Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my my12 Touareg out for a spin tonight. I don't drive it much as its my wife's car and noticed an on an off squeaking similar to brake squeal just on and off also similar to a squeaky bicycle wheel. The sound could be heard while driving and not while braking? The brakes were cold and the car was not yet up to temp. I didn't drive it long enough to tell if it went away fully heated up.

I replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors about 10k miles ago, currently at 50k with pagid hella products and the braking was great and still is. I checked the brakes as well as I could in the dark and cold and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except for a lip forming on the front rotors and some light grooving in the rears.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
How far of a drive? Might need to get the brakes nice and hot. Sometimes they'll only squeak when cold. Or it could be a wheel bearing, but usually the new style unit bearings grind when bad.

I'm surprised that you have a ridge on the brake rotors already after only 10K miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a bit disappointed in the fronts beginning to form a lip as I am expecting 40k miles from them as I did with the vw rotors.

The drive was only 2 miles going to the gym so it was pretty short. My thought was that some gunk must have gotten in between the rotor and pad due to the snow storm.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If that happens, find a safe place to put the car in reverse, go backwards at speed and firmly apply the brakes.

The first reverse usually dislodges any stone or whatever. You may need to repeat the exercise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree. Was thinking it might be a rock as well. That happened to me with my 2004 Touareg a couple times.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Retorque all lug bolts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Couple odd ball things in addition to those comments above: While it has not happened on my Treg, I have gotten rocks between the rotor shield and rotor before that sound terrible...couple good thumps on the shield and these fell out. Your sounds much more subtle.
My 2007 Treg made a brake noise while driving. It came from the rear driver side. I applied anti rattle to the pads (easy enough to do if you follow the instructions and don't over apply) and it is now gone. The sound was at slow speeds (creeping slowly in traffic, but with foot off brake).
Lastly, someone told me to lubricate the pins contact points with the anti rattle clip with silicone (there is actually brake contact lube but I skipped this). I did this in addition to the anti rattle. The logic apparently is the clip floats slightly in the caliper and can make noise without some small amount of lube at the contact points. I thought it sounded a bit odd, but it doesn't make the noise anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't use anti squeal spray on the pads originally so thought that may be the problem, on my Porsche 911 I get a little squeal when stopping because I skipped this step. The Touareg was making the squeak or squeal while driving.

After monitoring it for a few weeks it appears to have gone away. Must have been road grime or salt from the big snow storm we got up here in the NE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts