Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a quick question...how do I know which brakes are installed on my car?

The yellow brake pad warning light just came on yesterday so I'm beginning to look at options for pads. The rotors look fine. On my 2005 T1, I know I have 1LC front and 1KF rear..simple. However that dang car never needed brakes in the 6 years I've owned it. Now on my 2009 T2, the sticker in the back of the trunk is faded and I can't read which brakes the car has. Even the VIN printout I got from the dealer doesn't specify which brakes are on the car. And the dealer here will not give out part numbers if I'm not buying (the @$%!&*). So, is there any way to know, other than taking the old pads out and physically seeing what they are?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The original brake discs/rotors were supplied by Brembo and the pads by PAGID.

You need to measure the disc/rotor thickness to see if they will take another set of pads. The chances are they won't so you need discs/rotors as well as the pads and the pad wear indicators.

For the best braking all four corners should be done together.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you noobytoogy, I understand what you're saying. My question, however is which part do I get for my car? For example: TRW has 5 different "Front Axle" brake pads for the 2009 Touareg with V6 (see pic). If I wanted to get TRW pads (which seem to be as good as the Pagids), which set would I get? The 1LB, 1LC, 1LE, or 1LF ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
qurtuba,

basis BHK 3.6 V6 FSI 2005-2010 all Numbers should be OK for you ;-) The linear dimensions, thickness are different, though???????!!!!!!
Draw your attention:
GDB 1651 - with built-in wear indicator
GDB 1720 or 1670 - prepared for wear indicator
GDB 1547, 1548 - no wear indicator

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
qurtuba,

basis BHK 3.6 V6 FSI 2005-2010 all Numbers should be OK for you ;-) The linear dimensions, thickness are different, though???????!!!!!!
Draw your attention:
GDB 1651 - with built-in wear indicator
GDB 1720 or 1670 - prepared for wear indicator
GDB 1547, 1548 - no wear indicator
Thanks Njord but looking at the pictures I don't think all would fit as each pad looks different with different mounting points.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
You should have a paper label in your spare tyre compartment and also in your owners manual. That will display the production options that your vehicle was built with. On that list you should find one of the listed number (eg: 1LC ) as shown on the TRW printout.

Stuart...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
OK, qurtuba,

If you would be able to measure somehow the disc diameter and thickness, then :
1LB - 308 x 29.5mm
1LE - 330 x 32 mm
1LF - 350 x 34 mm
1LT - 368 x 36 mm

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have a paper label in your spare tyre compartment and also in your owners manual. That will display the production options that your vehicle was built with. On that list you should find one of the listed number (eg: 1LC ) as shown on the TRW printout.

Stuart...
I wish that the label in the rear compartment was still in good shape. Strangely, it looks very faded, like a piece of paper that's been soaked in water then left out in the sun. I can't make out anything that's written on it. I've been through the owner's manual several times but I never noticed that the PR codes were in there anywhere. Of course the evil previous owner had removed section 2 (Service Log) for some reason, and I didn't notice it until it was too late to go back to him. In any case, I'll check again. Thanks for the tip Stuart.

OK, qurtuba,

If you would be able to measure somehow the disc diameter and thickness, then :
1LB - 308 x 29.5mm
1LE - 330 x 32 mm
1LF - 350 x 34 mm
1LT - 368 x 36 mm
I was trying to avoid having to remove the wheels to identify which brakes I have, however it seems unavoidable now. Thanks for the valuable info Njord.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I think that you have the 1LE - 330 x 32 mm in the front and the 330 x 28 mm in the rear.

However, I would not order based on my guess. Pull the wheels and read the code on the calipers to be sure.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that you have the 1LE - 330 x 32 mm in the front and the 330 x 28 mm in the rear.

However, I would not order based on my guess. Pull the wheels and read the code on the calipers to be sure.
You're absolutely right. I need to get out and get some dirt and grease on my hands :grin2:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Don't the build/data sheets you got from the VW dealer give you the brakes' code?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't the build/data sheets you got from the VW dealer give you the brakes' code?
No mention of brakes. As if the car came without any :surprise:

qurtuba,

I checked BHK engine Treg 2008 year of production VIN code printout.

1LE front and 1KF rear brakes.:wave:

I think I will still pull a front and rear wheel and check if any markings on the calipers would give an indication to which brakes these are.

Last night I tried to take pictures of the calipers with the wheels on the car...that proved completely useless as I couldn't capture any part numbers or markings at all.
Oh well. This weekend I should have an answer. I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing a bit more digging, I found a post by spockcat from 2011 answering a somewhat similar question from wchane. According to spockcat, later Touaregs, by which I understand he meant 2007 or 2008 and onwards, used a 1LE \ 1KQ combination F\R, respectively. I'll still see if I can confirm this visually.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is amazing. I guess VW can produce quite a number of Touaregs and send them all over the worl in just three days. By the way, you were right, rears seem to be 1KF not 1KQ.

I found a couple of Youtube videos by a Russian man doing an excellent job of replacing front and rear brakes on a T2.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Hi qurtuba,

Just checked my Build Sheet ( MY08 V6 TDI CASA) and it also has the same brake combination as suggested by Njord,

1KF = Disc brakes, rear
1LE = Disc brakes, front

Looking at the videos, if yours look the same then you also have 1KF/1LE.

Hope that helps..

Stuart...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts