Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a 2011 - 2015 Touareg TDI. I'm pretty well set on the TDI because I'll use it for towing, so I'm not going down the same path as the other recent threads on gas vs diesel. I am curious however on any differences between years that I need to be aware of when I'm choosing. I found a 2012 Lux that I'm interested in, is there anything specific with that year to be worried about?

I also noticed on the car fax that it had the muffler replaced, and fuel tank removed and reinstalled at 50,000 miles. Was that a recall? Is that a known issue?

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
2013 and onward received a slight boost in power (from 225hp/406 ft-lbs tq to 240 hp/406 ft-lbs tq).

As far as I'm aware, they all have the same common problems (fuel pump failure and AdBlue heater issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Later years bring a little more content, but not really much of significance, imho. A little more power in 2013. The R-line become available in 2014 if that is something you are looking for. In terms of maintenance and issues, not really much difference. A well maintained one could either run for years with little work or have a major issue the day after you own it. Look for one with good maintenance records, lower miles and the features you need. Don't worry much about the model year.

I assume you have already read the buying guide that Nooby points out to everyone.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The T1/T2 guide is in my signature below.

There isn't one for the T3/4. Apart from lots of dud ad-blu parts, some early HPFP disasters and the SWS issue, they've been reasonably reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2013 and onward received a slight boost in power (from 225hp/406 ft-lbs tq to 240 hp/406 ft-lbs tq).

As far as I'm aware, they all have the same common problems (fuel pump failure and AdBlue heater issues.
Has anybody driven the car both before and after the power boost who can comment on whether or not it is noticeable? I drove a 2015, and the acceleration was fine for me. I'm guessing I'm be equally satisfied with the 2012 even with the 15hp deficit....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Has anybody driven the car both before and after the power boost who can comment on whether or not it is noticeable? I drove a 2015, and the acceleration was fine for me. I'm guessing I'm be equally satisfied with the 2012 even with the 15hp deficit....
As the torque rating hasn't changed at all, you probably won't notice any difference!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The turbos are different on the two engines. The earlier engines (CATA) had a turbo that cut in earlier, and produces full torque at lower revs (about 1800rpm), it is a noticeable amount.
The later engines had the turbo changed to produce their torque at higher engine speeds to be more "cayenne"-like, and meet the demand for higher "horsepower".
Don't forget, torque is the value that is directly measured on a dynamometer, horsepower is calculated by multiplying the measured torque by a fixed constant, which takes into account the speed of the engine. That is how these little engines nowadays are rated at such high horsepower, a little torque, and high, high revs. Of course, the faster your engine turns, the faster it wears....

Reactions: lml999

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a 12 and my wife has a 15. My 12 has 45,600 and the wife has 8,600 miles.

Every time I drive the 15, everything feels smoother and lighter and the motor feels a bit quicker to rev and just a bit faster everywhere.

When I get in my 12 and drive it, after a little while I don't really notice the difference as the truck is as tight as the day I got it. When it comes down to it, I think the biggest difference is the newness and so few miles she has on her 15 compared to my 12.

When I have towed my boat with both trucks, I can't tell a bit of difference as they both tow the boat easily and if there is a 15-HP difference, I can't tell.

I've read people repeating the same thing about how the HP in the 225 motor comes on sooner but no one has ever shown a graph/chart to actually show it, it is just parroting from what I have seen.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've read people repeating the same thing about how the HP in the 225 motor comes on sooner but no one has ever shown a graph/chart to actually show it, it is just parroting from what I have seen.
VW literature claims 2012 3.0 TDI develops its peak HP at 3500 RPM and its peak torque at 1750 RPM while 2015 model 3.0 TDI develops its peak HP at 4000 RPM and peak torque at 2000 RPM. No need for dynographs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
VW literature claims 2012 3.0 TDI develops its peak HP at 3500 RPM and its peak torque at 1750 RPM while 2015 model 3.0 TDI develops its peak HP at 4000 RPM and peak torque at 2000 RPM. No need for dynographs. .
Q.E.D.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I believe due to the different turbo on the 13, larger gains can be had with software from APR or other tuners. I honestly hardly noticed a difference with the software on my 11. APR claimed 13 hp and 31 ft-lb torque.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts