Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Best guess is that they will need to complete the buyback and fix processes before we see a TDI, and that's likely still to take another couple of years.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never is my take.

As of now it will be gassers only for the US with hybrids to follow in 2020 or thereabouts...

·
Registered
400 Posts
^ I agree. Unless the EPA goes through a major policy shift under Trump (not impossible), VW will continue to dissociate themselves from all things TDI. The push will be with hybrids and electrics.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Never is my take.

As of now it will be gassers only for the US with hybrids to follow in 2020 or thereabouts...
I agree - there's a lot of vindictive hate towards VW on other brand websites in the US - the 4-cylinder diesels have no chance in that market and as the V6 isn't itself "clean", albeit to a lesser extent, it's still tainted even among some owners on ClubTouareg.

I know it wouldn't be a popular decision here but VW may decide not to sell Touareg in the US at all, letting Atlas take it's place.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Now that's an interesting thought - "Ta-ta Tommi Treg" . . .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well with gas engines getting near same power and milesage, I think VW gave up on TDI/DIESELS in US.
yah i dunno about that....no other suv gets high 30mpg like my touareg and no other gas suvs can tow like a tdi touareg either....its not all about power its torque....im pushing 320hp and still getting close to 40 mpg on the highway and it is an animal when you want.

They didnt give up on diesels, the emission cheating and increasingly stringent testing for diesels pushed them out.

as for when we see another? we wont...the touareg is done and the new atlas is a fwd engine mounted 4motion meaning no v6 tdi and no good 4motion...Glad i bought a touareg before they are gone...next year i may trade up to a 16

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seriously?

I have averaged around 26 miles per US Gallon in 50000 miles of TDI - whatever mix...city, highway, short trip, long trip, winter, spring, summer, fall, wet, dry, snowy....18" hakka, 20" pirelli...lots of idleing, stop and go....

high 30 mpg? Close to 40mpg highway? I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, besides not rounding up.

Only chance for a touareg TDI is if Audi q7 gets one. If not, sayonara in NA.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Seriously?

I have averaged around 26 miles per US Gallon in 50000 miles of TDI - whatever mix...city, highway, short trip, long trip, winter, spring, summer, fall, wet, dry, snowy....18" hakka, 20" pirelli...lots of idleing, stop and go....

high 30 mpg? Close to 40mpg highway? I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, besides not rounding up.

Only chance for a touareg TDI is if Audi q7 gets one. If not, sayonara in NA.
Part of the fuel economy difference is the 10% reduction from Euro 5 to Euro 6 specification (translated into your market maybe from T3>T4).

The mix makes a huge difference, as does the depth of winter - my 16MY pure urban is down to 20 mpg (Imp) but will do very high 30's in leisurely open road driving.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
26mpg average for me, too. Almost 96k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
i dont need to round up..its real life, infact even short trips im hard pressed to get anything less then 28...oh and i have about 100 more hp then you...i really havent even got to do a real long highway trip but i bet close to 40 is possible. The joys of knowing what a diesel likes i suppose and not being scared to remove useless crap from the undercarriage.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Well, maybe since you're in Canada, that explains it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, maybe since you're in Canada, that explains it?

what would that have anything to do with it? ...the engine doesnt say oh hey im in canada maybe ill get better mpg

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
^ I agree. Unless the EPA goes through a major policy shift under Trump (not impossible), VW will continue to dissociate themselves from all things TDI. The push will be with hybrids and electrics.
^^Give the man a prize. He has nailed the target.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
what would that have anything to do with it? ...the engine doesnt say oh hey im in canada maybe ill get better mpg

Dunno. Kilometers vs. miles? In any event, you're the only person here who gets 25% better mileage than the rest of us. Congrats to you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dunno. Kilometers vs. miles? In any event, you're the only person here who gets 25% better mileage than the rest of us. Congrats to you.
yah im well aware of kms over miles...but as you clearly see the mfd is set to mpg...US mpg to be correct which is changed via vcds as i did so myself.

Thanks...im also the only one this modded as well....Its amazing what you can do when you think outside the sheep mentality

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
yah im well aware of kms over miles...but as you clearly see the mfd is set to mpg...US mpg to be correct which is changed via vcds as i did so myself.

Thanks...im also the only one this modded as well....Its amazing what you can do when you think outside the sheep mentality

You, sir, are truly amazing. You got some moxie.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well with gas engines getting near same power and milesage, I think VW gave up on TDI/DIESELS in US.
A big part of the reason for diesel's popularity abroad is because of (much) higher fuel taxes on gasoline. Diesel taxes are left low to keep prices for goods and merchandise low, since most trucks use diesel. The U.S. has much lower fuel taxes, so price is mostly not a factor here.

Also, diesel is about 10% denser than gasoline at standard temperature and pressure. That is, a gallon of diesel has 10% more "stuff" than a gallon of gasoline. So if instead of measuring mileage based on volume, we measured based on the mass of fuel consumed (which doesn't change with temperature, pressure, chemical composition, etc), you'd have to knock down diesel's mileage by about 10%. Gas engines are getting close.

That said, hp and torque ratings are attempts to summarize a complex power curve with measurements from just two points (HP = torque * RPM * constant, so they're really hp and torque are really describing the same curve). The power curve for diesel tends to be clumped near the low RPM range, which gives it some very desirable power characteristics lacking in gas engines with the same power ratings. Similar to how the addition of a "small" 40 HP electric motor can dramatically improve performance in a hybrid (electric motors can generate full power at low RPMs). This is a large part of why we haven't seen a diesel-hybrid yet - the electric motor compensates for a weakness in a gas engine, but not in a diesel engine. Diesel's power curve drops off at high RPMs, so its best complement is a turbo.

Seriously?

My long-term average thus far (only 6000 miles) has been 27.9 MPG. I average about 33-34 MPG if I keep it at 65 MPH on the highway. The UK uses imperial gallons, which are 20% larger than U.S. gallons. So 34 MPG (US) = 40.8 MPG (UK). I think that's where some of these sky-high mileage figures come from.

However, I'm not sure I believe the mileage the trip computer reports. I also keep track of how many gallons I put into the car on fillup, and divide the number of miles I traveled since the last fillup. That's how I tracked MPG on my cars before fancy trip computers with electronic fuel injection. That calculation consistently comes up about 2 MPG lower than the trip computer. e.g. Best mileage I got on an entire tank was 31.1 MPG according to the computer (cross-country freeway trip @ 70 MPH). But dividing the miles traveled by the gallons I put in at fillup gave me 29 MPG.

I'd been meaning to make a separate post asking if other people were seeing the same thing. I don't think I have a fuel leak - my garage floor has been clean. And this 2 MPG deficit has been pretty consistent across the last 10 or so fill-ups, so it's unlikely to be due to variances in the pump cut-off pressures at different gas stations. I did compare recorded vs actual miles traveled on that long trip, and my miles recorded were about 2% lower than actual (according to Google Maps). I attribute that to the tires being new and thus being slightly larger in radius. But it's not enough to account for 7% difference in the two MPG measurements.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The herd in Europe has turned against diesels and that's been the hotbed of passenger car diesel tech. The Q7 isn't showing up with a diesel, Audi recently returned my deposit on one.

Gassers are getting better economy and with 10spd transmissions here, my guess is 2or 3 years down the road electric powered or electric assist will be mainstream and getting diesel torque figures without all the dpf/adblue stuff (that seems to not really be working anyways.) will be the norm.

I think diesel will survive in HD pickup trucks (which is a good thing, they are awesome if you haven't driven one its worth a try)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts