Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying a 2013 Touareg TDI Comfortline fully loaded. I need snow tires though and am wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to get a good deal on a tire and rim package. I think I would like to downsize (for the snows) to 18" from the 20" pikes peak for cost savings. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
217 Posts
sasquatch, I recently purchased an 18" wheel/tire/TPMS setup from Tire Rack. I received the Rial 5 spoke rims with a brand new High Performance Pirelli "winter" tire. It is all new and not yet reviewed, but searches I've done in Europe give rave reviews for this new V rated tire.

I received these within a day from when I ordered them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are usually many sets of used wheels available on Kijiji. Some 17's and a few 20's... but mostly 18's and 19's. They are often from Cayenne or Q7's. Good luck.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
If you're in Ottawa call Sipan tire, they put together a great package for me using Audi Q7 18" replicas + snows. Mony is the fellow you want to talk to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi sasquatch - I bought a 2012 TDI Execline in June and just went through the same process you're entering. After looking everywhere and reading way too much on the subject I pulled the trigger with Tire Rack. I downsized the wheels to 18" from 20" and mounted Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires along with the TPMS system Tire Rack suggested.

The wheels are the Rial Oslo and tire size was the suggested 255/55 18. I think after what I read the Blizzak's are better snow and ice tires but the Pirelli's a better wet/dry road and snow tire that lasts longer. I live in the Vancouver, BC area so wet roads are way more common here and the Pirelli's will be more than adequate for my ski trips to the mountains.

Tire Rack was the only source to recommend mounting complete TPMS systems as most just offered rebuild kits which is akin to saying remove the TPMS system from the OEM wheels and mount in the snow. I had no intentions of messing with a working, sealed TPMS/valve stem!

I really struggled with the wheel size - stay at 20" or reduce down. I ended up going with the 18" to offer a little more sidewall for comfort and pothole handling. I ran 17" snows on my last vehicle that 20" wheels too and the combination worked well in the snow. Some say the smaller tire cleans itself better since it has a faster rotational speed but that's too much science for me.

And you asked about the price. For the wheels, tires, TPMS system, mounting and shipping (to my USA address) cost was a shade over $2K which is way below what anyone in Canada could offer. I'll spend a weekend in the States and bring the wheels home duty free. I try to buy Canadian but when you can save over a thousand dollars, the wallet rules.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
"Some say the smaller tire cleans itself better since it has a faster rotational speed but that's too much science for me."

Regardless of whether you use 17, 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels on the Touareg, the overall diameter of the tyre remains the same at a nominal 29 inches so won't the rotational speed be the same too?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yur welcome whats your fav run at whistler? Is there a run I used to aski called Sudan Coulior? Or like 50 chutes off 7th heaven? Poccollo? 20 years ago

·
Registered
16 Posts
We, my 14 yr old son and I, mostly ski the Blackcomb side for the longer, straighter runs as compared to Whistler. We enjoy the Ridge Runner and Ross' Gold (Gandy Dancer) runs and the surrounding off shoots to them. I've taken him there now three years in a row a number of times and we have a 5 day pass this year. Good father-son activity and I'm looking forward to enjoying the Treg on my journey's there.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Less than what the tire rack price was...I quoted the deal from Tire rack, he beat the price...no border hassles to deal with.

I run 18s only because there is too much carnage potential in winter (ie: hitting curbs, potholes).

As far as tires go I'd only run Nokian Hakkapellittas or Bridgestone Blizzaks, everything else is well behind these two leaders IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Lots of great advice. Thanks very much. Is it worth the extra cost to have the TPMS installed with the snows?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey sasquatch, this is my first vehicle with TPMS so I don't really know. What I think I've learned is that the Treg has the TPMS senders in the valve stems so to move them from summer to winter tires would mean to remove the valves. This would mean then on switching back to summer tires I'd have to inflate each tire after installing the valve stems and re-installing valve stems sounds like potential air leak to me. IMHO it's just easier to have separate sets. You don't need to get TPMS sensors but I understand that the dash will flash a warning then without them.

Nickm I tried that too, to get someone to come somewhat close (to match or beat would have been a dream) to the prices from the US but I was simply told sorry we can't and one guy said he'd buy there too.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Saudan Coulior... now THAT brings back some memories!!!
A buddy of mine runs avalanche dogs up there and says the SC is closed these days, too dangerous... ;-)

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Nickm I tried that too, to get someone to come somewhat close (to match or beat would have been a dream) to the prices from the US but I was simply told sorry we can't and one guy said he'd buy there too.
Sounds like greed more than inability to match...that's unfortunate. I'm saying greed because once I had an opportunity to buy Yokohama Parada's through a friend of a friend at dealer cost... cost for 4 20"ers was around $95 each, assuming a dealer bought these and charged what tire rack charges, they would still make a healthy profit on the one sale.

If they can't match then absolutely buy from Tire rack, they even quote shipping to Canada including border taxes etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow nickm, that surprises me. I went back to my dealer and asked about a package and they had done a special package for another customer using 18" wheels and I forget the tire for $3,300. The owner had offered me his used but in good shape Pirelli 20" Scorpions for $1500 CAD - tires only. I'm glad you found a good deal though. The border isn't much of an issue to me as the family has a cabin in the States and I'll take my son down for a weekend of watching Halloween movies in the dark and then bring the tires back

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2010 Treg TDI. Bought my snow wheel/tire pkg from Tire Rack in late fall 2009. OEM was 20" wheel - I downsized to Rial Oslo 18". I have been very disappointed with the performance of the Pirelli Scorpion Ice+Snow tires - wore out after 2.5 winters! I recently purchased a set of 4 Hakkapeliita R SUV tires from a dealer in Niagara Falls for less than $1,000 Cdn - I hope they last a heck of a lot longer than the Pirellis!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts