Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a no start situation a few weeks back. Took the better part of a day to figure out that pulling the leads off the battery reset the system. New VCDS-Mobile shows an error pointing toward the Sensor for Steering Angle (G85) fault 01826.

Anyone with any experience. Is this a sign of things to come or a random intermittent kind of stuff.

I think the fault frequency is pretty self explanatory but what is the count at the bottom all about? A quick look through the Vag Com manual didn't give me anything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FSJ. Thanks for the comment but I"m actually not sure what you are referencing. You have to drive it to do what?

In my case it's been driven considerably since the no start issue. I have since reset the DTC related to the Sensor for Steering Angle and it has not returned.

Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm going to be dumb on this one. What do you mean by "reset"...what is it resetting. The DTC is there in the system and the only way it went away was to reset it with the VCDS.

Since you are a Mechanic...

So it sounds like the DTC was not the cause of the no start situation but just a symptom of the battery reset. With no other DTCs to point figures at the no start...any theories? Do you see this often?

Again the symptom was good power, good/newer battery in fob, everything lights up but no relays would click and nothing would start. Only disconnect of battery (what a PIA) was required. Any suggestions of what fuse could be pulled in the future to simplify a system reset or is that hard to say w/o knowing the offending module.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sorry. It's exactly as it sounds.

Just drive forward a few feet or so. 20 ft should be plenty. And the error will go away. Sounds crazy, but that's what your'e supposed to do. :- )

Apparently, the module needs to see some sort of vehicle speed in order to calibrate something that it requires. <shrug>

·
Administrator
4,379 Posts
Driving forward calibrates the sensor. If it was still malfunctioning after your 20ish feet, it should throw a steering fault workshop error and probably an ABS and ESP lights since both are dependent on the steering angle data from that sensor.

Ultimately, after any battery change or other low voltage event, you need to drive it then clear codes. They are probably just noise. Any remaining codes may need attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.