Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran over a screw nail and my rear left tire went flat. It's pretty close to the side and the dealer recommend not plugging it. Then he said because it's AWD he would recommend replacing all 4 tires.

I currently have Michelin Latitude Tour HP 265/50. The front tires have 6/32 left where the rear ones have 5/32 left. Can I only replace the rear 2?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
If you have tons of money, replace them. I personally would have the tire dismounted, a patch put on the inside of the tire, and then run that tire on my own vehicle.

If you replace tires, replace all four on the Touareg. You can't do just one, two, or even three. All or nothing on the AWD vehicles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The tires need to be within 2 or 3/32nds of each other...otherwise you may cause damage to the rest of the drivetrain. So you'd need to find a used tire the same make/model as the ones you currently have on the car with about the same treadwear, and what are the chances of finding that? Like already mentioned, replace all 4.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The puncture is not in the middle of the tire but very close to the edge. The tire technician said patching will not work as that spot will have too much deformation as the tire rotates. Even string plugging is not recommended for safety. So I guess I will just have to shell out 1.7k to replace all 4 of them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If my online metric to imperial convertor is accurate:

Your tread depths need to be within 2mm [a fraction over 2/32ths] on the same axle and 3mm [4/32ths] between front and rear axles.

You new Michelin Tour tires will have 8mm or 10/32ths tread depth so, with a new pair of identical tires to your existing [same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern], then if your 6/32ths on the front tires is correct, you you are on the limit, but okay for a new pair on the rear which is exactly where a new pair of tires should always be installed anyway to avoid sudden, uncontrollable oversteer in an emergency.

Keep the one good, but used, 5/32ths tire in the back of the garage, just in case.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
One further thought. I bin tires at 50% tread depth - always have, always will.

Their wet weather, braking and other performance falls off a cliff after this.

With 5 and 6 32ths, your existing set of tires is almost there.

I don't know what weather conditions you are facing over the next few weeks, but perhaps a new set of tires should be on the cards anyway...

[Oh! Keep the 2 6/32ths in that case!]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good call. I will ask to keep the two 6/32 ones just in case **** happens again.

Thanks noobytoogy!

If my online metric to imperial convertor is accurate:

Your tread depths need to be within 2mm [a fraction over 2/32ths] on the same axle and 3mm [4/32ths] between front and rear axles.

You new Michelin Tour tires will have 8mm or 10/32ths tread depth so, with a new pair of identical tires to your existing [same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern], then if your 6/32ths on the front tires is correct, you you are on the limit, but okay for a new pair on the rear which is exactly where a new pair of tires should always be installed anyway to avoid sudden, uncontrollable oversteer in an emergency.

Keep the one good, but used, 5/32ths tire in the back of the garage, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.