Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am wondering what Treg to purchase for my first buy.
Should I steer clear of a certain year? I am thinking 2007 would be good.
I heard those do not have timing belts, and the earlier ones do, requiring more replacements, upkeep, etc..
Should I count out 2006 or earlier models because they have timing belts? How often do they need to be changed, do they go faster with chains?

I think the 2006 and higher models have backup cams. Is that correct? I like the idea of backup cams, or at least parking sensors. I have seen most 2004,2005 do not have parking sensors.
Love the idea of air suspension. Does the air suspension fail often? If it does will it render the car useless, or can I still drive it?
I live in the mountains, should I buy TDI? I have heard it is very expensive if it breaks. I will not consider gas v6 because of the power loss. V8 seems fine so far and I def love the power.

Am I the only one who is holding out for the perfect interior/exterior color combo? Black/Teak
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
in 2007 touareg V8 engine was upgraded to 32valve FSI direct injection technology, its more powerful as its producing 350HP (2003-2006 40 valve V8 has 310HP) and the main change was the timing chain, old ones have belts, all V6 models have chains, FSI V8 is more refined, air suspension is one of the most reliable systems in touaregs, especially in T2, ride is more comfortable, and extra clearance is a big advantage in critical moments. what else can i say, if i had to make a choice now i would go for 2008 + with air, i payed 12k in 2012 for my 05 V8 with almost all options, + shipping and tax, now with a little bit more you can have 2008 + for that money :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get an early V10.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
what are you looking for out of a vehicle ?

Petrol Diesel ?

single or married ( or committed)

long drives or short ?

the list goes on get some facts together and come back to use

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in 2007 touareg V8 engine was upgraded to 32valve FSI direct injection technology, its more powerful as its producing 350HP (2003-2006 40 valve V8 has 310HP) and the main change was the timing chain, old ones have belts, all V6 models have chains, FSI V8 is more refined, air suspension is one of the most reliable systems in touaregs, especially in T2, ride is more comfortable, and extra clearance is a big advantage in critical moments. what else can i say, if i had to make a choice now i would go for 2008 + with air, i payed 12k in 2012 for my 05 V8 with almost all options, + shipping and tax, now with a little bit more you can have 2008 + for that money :)
Thanks nikoloz,
Ride is more comfy in 08 than in 07? Why so, seats?
Any other considerable diff between 07 and 08?
Another thing I have noticed when looking at carfax, alot of sunroofs and headliners have been replaced. Is this normal for those T1's? How about T2's? Would that be enough to scare me away thinking there may be other problems lurking? If a Treg has lots of maintenance records, meaning things have been repaired or replaced, is that a bad sign?

Did you ship your car sight unseen? Were you scared it may not live up to your expectations?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are you looking for out of a vehicle ?

Petrol Diesel ?

single or married ( or committed)

long drives or short ?

the list goes on get some facts together and come back to use
I am curious about the TDI. I have driven one. TDI6. I felt more torque up front getting up and going. Just slightly faster than the v8. I liked that.
I have never driven a v10. I would assume much more powerful. I like the way the v8 drives on the highway. I do alot of driving up and down the mountain, so that would be a consideration. My Isuzu Rodeo v6 struggles to get up and keep up with other cars when going up the mountain. I do drive alot around town in Denver too. I am married, average income. I know these tregs are not cheap, and I am ok with that. I just do not want to get in over my head with TDI since I heard they are a beast if anything goes wrong. One guy said if the Turbo goes out, your looking at around 9k to repair. He said you could still drive car without the turbo, it just would feel like a regular 4 or 6 cylinder vehicle.
I do not take very long drives. Usually the longest drive is around 2 hours. But I am in my car ALL the time. I am almost 6'4 and would like something comfy with some good power behind me. I drive in the snow alot too, living in Denver, and off road a few times a year when going camping.
I like the idea of air suspension not only for off roading but also for driving around town with a few extra inches of added height to make it feel more truck like.
Is this ok to do? Driving around for long periods of time lifted up like that?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks nikoloz,
Ride is more comfy in 08 than in 07? Why so, seats?
Any other considerable diff between 07 and 08?
Another thing I have noticed when looking at carfax, alot of sunroofs and headliners have been replaced. Is this normal for those T1's? How about T2's? Would that be enough to scare me away thinking there may be other problems lurking? If a Treg has lots of maintenance records, meaning things have been repaired or replaced, is that a bad sign?

Did you ship your car sight unseen? Were you scared it may not live up to your expectations?
No I meant the ride comfort is better with air suspension than Spring , When i bought my car i have not seen it myself i had only photos from car s .com and full carfax reccord, Only the company representatives have Performed inspection and reported its condition, And when my beast arrived in shipping dock i was there when the shipping container Was opened, :) I bought it from audi dealer , audi of Mendham

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh I see...Been treating you ok?

"Any other considerable diff between 07 and 08?
Another thing I have noticed when looking at carfax, alot of sunroofs and headliners have been replaced. Is this normal for those T1's? How about T2's? Would that be enough to scare me away thinking there may be other problems lurking? If a Treg has lots of maintenance records, meaning things have been repaired or replaced, is that a bad sign?"

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
Headliners maybe due to sunroof drains clogging and causing leaks. I personally have not had an issue with this on either my 04 or my current 10. The V6 TDI will be way cheaper to maintain than a V10. You can get to the turbo easily on the V6, no idea what you friend is referring to unless he was talking about the V10. That requires the motor to be dropped to get to the turbos. Not the case on the V6, turbo is on top of the motor.

With all that being said, you will have a hard time finding a V6 TDI with air suspensions since there were not that many with the option and most like myself are not looking to sell theirs any time soon. I can confirm this motor does great at altitude here in UT and I have had it on many trails in Ouray, CO as well. You will not be disappointed at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Headliners maybe due to sunroof drains clogging and causing leaks. I personally have not had an issue with this on either my 04 or my current 10. The V6 TDI will be way cheaper to maintain than a V10. You can get to the turbo easily on the V6, no idea what you friend is referring to unless he was talking about the V10. That requires the motor to be dropped to get to the turbos. Not the case on the V6, turbo is on top of the motor.

With all that being said, you will have a hard time finding a V6 TDI with air suspensions since there were not that many with the option and most like myself are not looking to sell theirs any time soon. I can confirm this motor does great at altitude here in UT and I have had it on many trails in Ouray, CO as well. You will not be disappointed at all.
Is there such a thing as a 2007 TDI V6?
What year was TDI 6 first available, and if it is TDI does that automatically mean no timing belt?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Definitely sounds to me like you really need a V10.

No timing belt to worry about just a wonderful array of close-meshed gears . . . FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!

·
Super Moderator
9,434 Posts
v10 faster than v6?
I am looking at a 2006 v10 with 130k miles...

Does the TDI 6 have timing belt?
No 07 V6 TDI here in NA at all. They did not come here until 09. I think someone has hijacked Nooby's login since he would never recommend a V10 TDI...:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No 07 V6 TDI here in NA at all. They did not come here until 09. I think someone has hijacked Nooby's login since he would never recommend a V10 TDI...:)
Ok,
I am hearing V10=$$$$$ for basic repairs and upkeep.
Maybe I should just stick with V8, or 2009 or newer TDI 6.
If I did go V10, are there any advantages over the TDI 6 or V8?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,
I am hearing V10=$$$$$ for basic repairs and upkeep.
Maybe I should just stick with V8, or 2009 or newer TDI 6.
If I did go V10, are there any advantages over the TDI 6 or V8?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
v10 faster than v6?
I am looking at a 2006 v10 with 130k miles...

Does the TDI 6 have timing belt?
If you had really read the buying a Touareg thread and done your homework thoroughly, you would know the ONLY Touareg that has a timing belt is the early V8.

And having to ask the question whether a V10 is faster than a V6 . . .

Volkswagen Touareg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, you see, you NEED a V10.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts