Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I've been reading through the forum for awhile finally made a new account cause I'm at a bit of a loss.

So long story short I bought a 2004 Touareg 4.2l v8. When I bought it the valve covers were off and right side cams, chain, chain tensioner were removed apparently it had skipped a tooth original owner got in over his head and gave up. Well after 3 weeks of hell
(two bolts on water pump snapped off and cam shaft on pass side for oil dispenser stripped all by previous owner), well finally got water pump, timing chains and tensioners, timing belt and tensioner along with other pulleys all replaced. Started up and leaked coolant from pass rear of engine found a bad hose on larger coolant pipe below head replaced and did the egr gaskets as well since I had to remove it anyway.

Now we are three weeks into this car and there is still a leak from same area and the car has thick white smoke from bother exhaust pipes the heater won't blow hot if that makes a difference I've been told that it could be head gasket I've been told injectors been told cracked head. Well it runs pretty good there's a slight tick doesn't over heat but plumes of smoke.

Any suggestions? Or do I drive it off a cliff and cut my losses

Also add that everything on this car works air suspension everything with no warning lights and 174k miles (even thought the owner lied and told me 130k)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Scrap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No hot air has to be a different problem than the white smoke. I'd bet on an actuator damaged while replacing a hose. It might even just be something loose. The white smoke sounds like a head gasket.
I normally would agree but my spark plugs are clean the coolant isn't miss colored and the oil isn't milky or miss colored

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hook up a pressure tester on the cooling system and find the leak.

Do a compression / leak down test on each cylinder to see if you have a head gasket leak or crack.

Or just buy a used motor

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Buy a large boat... use the Touareg for an Anchor!

But seriously, you're burning coolant..... if it runs good, run it for a longer period of time, and you should see the coolant level drop, and the engine start to overheat (monitor it and shut it down before you pop it) .....
If you're plugs, oil and remaining coolant all look good, it can't be a HG or a cracked head\block...... start looking at EGR and other potential points\paths where the coolant might get into the exhaust.......

The fact that you don't have heat tells me that the coolant isn't circulating properly, and not reaching your heater core........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a large boat... use the Touareg for an Anchor!

But seriously, you're burning coolant..... if it runs good, run it for a longer period of time, and you should see the coolant level drop, and the engine start to overheat (monitor it and shut it down before you pop it) .....
If you're plugs, oil and remaining coolant all look good, it can't be a HG or a cracked head\block...... start looking at EGR and other potential points\paths where the coolant might get into the exhaust.......

The fact that you don't have heat tells me that the coolant isn't circulating properly, and not reaching your heater core........
:serious:

I ran it for about 25 min and checked them so I guess it's onto going down the list anyone know of a good coolant system diagram for this motor?

·
Registered
238 Posts
With a blown head gasket, the plug(s) will be SUPER clean for the cylinder(s) where the coolant is entering. It's like water injection. Usually the white smoke only lasts a few seconds until it burns off. Constant white smoke points to a large gasket leak or cracked head. No heat may be enough coolant leaking to quickly cause air pocket.

Pressure test cooling system to verify.

If enough coolant gets into a cylinder, you can blow the engine at start up...water doesn't compress...called hydrolock.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
^^^ Agree but he claims that it runs fine..... a blown headgasket and an engine running on coolant would drop at least one cylinder and NOT run FINE..... unless my definition of fine is different than his......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your right and by clean I mean normal not super clean but definitely not abnormally dirty or anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So update I figured out my issue was not head gasket turns out the gasket for my center valley under the intake manifold was chopped to bits, along with o-rings on the coolant line.
My next question to everyone is the gasket for this runs $200 us which seems astronomical to me what do you think using the old gasket which is intact except the rubber surrounding with a gasket sealant?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What gasket was chopped to bits and what gasket are you trying to reuse? How many places have you priced it out at? I don't know what we are talking about, but would agree that it shouldn't cost that much......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Lokixwolf
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing