Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Washington state USA. We have an electronic tolling system called "Good to Go" which is conceptually similar to, but not compatible with, the E-ZPass system that is used in many eastern states.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/GoodToGo/default.htm

I am probably going to enroll my 2016 Touareg in this system because I find myself crossing a toll-bridge often enough to make it worthwhile.

These require use of a sticker on the inside of the windshield or a larger, rather ugly looking "license plate pass" that mounts to the top of the front license plate.

My question is which type of widget has been chosen by others, and if it is the windshield sticker, where do you place it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use EZ-Pass mounted near the rear view mirror. They come with a little strip of heavy duty velcro. If all you need is a sticker like a QR code (or similar) you could buy the 3M velcro and perhaps a small piece of plexiglass to mount your sticker to and velcro it in place.

In the east EZ-Pass has added a license plate reader, that sends you a bill if you don't pay. The nice thing is if your vehicle license plate is registered to your EZ-Pass account you really don't need the transponder (though it isn't official). I've left it in another vehicle a few times and it just uses my license plate.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We had a similar system here in Vancouver, BC for our 2 toll bridges (now no longer tolled! :) ) I stuck the decal on the inside left corner of my sunroof in 3 different vehicles and never had an issue. It's RF, not line-of-site.

Just read that they charge you $5 for a sticker?! wow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With regards to mounting a sticker near the rear view mirror, aren't there sensors or transmitters in that general area, such as garage door openers?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mounted the velcro behind rear view mirror, passenger side, so I never see it. I keep the EZ Pass in the glove box. I only use it once, maybe twice a year. I only need it for MA and NY, but now Gov Lamont is talking about tolls on CT highways. Unbelievable. They were removed for good reason. People die, and some avoid the toll altogether by using secondary roads. So it never pays out like the cash cow they think it will be.

Coincidentally, when mounting a trailer brake controller, there is no really good place to mount that either. It's in the way in some shape or form but MUST be within reach too utilize the manual brake control if needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All,

NTDI's comment about not actually needing a sticker or transponder in PA caused me to go back and read the Washington website more thoroughly.

They actually do have an option to just register your license plate and have their camera systems capture your number. Since they can do that for vehicles that are not registered in the system, it makes sense that they can do it for all vehicles.

There is a catch, however. They charge $0.15 more per trip if you just register the license plate. Given how infrequently I use the toll bridges or toll lanes, that is the option that I chose. Even with the minimum $5.00 sticker, it would be 33 trips before the sticker became more economical, which will be multiple years for me. I am also happy not to have to attach any stickers or transponders to my Treg.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fast pass here in the Bay Area. I put my transponder in that holder on the inside of the glove box door. Works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts