Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MY16 150TDI Element that needs new rear tyres. It currently has Continental Cross Contacts, and the rears are worn out at 45k. We do a little bit of towing, but am a bit disappointed that I have only got this mileage out of them.
Two questions;
1. Has anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion All seasons, and what are they like for ride, handling, longevity and noise?
2. As the fronts still have a reasonable amount of life left in them, is it going to cause problems fitting two tyres of a different brand, or should I go for a new set of four?

TIA for any helpful advice

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never mix different makes and models of tyres on a 4x4, especially the Touareg.

All 4 tyres MUST be IDENTICAL to avoid damage to the transmission due to wind up.

So that means same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern, and same tread depth to within 2mm on the same axle and to within 3mm between the front and rear axles.

So, yes, you either need two new CCC tyres to match the fronts if the tread depth on those is 5mm or more (new road biased tyres usually have 8mm) otherwise you need a full set of 4.

45K is good for a Touareg even if that is kilometres!

Click on User CP to update your profile with model, year and location to get accurate answers to any future questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that noobytoogy. I thought that as the Treg has a central diff I might have been able to use unmatched tyres. Yes, the car has done 45 k km.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Your current tires have a 680 threadwear rating....
The Scorpions are slightly less at 600
The Scorpions Verde PLUS are rated better at 740.....

I currently have Scorpions Verde on my '14, but haven't owned it too long. I'm very pleased with their comfort, handling and noise.
I plan on replacing them with the more expensive Verde PLUS listed above...... it won't be a cheap purchase, but I suspect it will be worth it.

I think that if you can get 50k+ out of a tire on a vehicle this heavy, especially with towing involved, you're doing amazing. Lots of users wear out tires much faster without any towing. Lower your expectations as I believe they are unrealistic for real world use.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks for that noobytoogy. I thought that as the Treg has a central diff I might have been able to use unmatched tyres. Yes, the car has done 45 k km.
Cheers
From the timing of your 1st post I thought you might be down under!

I've always considered 30,000 miles to be okay and anything in excess of that a bonus but then I discard tyres at 50% tread depth as their performance on and off road falls off a cliff after that.

Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To add to Nooby’s first post...you should even try to get a matching set. Meaning all four of your tires should be milled from the same run of rubber, one right after the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a MY16 150TDI Element that needs new rear tyres. It currently has Continental Cross Contacts, and the rears are worn out at 45k. We do a little bit of towing, but am a bit disappointed that I have only got this mileage out of them.
Two questions;
1. Has anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion All seasons, and what are they like for ride, handling, longevity and noise?
2. As the fronts still have a reasonable amount of life left in them, is it going to cause problems fitting two tyres of a different brand, or should I go for a new set of four?

TIA for any helpful advice
I prefer Continental tires on my VW / Audi cars. However, Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires were OE for my 2012 TDI Lux.

I chose to fit the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus version instead, based on Piirelli's own assessment of the two versions of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. They performed very well. Kept properly balanced and rotated, they wore evenly on all four tires and handled very well in the wet and light snow. I got three years and 30k miles before they got close to the wear marks. Had I kept the Touareg, I would have replaced them this coming Spring with another set.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have just fitted perelli Verdi all season tyres they haven't done a lot of mileage yet but they are certainly quieter and feel good on the road and rated as a high mileage tyre, tyre sales have them on special at the moment.
Colin

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts