Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am returning my 2010 TDI to VW and using the cash to buy a newer Treg (2012-2013). I read about a lot of Q7 owners who hate the change as well as some Treg owners though I'm not sure what year and if the newer ones are in the same boat. I also read a lot of them had issues postfix and parts were not available hence some were stuck in a rental for months.

I test drove a 2013 TDI and it felt great however I'm still concerned about parts.

I read somewhere that since the emission system was designed to be turned off mostly they were not engineered for daily use and postfix this will cause problems. Does anyone know if the fix for the later Tregs includes upgraded parts to avoid this?

I don't tow therefore I don't necessarily need a TDI and I'm thinking of getting the v6 to be safe.

The market is flooded with TDI's in my area I'm guessing due to VW selling all the fixed Tregs they bought back.

There is a private TDI for sale where the owner is selling it after 5000kms of the fix. Based on the description it is a well cared for vehicle and my take is that he didn't like the fix and is selling it as a result.

There is a great looking 2012 TDI currently for sale near-by that I can jump on if I can find enough evidence that there won't be performance and maintenance issue in the future.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The original TDI emission parts are light duty and will burn out if used full time.

The emission upgrade replaces those parts. You get a fair amount of newer, better parts. You also get a great warranty of those parts.

The gas engine is also a nice choice and they make a great used vehicle.

Used TDI's are a good choice, due to the post fix extended VW dealer warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
550 Posts
I love my 2011 gasser.
If you're not towing anything behind the Treg I just don't see the need for a TDI. IMO.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Used TDI's are a good choice, due to the post fix extended VW dealer warranty.
Does a "fixed" Canadian TDI get the same warranty extension the US cars do?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My wife has a 2015 fixed TDI. Right after it was fixed, up to this very day, we can't tell a single bit of difference.

I have a 2016 fixed Cayenne Diesel. I also cannot tell a single lick of difference. The mpg, power, everything, is exactly the same as before the fix, that we both got another $10,000 or so thrown at us is the only difference.

There is no consensus as there are some who report hesitation, lag and don't like either their Touareg TDI or their Cayenne Diesels after the fix.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
...to buy a newer Treg (2012-2013).

There is a great looking 2012 TDI currently for sale near-by that I can jump on if I can find enough evidence that there won't be performance and maintenance issue in the future.
Don't forget that a 2012 is considered Gen 1 in terms of the TDI engine. 2013 and later have the updated engine, and were never bought back, just "fixed".

I went from a 2010 TDI to a 2013 TDI and couldn't be more happy. I ended up with more money from VW, than the '13 cost me. Plus a 2 year warranty!

I do tow, so I stuck with the TDI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does a "fixed" Canadian TDI get the same warranty extension the US cars do?
Thanks for all the replies, they are excellent feedback some of which I had not thought of.

Yes, I believe so. We got 40,000km extra warranty on emission related hardware. There is another private sale here for which the owner claims the extra warranty covers the engine as well. I don't recall that the engines were also covered but I could be wrong. Were they covered in the US?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love my 2011 gasser.
If you're not towing anything behind the Treg I just don't see the need for a TDI. IMO.
Thanks for chiming in as most of the commenters here and other threads are TDI owners. I bought the TDI due to fuel savings aspect of it, however, the 2011-2013 model year gas engine seems to negate some of that as they are lighter cars and have the 8 speed tranny. Since I don't tow the extra upfront cost of the vehicle and extra potential repair items on the emission hardware, having to refill the AdBlue tank, and the fact diesel costs more here than gas during the winter negates the need for the diesel. The one strong argument for the diesel is that they supposed to last longer than the gas version aside from the towing capability. How many miles/kms do you have on yours?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no consensus as there are some who report hesitation, lag and don't like either their Touareg TDI or their Cayenne Diesels after the fix.
Thank you for weighing in on this. This is true, this is why I am asking to find out if there are just as many satisfied owners postfix as I am aware mostly the folks with problems tend to post.

It's interesting that you don't notice a difference at all though, as the recall did claim a consumption hit along with additional adblue usage as well. I would have thought that applies the gen 2 ones as well but perhaps not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget that a 2012 is considered Gen 1 in terms of the TDI engine. 2013 and later have the updated engine, and were never bought back, just "fixed".

I went from a 2010 TDI to a 2013 TDI and couldn't be more happy. I ended up with more money from VW, than the '13 cost me. Plus a 2 year warranty!

I do tow, so I stuck with the TDI.
I didn't think of this! Since I was gen 1 I never thought about when gen 2 started. This is odd as I did go through the model years to see when minor updates happened and did not notice an updated engine for 2013. I did notice that the gas version uses more gas starting in 2014 which doesn't make sense to me as the next redesign happened in 2015. Having said that, now that I think about it I do remember there was a 15hp bump in power for the gas engines and I guess it must have happened in 2014 then.

I am in the same boat as you. I bought my 2010 in 2016 though and it's a US version therefore I get US$ for it which means I am getting about double what I paid for it.

Not that I don't believe you but I need to lookup the engine update for 2013. I find it odd that they changed the engine "out of phase" with redesigns in 2011 and 2015. Did the TDI get more power as well? Do you know what the reason for the update was?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I believe the power bump was from an updated turbo. But general hose routing was improved, less timing chains and significant weight loss were all improvements in 2013.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the power bump was from an updated turbo. But general hose routing was improved, less timing chains and significant weight loss were all improvements in 2013.
That makes sense. I test drove the 2013 and it felt much smoother/quieter/and stronger than mine. It also explains why it was significantly more expensive than older TDIs.

In the meantime I looked up my recall letter and amazingly enough the "assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train" are covered for 4 years or 77,000kms which is about 50,000 miles. That is essentially the entire engine. Interesting, perhaps I should consider the TDI then.

Was the gen 2 fix only software and if so did you also receive this comprehensive extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thank you for weighing in on this. This is true, this is why I am asking to find out if there are just as many satisfied owners postfix as I am aware mostly the folks with problems tend to post.

It's interesting that you don't notice a difference at all though, as the recall did claim a consumption hit along with additional adblue usage as well. I would have thought that applies the gen 2 ones as well but perhaps not.
I don't notice and have not noticed a single thing and my mpg has stayed the same. I don't even notice a change in the Adblue/DEF consumption although I do know that when I tow, I get the 1,000 miles to empty-DEF tank countdown quicker.

Again, like some had pointed out, our 2015 and 2016 are GenII for which there was a fix.

I had sold back my 2012-which was an awesome TDI and I would still have it if VW did not buy it back and I would not hesitate to have another one if there were no GenII or Cayenne diesels available for sale.

There are a lot of reasons why some prefer a diesel over the gas 3.6L engine. The power, smoothness and quiet of the engine. We get better than 30 mpg on the highway and never less than 20 mpg in any sort of operation. If all there was was a gas V6, I doubt I'd have gotten either a Touareg or a Cayenne at all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Gen 2 fix included software updates to the transmission and engine, plus hardware changes to the Adblue system.

My biggest 2 complaints since the fix is the crappy transmission shifting characteristics, including holding the gears much too long when cold. And the hesitation I occasionally experience (most likely related to the transmission mapping). I may get the TCM reprogrammed back to original. There is a member on this forum doing the flash for a charge.

My '13 uses more Adblue than my '10. Knock on wood, but I have had no emissions issues since I bought my '13 in July.

Canadians do get the extended warranty on the entire engine. That made it so simple to "trade up". But once the warranty runs out, I'll be disabling the Adblue and DPF systems at the first sign of trouble.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't notice and have not noticed a single thing and my mpg has stayed the same. I don't even notice a change in the Adblue/DEF consumption although I do know that when I tow, I get the 1,000 miles to empty-DEF tank countdown quicker.

Again, like some had pointed out, our 2015 and 2016 are GenII for which there was a fix.

I had sold back my 2012-which was an awesome TDI and I would still have it if VW did not buy it back and I would not hesitate to have another one if there were no GenII or Cayenne diesels available for sale.

There are a lot of reasons why some prefer a diesel over the gas 3.6L engine. The power, smoothness and quiet of the engine. We get better than 30 mpg on the highway and never less than 20 mpg in any sort of operation. If all there was was a gas V6, I doubt I'd have gotten either a Touareg or a Cayenne at all.
We planned to hold on to our 2010 for the long term and would also plan to hold on to the replacement long term i.e. drive it into the ground or until repair expenses get prohibitive. My main 3 considerations are 1. driving characteristics 2. fuel consumption 3. reliability/repair costs.

After my test drive of the 2013 I think #1 should be ok despite scubacruiser's comments below.

We drive 80-90% in the city and have been getting 13.5l/100kms (17-18mpg) which I would like to improve. The 2011-13 v6 is rated at 12.3l/100km (~19mpg) city and the 2013 TDI is rated 11.1l/100km (just under 10.5mpg) city while oddly the 2015 TDI is rates lower at 12l/100km (19.5mpg). I'm using numbers from autotrader listings. In any case the V6 would be a slight improvement over my current TDI which would be great if it means not having to deal with emission issues or drivability issues. I still haven't driven a v6 though to compare drivability. This later point address #3.

I still haven't made up my mind yet so please feel free to chime in with your experience and MPG for 2011-13 vehicles.

A final consideration is that while I could use my cash proceeds from the buyback to buy a 2013 TDI I would prefer to divert some funds elsewhere, therefore, I would have to be able to find a 2013 TDI for a good deal in order to go that route.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My biggest 2 complaints since the fix is the crappy transmission shifting characteristics, including holding the gears much too long when cold. And the hesitation I occasionally experience (most likely related to the transmission mapping). I may get the TCM reprogrammed back to original. There is a member on this forum doing the flash for a charge.

My '13 uses more Adblue than my '10. Knock on wood, but I have had no emissions issues since I bought my '13 in July.

Canadians do get the extended warranty on the entire engine. That made it so simple to "trade up". But once the warranty runs out, I'll be disabling the Adblue and DPF systems at the first sign of trouble.
Yes, this is a common complaint I read about. However if it's only until the engine is warmed up which should only be a few minutes it's not really an issue correct?

That's the crux of it isn't it? Once the warranty runs out. We put on close to 30,000kms per year which means it won't take long before the warranty runs out even if I can find one that was fixed recently.

I have heard about the guy how does the remap which I would definitely look into. I also heard about the AdBlue delete although my understanding is that it's not cheap.

decisions, decisions. My wife is inclined to go with the v6 just to be over and done with it and be on the safe side. I am starting to lean that way as well as this is taking a lot of time and effort on the research!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We planned to hold on to our 2010 for the long term and would also plan to hold on to the replacement long term i.e. drive it into the ground or until repair expenses get prohibitive. My main 3 considerations are 1. driving characteristics 2. fuel consumption 3. reliability/repair costs.

After my test drive of the 2013 I think #1 should be ok despite scubacruiser's comments below.

We drive 80-90% in the city and have been getting 13.5l/100kms (17-18mpg) which I would like to improve. The 2011-13 v6 is rated at 12.3l/100km (~19mpg) city and the 2013 TDI is rated 11.1l/100km (just under 10.5mpg) city while oddly the 2015 TDI is rates lower at 12l/100km (19.5mpg). I'm using numbers from autotrader listings. In any case the V6 would be a slight improvement over my current TDI which would be great if it means not having to deal with emission issues or drivability issues. I still haven't driven a v6 though to compare drivability. This later point address #3.

I still haven't made up my mind yet so please feel free to chime in with your experience and MPG for 2011-13 vehicles.

A final consideration is that while I could use my cash proceeds from the buyback to buy a 2013 TDI I would prefer to divert some funds elsewhere, therefore, I would have to be able to find a 2013 TDI for a good deal in order to go that route.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not do a single thing differently.

The 2012 TDI Exec I had gotten was a fantastic truck. It towed my 7,000 lb boat brilliantly and still returned 20/29 hwy.

That VW gave me well over what I had paid for the truck so that when all was said and done, I only had to pay an extra $1,500 for a 2016 Cayenne Diesel, well, it was the automobile lottery win of a lifetime as the Cayenne Diesel is just a little better in all areas compared to the Treg.

Like you, I'm keeping this CD until it doesn't make sense any more. I will keep it out of warranty, no problem. If there was not a CD that I could afford, I'd be thrilled with a 2013+ Treg TDI, absolutely. Just test drive the trucks before you buy and make sure you can live with the way the truck runs/performs.

I think that those who are buying the fixed, or unfixed TDI's or any of the VW diesels, are some of the wisest people in North America. They are great vehicles with the GenII's getting extended warranties.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 2015 has seen a decent drop in acceleration. I used torque lite to get some 0-60 times pre and post fix. My best pre-fix 0-60 was 7.3 seconds. My best post-fix was 8 seconds flat. That is using sport mode and brake torquing the launch. To give you an even clearer idea of post fix behavior and a little more 'regular' acceleration, just flooring in sport mode pre-fix would always return a 7.6-7.8 second run. Post fix, doing the same procedure never gets the car under 9 seconds. Pre-fix, flooring it in Drive would routinely result in low 8 second times and be about 1 second faster than post fix.

Most of the time, driving regularly, I dont notice a difference. But I do notice a difference when asking the car to accelerate hard and transmission lag when taking off from a rolling stop. The warranty makes the TDI worth it at this point.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I don't see any reason to delete anything until it is out of warranty. Even then, it is not worth doing until something breaks. If it is working and all you have to do is add adblue, I would just keep doing that.

Most of the commonly defective adblue components have been replaced by newer, updated, less likely to fail parts. I am not expecting to see the updated parts to fail like the originals.

Funny how that original adblue heater was not a problem, until VW realized that they had to keep replacing them over for free.

Suddenly, just like magic, a updated part materialized out of thin air.

Do you believe in magic? Perhaps it was a miracle? Perhaps we will never know. Anyway, Thanks Judge Prosner. lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 2015 has seen a decent drop in acceleration. I used torque lite to get some 0-60 times pre and postfix. My best pre-fix 0-60 was 7.3 seconds. My best post-fix was 8 seconds flat. That is using sport mode and brake torquing the launch. To give you an even clearer idea of postfix behavior and a little more 'regular' acceleration, just flooring in sport mode pre-fix would always return a 7.6-7.8 second run. Postfix, doing the same procedure never gets the car under 9 seconds. Pre-fix, flooring it in Drive would routinely result in low 8 second times and be about 1 second faster than postfix.

Most of the time, driving regularly, I don't notice a difference. But I do notice a difference when asking the car to accelerate hard and transmission lag when taking off from a rolling stop. The warranty makes the TDI worth it at this point.
This is excellent feedback, thank you. This is the family wagon. I won't be taking it to the drag strip and the closest I will come to needing performance is overtaking on the highway speeds and "slightly" above >:). Based on my experience test driving the 2013 TDI I think I would be happy with it. It helps that I'm coming in as a new driver. I I knew the car well and then had the fix applied and it lost performance it would be a different story.

So, the next step will be the price as the 2013 TDI are about CAD$4000 more expensive than the v6 and even more at a VW dealer. I just saw a new one at a VW dealer which might work for me but it's about 5k more than what I was hoping to pay. But the fact it's a one owner vehicle with full service history and low kms might make me go for it.

Having said that, I still want to drive a v6 to compare.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts