Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just wanted to update on my experience on this common problem that has plagued the Touareg it seems.
About 7months ago Justin before the pandemic lockdowns kicked in My 66 plate Touareg 3.0L V6 R-Line Contracted the dreaded wheel wobble problem.
after many visits to various dealerships and third parties no expert were any the wiser as a lot of you have found. Even VW seem to be clueless!
Well it turns out I may have just stumbled upon the issue. Many techs pointed to my tyres, which found strange at the time as they had about a 1/3 legal thread life in them. I took them off myself and inspected. No visual defects. Moving on a couple of months and the time came for a service and tyre change. Again I asked them to investigate and they could find no fault. After service I went straight to my trusted tyre dealer (I wasn’t gonna pay premium price for the same tire at the dealer).
Low and behold, when the rubber was removed from my drivers side rim, there was enough water inside to half fill A small bucket!
Don’t ask me how or when this got in, but I’m assuming a faulty forecourt compressor. If not may have had the buggy sitting in deep puddle for lengthy time in winter months!
Anyway long story short, if you suffer from this issue, don’t only get your tire dealer to check the balancing, have him remove the rubber! May cost you an extra tenner but we’ll worth it!!
If your issue started after/during wet winter months, defiantly check this!
I’d be interested to know if this helped anyone else and how common this is.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8 - Air Suspension, Diff Lockers
14 Posts
Low and behold, when the rubber was removed from my drivers side rim, there was enough water inside to half fill A small bucket!
That is really strange. Did the tire have a slow leak? The only way I can think of water getting in is with air when pumping up tires using a very poorly maintained compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what we are assuming. It’s the only logical explanation. Let’s face it who knows maintenance schedules of petrol forecourts. Prob not as robust as we think.

just wanted to tell my story as it may not be as uncommon as we think.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Years ago at a NASCAR race in Nashville I watched as one competitor seemed to often have problems with a low left front tire after going over the scales. They just happened to have a jack and another tire right there to change it. Since I had seen TWO crewmen pick up and mount that tire earlier I had my trusty air gauge and bottle right there it help them out asking how much pressure they wanted in it, right before qualifying (at the time Nashville was across the scales to qualify). I "helped" them out by airing up the low tire.
Out he goes and on the first lap into turn 1 wall. He came back in with hands bloody from trying to steer that water in the tire.
I forget the name of the driver, but I wonder if he tried that trick again.
I remember now L.D. Ottinger.
By the way He had a spare car so he really did not mind wrecking a competitor in the heat races. He used his spare to finish second to us in the race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts