Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a offroading Touareg, question is should which i should get. I cant seem to find a TDI with air suspension, I mostly wanted the TDI because its more economical and heard its more reliable than the V8. Yet, the V8s have the rear locking differential that i have yet to see on a V6 TDI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It depends on how you want to go off roading. Are you just going up dirt roads and trails or are you going to climb rocks? It also depends how easy you can get parts for you rig. I have a T1 w/ steel and center lock. It will do fine for the trail's that I do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
TDI's with air suspension are nice and definitely going to be hard to find since they were by special order only. Rear diff lock is not needed imo and I have had mine in some pretty steep interesting areas. I used the center lock maybe a hand ful of times. Torque in low range is really nice for climbing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I appreciate the feedback , I think I'm gonna go for T2 tdi that I wanted as soon as can find one

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yep depends how hard you want to go. Steel springs will be more bullet proof and (i could be wrong and stand to be corrected) easier to add a lift kit if you get hooked.

Ive had both steel in a 2005 v8 and now air in a 2009 Tdi and love the air although for on road would love "slightly" stiffer sway bars but she is still great .. this is just me. The air eats up a tone of little obstacles the steel still feels.

Suppose at the end of the day depends how "civilised" you want your ride to be.

Whats your plan for play ?

Reactions: BurritoSlayer

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I would 100% go for the air. If you want to really offroad, that ability to raise the vehicle is a major plus.

With the low range, you always have plenty of torque, even with the smallest and underpowered 2004 V6.

You are trading better off road abilities (adjustable air lift) vs better mpg (tdi) on the highway.

So, which is more important to you. Off Road or Highway? That is how you should decide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im in the market for a offroading Touareg, question is should which i should get. I cant seem to find a TDI with air suspension, I mostly wanted the TDI because its more economical and heard its more reliable than the V8. Yet, the V8s have the rear locking differential that i have yet to see on a V6 TDI.
Not sure where you are but check Ebay for AZ Euros 602 606-7416 or do a search. They have a 2010 with air for sale right now. ask foe Dave, I picked on up from him about a month ago. DJ not promoting a business but they do have one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep depends how hard you want to go. Steel springs will be more bullet proof and (i could be wrong and stand to be corrected) easier to add a lift kit if you get hooked.

Ive had both steel in a 2005 v8 and now air in a 2009 Tdi and love the air although for on road would love "slightly" stiffer sway bars but she is still great .. this is just me. The air eats up a tone of little obstacles the steel still feels.

Suppose at the end of the day depends how "civilised" you want your ride to be.

Whats your plan for play ?

I would 100% go for the air. If you want to really offroad, that ability to raise the vehicle is a major plus.

With the low range, you always have plenty of torque, even with the smallest and underpowered 2004 V6.

You are trading better off road abilities (adjustable air lift) vs better mpg (tdi) on the highway.

So, which is more important to you. Off Road or Highway? That is how you should decide.
It basically want you want to do, if I can can get air I'll get it but Ill priortize a TDI first. I wanted at least weekend camper/utility, these Touaregs feel like a perfect dual sport for on and off-roading with little compromise for both. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2010 Touareg TDI
9 Posts
I just bought my 2010 TDI w/air about a month ago and love it. They are rare and I looked about a year to find mine. I live in Phoenix and have visited AZ Euros about six months ago to see one. Let's just say it looked way better in photos and they are kind of pricey there. I found mine on facebook marketplace in Denver on a Wednesday and flew there and drove it home a few days later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
True that, but I really love my Touareg and Dave knows them, and knows what he has. They are rare. Worth the effort to look around for a while to see what's out there. They are deffinately few and far between. I paid 13,000 for mine with 80,000 miles with VW 48 month warranty on emissions equipment CARB approved (California), also about 1.500 worth of service. Deffinately a turn key Treg. The only reason I mentioned AZ Euros is because I had a great experience but Dave knows them and is an enthusiast.Looking forward to some off-road adventures soon.
DJ

·
Registered
2010 TDI w/ air
77 Posts
I waited for a long time to find a 2010 TDI with air. My last one was a V8 with air. I'll continue to prefer air because towing is just a bit higher on my priority list than certain off-road characteristics. Air is so nice and a must for towing for me, personally. A pure off-roader, I'd go coil springs, I think.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Sorry, not far. I'm in SoCal but have plenty of off road experience with my highly modified T3 Syncro Doublecab. Over 300,000 miles and counting 😁
I would love to put them side by side and see how they do
Cool rig!

Torque wise there isn't much difference. But I think you may have more longevity with the tdi. There are quite a few over 200k mi (including mine).

Lots of pros and cons on the suspension choices. But it's hard to beat the adjustable clearance & damping of air if you can find it. Otherwise, you can lift & dial in the steel the way you like. As long as you can live with 'one size fits all.'

Good luck & enjoy the journey

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
Cool rig!

Torque wise there isn't much difference. But I think you may have more longevity with the tdi. There are quite a few over 200k mi (including mine).

Lots of pros and cons on the suspension choices. But it's hard to beat the adjustable clearance & damping of air if you can find it. Otherwise, you can lift & dial in the steel the way you like. As long as you can live with 'one size fits all.'

Good luck & enjoy the journey
Shubie, long time no hear! I didn't think you still had your Treg. Glad to see you are still around!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Shubie, long time no hear! I didn't think you still had your Treg. Glad to see you are still around!!
Hey Yeti, how 'ya been? I've still got the Treg. (And a pair of teenagers taking up most of my time... ;-)
I lurk here and there for the usual reasons: need to turn a wrench, or see something that catches my eye. Good to hear from you. Cheers, Schubie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts