. At idle, nothing should have changed.
Your "data" is very suspicious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you're correct, I could have an increase in rpm at idle, in turn increasing my air to fuel ratio.
And it is suspicious, even to myself.
Who knows, maybe the data I gathered wasn't at the proper optimal operating positions.

I'm just happy I now have more pick up and go along with better fuel economy.

It would also be worth while to mention that I use Liquimoly Leichlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 for engine oil.
And I have done the CeraTec oil additive.
I would highly recommend using these products. Before Liquimoly, I was using stock casterol oil and I had always been at 90 degrees Celsius on my oil temp gauge. After the oil change and add of CeraTec, I was seeing temps of 81 degrees Celsius.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,190 Posts
Maybe I did overreact, but I will not stand for post bashing.
Contributions should be constructive.
maybe, just maybe, you should re-read your post, and consider that your comment directed at Hedditch was a form of post bashing as well.

Personal attacks and name calling are not the sort of conduct we tolerate here.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Thread cleaned up. JVAN keep it respectful and don't call out someone using those terms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts