Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a second set of wheels for offroad and back road driving.
I currently have 21" wheels on the R50 and I don't know what size I can go down to while still clearing brakes.
It would be great to get down to 18 or 19 wheels to get more tyre side wall height.
Any info would be great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd like to see pictures of your R50 with 21's. TIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't know if this will be any help as I do not have an R50 but I run 17s in winter, 18s AT and 20s highway. I have a 2017 VR6 gasser. I've had no clearance issues. Wheels are OEM VW Treg except for 17s which are AT Italia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I might have to go down to the wrecker and jack the car up and try a few different sizes.
The brakes on these are a little bigger so I don't think I will go much below 19's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, Here's my setup. I went from the original 20' rims down to 18' .. Stock height no rubbing. It was a pain to find the right offset and bolt pattern and bore but after much research I found:

BBS SR ANTHRACITE 18x8 et 50 | 5x130 Bolt Pattern | 71.5 center bore
GoodYear Wrangler DURATRAC SL 265/60/18

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Thanks guys I might have to go down to the wrecker and jack the car up and try a few different sizes.
The brakes on these are a little bigger so I don't think I will go much below 19's.
Two things. The chance of a wrecking yard having your bolt pattern is thin to none

Second, the offset on the Toureg is VERY specific. Even if the bolt pattern of a random wheel matches, the odds of the offset working are thin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two things. The chance of a wrecking yard having your bolt pattern is thin to none

Second, the offset on the Toureg is VERY specific. Even if the bolt pattern of a random wheel matches, the odds of the offset working are thin
Thanks for the reply
I should have mentioned it is a VW specific wrecker

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Thanks for the reply
I should have mentioned it is a VW specific wrecker
Unless they have q7, cayenne, touareg or other Porsche there is still a small chance of success

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey Redline, I have an R50 (since 2009) and have had Porsche Cayenne 19"wheels on it but that is a little limiting for AT tyres.
I currently am running 18"Audi Q7 wheels with Michelin AT tyres 265 60 which just rub the front inner guards in some spots as they are 50mm larger in diameter in that size. These were the only 18 'wheels I could find that actually cleared the front callipers as the after market ones had the groove to allow the tyre to move enough to demount was always in the wrong place. I have 6 and rotate regularly to even wear so as not to get too big a variation in diameter. The offset is a little different but it works. It is strictly speaking not legal as it is not a placarded size for 'winter' wheels. Cheers, John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,
Thanks for the info.
Would like to put a tyre on with a bit more side wall for towing and country roads. I don't trust the car to do a long trip yet without a spare tyre.

45 series rubber is great for freeways but not that good in Cobar.
Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts