Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two sets of wheels for my current 2010 Treg:

1: Original 19" VW wheels that came with the car with Khumo all seasons (275x55x19 IIRC) used 2 1/5 summers
2: 18" Cayenne replicas with Michelin winters (winter performance not snow) (225 or 235x??x18) used 2 1/5 winters

I am getting a set of original VW 18" wheels with all season tires (not sure which yet) with the 2013 Treg I'm picking up on Wednesday.

I have to return the 2010 with a set of wheels obviously, so which set would you keep? My wife insists on having a winter set even though in Toronto we typically only have a big snowfall once or twice a year and IMHO with four-wheel drive and all the driver aids it's pretty much unnecessary to have winter tires.

I'm thinking to put the 19" wheels back on to return the 2010 and keep the Cayenne winter set and just use the new 18"'s for the summer.

The key for me is that I'm getting the 18" wheels instead of the 20" wheels that came with the 2013 to make the ride more comfortable as it has the sport package which I found too harsh.

The question is if I keep the Cayenne winters which of the OEM wheels do I keep the 18" or the 19" I don't know how either one would feel the only thin I know is the 19" would look better.

Alternatively, does anyone run winter tires on the original rims? Normally people run narrower tires for winters but would winters on original rims work? Tthat way I would have two sets of nice VW wheels.

The only issue is that I have worked out a deal for the dealer to keep my car until I return it which means we are transferring the plate over i.e. it would be difficult to keep both my current set of wheels.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
550 Posts
I agree that these vehicles look better with 19" wheels, but IMO there are more tire options available that are usually cheaper in price with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's a no brainer - you keep the 18 inch wheels.

There is a far wider choice of rubber at lower prices for them and the ride is more comfortable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am leaning towards the 18"s as well. Does anyone have experience with how the 18/19/20s feel with the sport compared to a 2010 with the regular suspension? On the 2010 I find the 19"s are great in the summer yet the 18"s provide great comfort in winter. Using educated guessing I think the 19" on the 2010 would feel similar to the 18"s on the 2013.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sensible decision!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would keep all the good wheels you have and do like I had done.

Go on Craigslist, find some old Cayenne wheels either with or without tires, and if necessary, have the cheapest used tires put on and return the 2010 with those shythoused 2004/2005 Cayenne wheels with almost bald tires and use or sell the good wheels you have and make /keep some money.

I might have spent $150 on used wheels ($70) and another $70 on a set of used tires(it included mounting), and kept my 20" Pikes Peaks with like -new tires I had on, Pirelli Verde Plus A/S.

Don't give VW back good wheels and tires, they do not care a whit as to what will be on the truck when they get it back as it is just some paid, 3rd party person doing the check in of the vehicle. They don't even look in the truck so I had kept everything that was back there as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep all the good wheels you have and do like I had done.

Go on Craigslist, find some old Cayenne wheels either with or without tires, and if necessary, have the cheapest used tires put on and return the 2010 with those shythoused 2004/2005 Cayenne wheels with almost bald tires and use or sell the good wheels you have and make /keep some money.

I might have spent $150 on used wheels ($70) and another $70 on a set of used tires(it included mounting), and kept my 20" Pikes Peaks with like -new tires I had on, Pirelli Verde Plus A/S.

Don't give VW back good wheels and tires, they do not care a whit as to what will be on the truck when they get it back as it is just some paid, 3rd party person doing the check in of the vehicle. They don't even look in the truck so I had kept everything that was back there as well.
That is a good idea. I'm looking into the cheapest set of rims I can get with crappy tires and that will buy my time to experiment with the three sets. It looks like my winters are 255 which should be the same size as the ones I'm getting with the car. In that case I could buy junk tires to return the replicas and put the nice Michelins on the new rims to see how the 275x45x19s feel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've discussed it with the boss and she is good with 19" for spring/summer/fall all seasons and we'll keep the new 18" for winters.

Does anyone know what the normal diameter is for a T3? Funny enough I never bothered to check diameters for my current tires but when I checked on a tire calculator the 275/45/20 tires coming off have a diameter of 29.7". My current 275/45/19s are a full inch smaller at 28.7" and my winters 255/55/18 are in between at 29".

I started reading through this thread:

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/touareg-maximum-tyre-size-t3-89183.html

But in the meantime, does anyone know if there is a "correct" diameter (or range) for the T3/T2? What I am after is what the correct diameter is for the speedo to be correct and how much deviation is ok to keep it close to correct.

I noticed once with my phone GPS that the speedo was in my T2 was less than the speed reported by my GPS but don't remember which wheel it was.

Would it be ok to run the 19"s at a full inch less than what the car came with? It's only half an inch ground clearance reduction. Hopefully the other thread lists what the "stock" tire is for 19" wheels.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
29 inches overall diameter, give or take a fraction, for all OEM 17, 18, 19 , 20 and 21 inch wheels and tires for all models since launch in 2002.

No European car is allowed by law to under-read actual speed so they all over-read usually by around 5% though 10% is allowed.

Going oversize by an inch to 30 inches will probably negate the over-read percentage and give you an accurate speed compared with GPS as long as you are on level ground.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that makes sense. That means my winters are dead on and the summers were slightly under so it must have been the one that under-read. I was just worried that the 29.7" is the norm and my 19"s were a full inch under.

Now if I can only find a used set of tires I can through on my 18"s to transfer to the new ones.

Anyone in the GTA area recently taken off a worn set of 255/55/18s?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts