Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 v6 can do 100mph in park... Not really but sometimes it thinks it is. This is annoying as it locks all the doors and won't shift out of park. Rocking the car back and forward will bring it to its senses and the speedo returns to zero. I'm guessing it's a flakey sensor but where does the speedo get its reading from? Does it use the wheel speed sensors or a transmission sensor?

Thanks

Francis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW I replaced a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor and the issue with the speedo reading 100mph in park went away....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Given that the first 2 replacement abs sensors I bought were DOA, the problem persisted for many months until I figured out it was cheap a$$ chinese ABS sensors causing the problem; my car has hundreds if not thousands of phantom miles on the odo! The problem went away and never came back when I finally figured it out and replaced with a genuine ATE sensor...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Or, Put it on jacks and leave it in reverse for a few hours. (Ferris Bueller style)
Take a look at your speedometer the next time you are traveling in reverse. The reading is displayed in MPH and the odometer rolls FORWARD too.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Take a look at your speedometer the next time you are traveling in reverse. The reading is displayed in MPH and the odometer rolls FORWARD too.
Argh! Thwarted by technology!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I had a dodgy wheel speed sensor today.

I pulled the large esp fuse giving me brake and esp error lights.

Car drove fine apart from transmission shifts that were weird and transfer case binding around tight turns.

Odo and speedo still worked.

Replaced wheel speed sensor and car drove normal again.

I think the odo and speedo is taken from a sensor on the transfer case.

Reactions: Marbles
1 - 9 of 9 Posts