Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Mexico and looking at used T3 Touaregs, which V6 is more reliable, gas or diesel? Especially considering that the Touareg will sit some times for as long as 6 months. The car will mostly stay at low elevation, in and around Merida, Yucatan. I will buy one with under 50,000 miles and would like to keep it for 10 years plus as I will drive only a few thousand miles a year.

I like speed and diesels, I but have never had them together, I have a stage 2 MK7 Golf R and a Unimog so I'm leaning towards the diesel but is it more reliable than the 3.6?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No one can tell you anything at all about the reliability or otherwise of the actual car you might buy!

There are plenty of problems posted on here about the Tdi but very few on the 3.6. But that's possibly because I suspect there's more diesel drinkers about than gassers!!

Diesel quality is key: if you use ****e derv with poor lubricity the HPFP [high pressure fuel system] can eat itself and cost up to $16,000 [yes, you read that right] to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reminding me about the HPFP issues, I had a 2.0 TDI Jetta a few years ago and had forgotten that particular fear. The 3.6 v6 is less complicated than the TDI and the prices are better. The T3 Touareg also is available in Mexico with a 4.2 gas V8, which I assume is trouble? The Audi Q7 is available with a 4.2 TDI in Mexico, the prices are quite low for used ones...... I'll probably buy the 3.6 T3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The T3 V8 Touareg in Mexico comes with an air suspension, is this also a serious reliability problem? I will be using the car to drive around spoiled rich folks who collect my artwork. I will take then to Mayan ruins and remote beaches, both of which require I drive thru little towns with enormous speed bumps, which are often very hard to see as there are often no signs for them. Is the air suspension ride significantly better that steel springs?

·
Registered
74 Posts
We bought a 2011, used, V-6 this last winter and haven't used it a lot, about 6,500 miles on it so far. We really like the way it drives and it cruises 80 mph effortlessly. Just checked after our last fill-up and we are getting around 18 in town and get over 23 on the highway, especially around 70 mph. The car drives like it's on rails when cornering and has been a pleasure to drive. I would have bought a diesel if it had been available for the same price for the mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maintenance is paramount to having these vehicles live a long and happy life. VW has made some very strong engines, and it's usually the add-ons and electronics that cause issues before anything else. Turbos and their associated hardware adds more stuff to go wrong, but it doesn't mean it will be less reliable.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
We bought a 2011, used, V-6 this last winter and haven't used it a lot, about 6,500 miles on it so far. We really like the way it drives and it cruises 80 mph effortlessly. Just checked after our last fill-up and we are getting around 18 in town and get over 23 on the highway, especially around 70 mph. The car drives like it's on rails when cornering and has been a pleasure to drive. I would have bought a diesel if it had been available for the same price for the mileage.
I hope you are changing the engine oil and filter every 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope you are changing the engine oil and filter every 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
Why is that Nooby ? I mean doesn't the oil sit in the engine just like on a shelf ? What happens if I do 4000miles in one year ? The oil looses it's properties ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why is that Nooby ? I mean doesn't the oil sit in the engine just like on a shelf ? What happens if I do 4000miles in one year ? The oil looses it's properties ?
The oil gets contaminated and should not sit in your engine longer than 12 months, if you store any engine for longer than a month I always recommend changing the oil before storage and letting the engine run with fresh oil until fully warmed and then turn off and put into storage.

New oil has no contaminates in it from the byproducts of an internal combustion engine, it can sit on the shelf in an unopened container for a very long time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oil is oil, some turn in to carbon deposits. If you drain oil that has 30,000 miles, it still oil.

Used: The oil looses it's 'packets' additives, it become more acidic, then when setting, will separate suspended material. And diesels have more soot in oil.

...Oh diesel engines/head/valves are made better due to high compression. and -should- last longer.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Any used vehicle reliability depends on how it was maintained.

As for tdi vs vr6, the tdi has more parts to it that the vr6 does not have such as turbo, intercooler, adblue system, dpf, and a sensitive hpfp. I liked how the diesel drove but if I were exclusively looking less to break the vr6 is the way to go.

Longevity of passenger car diesels is a myth, these aren't Detroit diesels in commercial vehicles that are designed from the outset to tow and live a million miles. They are passenger car diesels that drive very well, do a great job of not behaving like diesels and attain exceptional fuel economy. I would expect the average lifespan of the vr6 and tdi to be nearly identical given the same set of driving conditions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, we changed the oil out at around 8,500 miles due to planning on going on a fairly long trip over Christmas to the east coast and back from Wyoming. The dealer we bought this from will change the oil three times in the first 12 months of ownership so I opted for an early change and will also have them change it when I get back from our trip so I will get at least two changes in the first year of ownership. In addition, they gave me approved oil and a filter for a change sometime in the future since the oil had been changed about 1,000 miles before we bought the car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Actually, we changed the oil out at around 8,500 miles due to planning on going on a fairly long trip over Christmas to the east coast and back from Wyoming. The dealer we bought this from will change the oil three times in the first 12 months of ownership so I opted for an early change and will also have them change it when I get back from our trip so I will get at least two changes in the first year of ownership. In addition, they gave me approved oil and a filter for a change sometime in the future since the oil had been changed about 1,000 miles before we bought the car.
I hope it is the VW dealer or your oil might not be right. :surprise:

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealer we bought this from is owned by the same people that own the VW dealer about 150 miles away. The service writer said he would have to get the oil from that dealer before he could change out our oil. I would bet I have the proper oil and filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts