Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, wondering if anyone can help me.

My beautifull 2006 tdi 3.0 diesel drives very smoothly indeed but at a moments notice, the steering wheel starts to vibrate and under braking is all over the place in terms of vibration. If I stand the car up and turn the engine off, then drive away it disappears. All wheels are balanced and is just mystery as to when it decides to do it again.

Any thoughts please

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
short answer: search this forum, this has been discussed at length.

Try re-torquing the lug nuts on the wheels. If you want to know why, use the search feature
You are thinking of the Steering Wheel Shakes that happened with the T3.

This guy has an earlier 2006 car so not the same thing at all.

If you weren't thinking of the T3 SWS, then post the thread you were thinking of.

·
Registered
969 Posts
wobbliness while braking indicates warped rotors to me.
How old is the braking setup?
Start with the basics: Are wheels balanced and properly weighted?
Is alignment and suspension true?

I had an episode with my T1 a few years back where it suddenly became undriveable. Suspected the worst. Towed to dealership, cost to repair $0.00. Somehow it threw wheel weights on one tire.

·
Registered
444 Posts
wobbliness while braking indicates warped rotors to me.
How old is the braking setup?
Start with the basics: Are wheels balanced and properly weighted?
Is alignment and suspension true?

I had an episode with my T1 a few years back where it suddenly became undriveable. Suspected the worst. Towed to dealership, cost to repair $0.00. Somehow it threw wheel weights on one tire.
the rotors could be warped due to incorrect or uneven torque on the lug nuts. or as you say, it could be a wheel balance issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Initially warped rotors come to mind - however - I had the same thing while braking on my 2012 tdi but once it went in for a wheel alignment the shaking while braking disappeared 100%. Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
734 Posts
the rotors could be warped due to incorrect or uneven torque on the lug nuts. or as you say, it could be a wheel balance issue.
Haven't heard about this issue on the Touareg, but the C4 urS6 suffered from severe pad deposition problems -- drive the car for a while, then do a couple of long stops and the front end would shimmy like crazy.

Best way to solve that problem was with a big brake kit. :)

Not saying that this is the issue, but see if the problem only occurs when the brakes are hot. Could be warping rotors or even brake pad deposition...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Initially warped rotors come to mind - however - I had the same thing while braking on my 2012 tdi but once it went in for a wheel alignment the shaking while braking disappeared 100%. Just my $0.02!
Warped rotors/discs are rare and the brake judder would be fairly consistent.

Poorly mounted discs would give a consistent judder too.

I am not completely clear about when this occurs, so, being a bit pedantic to get complete clarity for those trying to help you, can you answer these questions?

1. Does the steering wheel wobble BEFORE you apply the brakes?

2. Does the wobble gets worse when you do apply the brakes?

3. Does it continue to wobbles until the car stops?

4. Does the wobble frequency change as you slow down?

5. If you switch the engine off, restart and drive off, there is no wobble?

6. Does the wobble occur every time you apply the brakes?

7. Or is the car wobble free for a period of time before suddenly and unexpectedly returning?

8. If you don't switch the engine off after stopping from a wobble episode [sorry, I know this is sounding like the bloody Wombles of Wimbledon!], does the wobbling continue when you drive off or not?

Silly question but you have double checked the front wheel lugs/studs are tight, haven't you?

And that the power steering reservoir is to the correct level too? Only use VW PS fluid from the dealer if you need a top-up by the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, took it to a brake shop and had the wheels off the front, brake pad on drivers side had crumbled in one corner, calipers on one side are sticking on and seals gone allowing dirt and muck in to them. Good second hand calipers being fitted in a weeks time and new disks and pads just to complets the job. Hopefully should do the trick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts