Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

This is a great thread, I'm a new user for this discussion forum. Well recently i bought a Touareg 2006 from a private owner. When i was buying a car that time i have been told to replace the tire so today when i went to fire stone for tire replacement they said it can't be done due to the wheel lock on it. Then i tried to replace tire at Town fair tire but they couldn't able to take out the tire due to the wheel lock on it. I would be grateful if someone will tell me how is it possible to take out the wheel lock or where it can been done?
I've been spending money on rental car since last 2 weeks and i just wanted to get rid of this problem as soon as possible. Any kind of help/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hello guys,

This is a great thread, I'm a new user for this discussion forum. Well recently i bought a Touareg 2006 from a private owner. When i was buying a car that time i have been told to replace the tire so today when i went to fire stone for tire replacement they said it can't be done due to the wheel lock on it. Then i tried to replace tire at Town fair tire but they couldn't able to take out the tire due to the wheel lock on it. I would be grateful if someone will tell me how is it possible to take out the wheel lock or where it can been done?
I've been spending money on rental car since last 2 weeks and i just wanted to get rid of this problem as soon as possible. Any kind of help/suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Lift the cover in the back over the spare tire. There's a foam insert inside the rim that has certain special tools for the Touareg including the lug nut key.

One lug nut on each wheel has a special head and you put this key over it to make it into a regular nut.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is also in the owners manual. Open the glove box, then at the top of the box is another little latch that you push down and a secret compartment pops open containing the owner's manual.

I didn't find that until I spent $50 on an owner's manual on eBay. Then the owner's manual showed where to store the owner's manual and that's how I found the original owner's manual .

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hello guys,

If the wheel lock socket is not in toolkit under the floor in the trunk, then go to a VW dealer and ask them to supply you with a new lock socket or, alternatively, ask them to remove all four locking studs [one on each wheel] and replace them with standard wheel bolts.

You must also always run a Touareg with 4 IDENTICAL tires - that's same make, same size, same model, same tread pattern, and with no more than a couple of 32ths difference in the tread depth - to avoid transmission wind up which can, over time, damage the transmission.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i am embarrassed to say that in the 10 yrs i've had my t-1, i've never used/been asked for the "wheel lock socket." i cannot find it in the spare tire/jack storage compartment under the "way back" floor panel, in the glove compartment or center console…

any suggestions on where i might be able to find it would be welcome!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
At the place where they last changed your tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had a 20k service. I noticed that there wasn't a special socket in the indentation near the spare. Turns out that there were no locking lugs. Just as well. I'd rather not have them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do not have the lock key either. It seems we are all given the spot on the tool tray but not the key because that is an optional item. You can go to VW parts and buy a locking kit, socket, four locking lugs, and black caps for close to $100.

I complained about the "missing" part and that was what I was told. You get the socket on a need to use bases.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is also in the owners manual. Open the glove box, then at the top of the box is another little latch that you push down and a secret compartment pops open containing the owner's manual.

I didn't find that until I spent $50 on an owner's manual on eBay. Then the owner's manual showed where to store the owner's manual and that's how I found the original owner's manual .
Secret door contains the DVD player on t3.

·
Registered
171 Posts
leith vw in raleigh, nc put the last set of tires on it about 18 months ago. they have not been rotated since.

it's anyone's guess whether they even used my tool from the trunk/jack storage area since they are the "stealership."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the reply, Yes i did the same, I went to VW dealership they charged $90 labor and removed all the wheel locks to nut bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts