Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new (to me) Touareg. I've found two 2010's, both in excelent shape, and around $60,000 miles on them. The options they have are about the same....they are pretty much identical....except the price, and the motor's.

One is a black V6 TDI for $22,500 (at a dealer)

One is a white VR6 gas for $16,000 (private party)

For a vehicle that we are planning on keeping for a long time, and putting lots of miles on it......which is the better deal when it's all said and done? Is the TDI work $6,500 more? We put around 10,000 miles on our cars each year....so just based off of fuel savings, it's hard to justify the TDI. But what about resale in 7-9 years?

Any info would be great! Thanks!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new (to me) Touareg. I've found two 2010's, both in excelent shape, and around $60,000 miles on them. The options they have are about the same....they are pretty much identical....except the price, and the motor's.

One is a black V6 TDI for $22,500 (at a dealer)

One is a white VR6 gas for $16,000 (private party)

For a vehicle that we are planning on keeping for a long time, and putting lots of miles on it......which is the better deal when it's all said and done? Is the TDI work $6,500 more? We put around 10,000 miles on our cars each year....so just based off of fuel savings, it's hard to justify the TDI. But what about resale in 7-9 years?

Any info would be great! Thanks!!
It depends...frankly, I think both are about $5K overpriced, unless you getting a pretty comprehensive 3/30K warranty bundled in.

I missed out on a loaded '10 V6 TDI with air at $15K early this month, then bought another loaded '10 V6 TDI with air, and an extended warranty, at about your price point. (The first was underpriced...the used car dealer didn't know what he had and underpriced it).

Loaded means Nav, Dynaudio, power seats, bixenon lamps, leather, tow, etc. Do the research on the options available and make sure that "loaded" means more than moonroof and AC. :)

Gas cars are a dime/dozen. TDIs have dropped somewhat in price.

The key is to buy a well kept vehicle -- was it dealer (or good private mechanic) maintained? Have all the recalls been done? Is it clean and presentable? Is it the color combination you want?

And no, diesel doesn't make sense financially. You'll save less than $1K/year in fuel costs, and while you might make some of the difference back at resale, it won't balance financially. On the other hand, if you've driven the diesel and like how it feels, buy it. :) I did!

Part of my calculation was day to day operating costs...One tank a month, rather than 1.5 or two...the fun of being able to drive from Boston to NYC and back, and then back to NYC again...

Whatever you do, have a good PPI done! Do you have good private mechanic? They are mandatory!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What models are they? Sport, Lux, Exec? The Exec is the top of the line, Sport at the bottom. I would have the TDI if it was me. Find out which one is the Exec model and go from there.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What models are they? Sport, Lux, Exec? The Exec is the top of the line, Sport at the bottom. I would have the TDI if it was me. Find out which one is the Exec model and go from there.
2010's weren't categorized that way - only 2011 and newer (T3).

To the OP - keep looking - as stated I think you can do much better on pricing. Get to know the options too - a "stripper" car with leatherette, no Nav etc is worth about 2.5 - 4k less than a "loaded" one with Nav, Air Suspension, Tow Package, 4 zone climate (and rear heated seats), etc. But they generally aren't priced that way at dealers - they price strippers like they are loaded.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm located in Missouri.......nice used Touaregs are RARE around here. It's seems like once you start searching out on the east or west coast they really come down in price, but here in the midwest, they are very hard to come buy. Even these two are a 3+ hour drive from where I live.

Here is the midwest....everyone seems to want to buy Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.....anything European is few and far between.

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
On your mileage, buy the white gasser and get a decent warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm located in Missouri.......nice used Touaregs are RARE around here. It's seems like once you start searching out on the east or west coast they really come down in price, but here in the midwest, they are very hard to come buy. Even these two are a 3+ hour drive from where I live.

Here is the midwest....everyone seems to want to buy Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.....anything European is few and far between.
Find one at a dealer (they're used to this) and fly out and drive it home. I've done that twice (both VWs, coincidentally) and it has worked out quite well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would get the TDI only if you can get the price down to $20,000 and nothing higher. $22,500 is too much.

Reactions: chrisw

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
Price seems high, even for the miles.No air suspension and does not appear to have a rear axle locking diff, either.

Doesn't look like it has rear climate control, either.
There was no locking rear diff option for the 09-10. There are few 09's with it, but they were VW Corp executive cars that they sold to dealers when they were done with them. They tended to have options you could not order a vehicle with at all. You could not order one with a locking rear diff and nor did they have the four zone as an option in those years either. Again, if come across one it more then likely is a former Corp car. Air was an order only option and I think someone here posted once there was less they 2K of them ordered with air on those two years. Air suspension is going to be the hardest option to find in those years. My personal opinion once you drive the TDI you will want it. I personally don't want another gas vehicle again if I can help it. The torque is addicting...:)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That's crazy. They TOOK AWAY options in the later years???? :- /

I guess not many people wanted a locking diff in a $50K vehicle. But why remove the 4 zone climate control??? I'm going to love that feature when I have family come visit. No more arguing/complaining over being too hot or too cold.

I'm understanding now why people are calling their later TDI's with air suspension a unicorn.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
They have steadily decontented the Touareg since about the second or third year of production which is when I think the plastic side engine covers disappeared...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They have steadily decontented the Touareg since about the second or third year of production which is when I think the plastic side engine covers disappeared...
And, ironically with the T3, the 2016 got more content such as lane change assist, lane departure assist, ventilated seats with side bolsters, adaptive cruise control, etc. Still no 4-zone cc and no air suspension, though.

Maybe the 2016 will be a different uniform of sorts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Why decontent the Touareg in the US? To sell more Cayennes and Q7s of course. Most buyers were not equipping their Treg's with that stuff anyway.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Why decontent the Touareg in the US? To sell more Cayennes and Q7s of course. Most buyers were not equipping their Treg's with that stuff anyway.
That 'stuff' wasn't available for buyers to even 'equip' here. Aside from air suspension, the other items I listed are standard fare on a Kia, Jeep, Dodge, etc. That's one reason why VW added content in 2016, most of which are standard on two trims.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
That's crazy. They TOOK AWAY options in the later years???? :- /

I guess not many people wanted a locking diff in a $50K vehicle. But why remove the 4 zone climate control??? I'm going to love that feature when I have family come visit. No more arguing/complaining over being too hot or too cold.

I'm understanding now why people are calling their later TDI's with air suspension a unicorn.
Tell me honestly how often you really have used that locking rear diff? I had been on trails in and around Ouray and not once ever felt I would need a locking rear diff. I have used the locking center only a few times. It honestly has no real purpose that I ever saw other then to say you had a Treg with it.

Me personally I don't care about four zone. I am the only one that is ever in my car. There were other features removed as well that I have learned to live with out. Folding mirrors, tilt in reverse and no memory options for the seats and mirrors. The mirrors on the T2 don't fold like they did on the T1 anyhow and don't seem to stick out as far either. I'm just really not missing those features at all. It is just what VW does. You wait and see I bet the new gen will have decontented features once they decide to redo the whole vehicle again. Seems to be the norm with VW.

Reactions: BenTDI

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Lets be frank - the only option that went away that anyone cares about is air suspension.

VW decontented the Touareg quickly after 2006 as it became obvious it was at too high of a price point. Nobody was opting for full leather interiors, rear diff locks and items of the like. VW did what they could to reduce price of the vehicle and keep it current and modern. That said - the 09 was my favorite of all the 4 gen 1/2 Touaregs I owned by a long shot. And my V10 was full jam - every option.

In the current model run, there has been no decontenting, its been add-ons. '13 got the 240hp TDI, 14 got LED tailights and an R Line package, 15 got a facelift, 16 is getting vented seats and driver aids..all good things that people want...I'll suspect we'll see some new stuff in 17 and 18 before the replacement arrives on these shores in 19.

IMO air suspension should be a 3K add on option as it is on the Q7, X5, Cayenne and ML. Otherwise they are doing the right thing (other than not updating the gasoline engine)

Reactions: BenTDI and zosocane
1 - 20 of 25 Posts