Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just wondering where my fuel pumps/filters are located in my 04 tdi and what are the options are priming the engine without vag-com or vcds. I heard you can bypass the pump jumping the power and ground with a trickle charger, that's looking like my best option since itll do the same thing with hooking up vag-com, but are their other options. Thank you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Which fuel pumps? Technically you have 15 fuel pumps! 2 transfer pumps in the fuel tank, 2 camshaft driven pumps that feed the 10 fuel injectors, each having a pump in it. Plus the pump for the Webasto heater!

If you have a V10 you should buy a VCDS. An older K line only one will do. I guess you could jump the fuel pump relay(s?), but it's so much easier to do with the VCDS I wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

You own a $73,000 truck. A $250 VCDS cable is a reasonable expense.

-J

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Which fuel pumps? Technically you have 15 fuel pumps! 2 transfer pumps in the fuel tank, 2 camshaft driven pumps that feed the 10 fuel injectors, each having a pump in it. Plus the pump for the Webasto heater!

If you have a V10 you should buy a VCDS. An older K line only one will do. I guess you could jump the fuel pump relay(s?), but it's so much easier to do with the VCDS I wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

You own a $73,000 truck. A $250 VCDS cable is a reasonable expense.

-J
Have you ever used your VCDS to activate the in tank fuel pumps on your V10?
I don't know if the Aussie models are any different but you cannot do it with VCDS on the V10.
I know these is a RossTech quide how to but will it not work on the V10 vehicles I have tried ??

regards
Drag

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, I have. I forget if I did it with basic settings our an output test.

Sounds like I should have made a video when I changed the filters!

-J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well finding where the fuel filters go wasnt to hard, i hope changing them is the same way!haha..another question, the reason why i want to change my filters is because when i get to higher gears my car starts to shudder and loses power, i immediately thought dirty fuel filter or bad diesel because i got diesel from a different place than i usually go to. Does this sound accurate to you guys? I also dont think it has been changed in a while..

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Loss of power when accelerating and/or shuddering is certainly a symptom of either dirty filter or bad fuel - and the usual result of 'bad fuel' is a very dirty filter with limited fuel flow. If you can find a way to activate the fuel tank pumps it would be very helpful to pump some into a clear glass jar. If the fuel in the jar is dirty you will have to empty the fuel tank and replace the fuel first. Otherwise your brand new filters will just get very dirty and plugged up again.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There is only one VCDS, the rest are code readers and a waste of time and money if you wanted the real thing!

Ross-Tech: Home

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really understand. If there's only one then what is that one that i should buy? And how are the other a waste of time?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Like I said before, your 04 doesn't use CAN for diagnostics. So any of the K line interfaces (HEX-COM, HEX-USB, Key-USB, Key-COM) will work. A MicroCAN will not work. A Hex-CAN USB will work too (and work on any vw), but costs more.

-J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts