Club Touareg Forum banner

Given my circumstances what would you do?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 V8 that I bought on 12/31/2003 for tax reasons (at the time you were able to immediately expense 100% of any vehicle with a gross weight of 6,000 lbs). So i sold my 98 540i for $25k - drove out for $40k in the V8 and got $16k back from uncle Sam a few months later. That was the best trade ever and certanly not duplicatable. At the time the Touareg was the best thing I could find that weighed enough (liked the X5 but 15k more for a logo and not much else - and I love BMWs). I have 57K miles on the V8, the extended warranty runs out 12/31/10, the TPMS either needs sensors replaced ($800) or needs to be dissabled. I am in need of new front shocks ($? - certian that wont be cheap), and there are other misc things that I would like to repair/replace if I keep the car. All that said it is certainly tempting to roll over to car maxx - get a bid and if its remotely reasonable just say "Yours." and embark on my next vehicle adventure. I want/need an SUV type of car, I like they way German cars drive (wish they were as reliable as Japanese cars). So What to get next? X5 - expensive and just as many complaints about everything on their forums. Pepper - If I am going to own a Porsche - its going to be a 911. Q7 - I cant imagine the electronics issues are any better at Audi. New Touareg - makes more sense to spend the money and recondition the one I have - problem with that is warranty is gone in 5 months. Years ago while dealing with all sorts of electronic issues TPMS, Battery Failure, Inition coils I swore this would be my last VW - now not so sure. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Take a shot at extending the warranty. They right them for 100K, and find a good shop. Not a dealer, get a good German specialty shop.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree on getting a cost for an extended warranty. And get a price to fix the few things you need fixing. I too have the TPMS issue and have had that silly warning light in my MFI for a couple years now. I either will continue with it (not a big deal now, more like a little amber twinkle) or get a PC, Ross-Vag software and take the darn thing out, along with VAGing some other goodies on the car. But again, if you like the car (or truck, your choice of description) look into the repairs and continue on with a few more years of solid fun. Interesting and fun decisions either way you go.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I'd just drive it into the ground at this stage...57K is relatively low miles, and you already have experienced the evil it can throw at you. If you have a new vehicle "itch" then I'd just go buy something (X5 diesel is nice), otherwise I find I just get the itch back a few months after dumping some $$ into the current ride. If not then fix what needs to be fixed and drive the wheels off it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are like me the new vehicle itch is hard to avoid after a few years in the same vehicle. I usually rotate every 24 - 30 months.

If you need something roughly the same size with the same specs for load and towing you really need to take a look at the 2011 Grand Cherokee. Basically it's a Merc ML underneath with a choice of a decent V6 or a multi-displacement V8. Fully loaded a 4x4 Overland edition V8 with air suspension, Nav, Tow group, 20" wheels, a 7200 lb tow rating without the hassle of the electrical peculiarities and many features deleted from the current crop of Tregs will be around $44K. I've driven one and it's very compelling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts