Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the hood looking for an insulating blanket and found neither it nor a battery. Now, I'm sure there a battery somewhere in this 2011 V-6 Touareg Sport but I had to look all over the owners' manual to find out where. To my very great surprise, the manual says it's under the driver's seat and hard to get to, who would have thought? Have any of you had a battery problem and, if so, did you try to take care of it or did you have to go to the dealer to get it taken care of? I know the life expectancy on a normal car battery is somewhere in the vicinity of 5-7 years under non-extreme circumstances, but what is your experience of the life expectancy on the battery in a Touareg? My "new to me" Touareg is now about five years old and I'm kind of wondering when I should be expecting problems with the battery?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There are many threads on here with details on how to replace the battery. It's a pretty easy job with the right triple-square bit. Takes about 30 minutes to change the battery.

You may notice there are battery posts under the hood near the back of the engine compartment on the US driver's side. These are for jump starting - a much safer set up where the battery is located well away from the potential sparks.

I replaced my battery in the fall as the starter was spinning slower as the temperature was dropping. I have no idea how old the battery was, but I went with the properly sized battery from an aftermarket source for around half what the dealer wanted.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I opened the hood looking for an insulating blanket and found neither it nor a battery.
We've all had a round of hide and seek with the batteries. 5 years will begin to push the end of the lifetime for the factory battery. Read up on battery issues in other forum posts because some of the electronics will start to behave strangely when the battery nears its demise, and these are often confused with more serious issues.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
There are a bunch of threads showing battery R&R. If you can spin a wrench, you can replace your battery. :- )

Despite JUST replacing my battery last month, I now keep the triple square bits in my car in case I every need to replace the battery away from home.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Very sensible as there is also the BIG reset fuse under there as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts