Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every since being involved in cars the one thing that has always confused the crap out of me is wheel offset and tire sizing...maybe I should read one of those dummy books or something. Anyway asking for help to try and grab a new set of tires and maybe wheels.

Current situation: 2004 V10 w/ OEM 19" wheels and all-season Firestone tires which are pretty shot at this point

Desired situation: a more aggressive semi-AT style tire

Issue: I've had a hard time finding this style tire in a 19" that will fit, iirc my max diameter is 31.5

Option: XD makes a wheel I would consider for the Touareg in 18x8, but the offset is either +48 or +32 and I'm afraid it will push the wheel to far out of my wheel well....although I haven't been able to find a reference. Also with a 18x8 I would like the same contact area as I'm currently running on the 19x9 if at all possible.

Questions for the Club:
- Any 19" semi-AT options available to fit the Touareg?
- If I move to the 18's does anyone have a reference on whether I should go with +48 or +32 offset?
- What tires size should I consider for the 18's?
- Any preferred brand/model for semi-AT tires?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
All Touaregs wheels fit all Touareg models with these exceptions:

17s don't fit V10s but 18s and above do.

R5 wheels only fit R5s.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would definitely recommend 18" wheels. That will give you a little more sidewall so you can air down when off roading.

Keep the backspacing (offset) the same as OE. I have OEM 17" wheels (stock offset, obviously) with larger tires and there is no problem with rubbing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the offset of the factory 19x9's?
Sorry guys, didn't realize there were other replies.

Yes I knew I couldn't go 17 and wanted 18's to get more sidewall....more likely will be on beaches than other terrains.

As for offset the stock 19x9s are +60mm so if I went with a 18x8 in a +48 I would actually come in 1mm on the fender side and move 24mm towards the hub on the inside (if this description makes sense.) Basically with the offset and width difference the real impact is gaining more room on the inside of the wheel.....not a bad thing.

I'm thinking at this point that I am likely going to stick with my current rims (19x9) and get as beefy a set of ties as I can seeing I might need to move to a pickip in the next year or so with some changes coming.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
The most cost effective solution might be a set of OEM 18" Wheels. You will also find that you have a lot more selection of tires in the 18" range.

Yes, it might actually be less expensive to buy the 18" wheels and tires vs the 19" tires only. Lots of chances to get used OEM 18" wheels, so do not automatically discount the possibility.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The most cost effective solution might be a set of OEM 18" Wheels. You will also find that you have a lot more selection of tires in the 18" range.

Yes, it might actually be less expensive to buy the 18" wheels and tires vs the 19" tires only. Lots of chances to get used OEM 18" wheels, so do not automatically discount the possibility.
Agreed but honestly many of the stock 18's don't really do anything for me.

I ended up pulling the trigger on these in 255/55/19: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R9TCATXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Should have them mounted next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Continental 19

I am curious how the 19 Continental tires are? I am in the same situation on my '11 Treg and debating to go 18 or get something like these Conti's. I am looking at the XD Grenade wheel.

Any advice after your experience?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am curious how the 19 Continental tires are? I am in the same situation on my '11 Treg and debating to go 18 or get something like these Conti's. I am looking at the XD Grenade wheel.

Any advice after your experience?
Honestly I love them so far. They are more aggressive than an all weather for sure but are still quiet and comfortable on the highway. The nice thing is the tread pattern sheds water really well unlike some other A/T style tires. Even my mechanic was so impressed with them he said they are next for his Frontier. It is hard to comment on wear but they seem fine at this point, no unusual wear and they don't seem to be wearing any faster than any other tire I've ever had. They were also great in the snow this year (which is an issue for me with my driveway.)

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.