Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm thinking about getting another touareg , do I get a 3.0 v6 or a 5.0 v10 , what mpg can i expect from the v10 and any issues with them thanks in advance

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This question has been asked and discussed at length on several previous threads, some quite recently.

Please try and find them to save everyone having to type their comments all over again!

In simple terms, if you have VERY deep pockets and can afford not to wince at the repair bills you might experience, buy a V10.

If you don't, get a V6 but still be prepared to cough up from time to time as and when something goes wrong.

And if you have to ask about MPG then you can't afford to run a V10 anyway!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
You have to use special oil in the V10 [and the R5.]

How many sailors do you need to pull off your sister?
The V10 will get them all off.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
743 Posts
A V10tdi is a great car. I’ve bought five of them over the years and own 2 today and looking for the third.

The people of this forum that have fear for them, strangely have never owned one.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The V10 is a very special beast. Perhaps one of the most special SUV's ever in the North American Market. There is no comparison to anything except in the Upper End of the Porsche
segment.

The V6 is much more sensible.

If you can afford the V10 and appreciate special cars, go for it. If you are more down to earth and practical then go for the V6.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A V10tdi is a great car. I’ve bought five of them over the years and own 2 today and looking for the third.

The people of this forum that have fear for them, strangely have never owned one.
Not at all.

I merely point out to people who I do not know and therefore have no idea of their personal financial circunstances, that all Touaregs can be expensive to fix and the V10 humungously so as others who have owned them have discovered.

To simply say "Yeah, buy it" without any caveat on any ageing Touareg would be irresponsible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just wondering what mpg people get on the v10 as it shows about 4mpg lower than the v6 and was wondering if this was correct it states 28 mpg max

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
OK V10 guys. What is your mileage? OP wants to know.

What I know is you get the most power per gallon with the V10. It makes absurd amounts of power with great MPG for that power.

What nooby is saying is correct. If you don't want to Pay to Play, your dollars will last longer with the V6.

The biggest difference is not in the repairs, but in the fact that the V10 engine parts are rare (fewer made) equals harder to find. When you do need them, you will often end up paying dealer prices to get them.

Owning the V10 is like owning the top of the line Corvette. Approach it with that mindset and you will make the correct decision for yourself.

·
Learner
4,789 Posts

Agree.

·
Learner
4,789 Posts
I was just wondering what mpg people get on the v10 as it shows about 4mpg lower than the v6 and was wondering if this was correct it states 28 mpg max
This is from my trip today, started off in sydney traffic, about 30mins and then two hours on highway at 120kmph and then 20 mins in country town and surrounds.
Running offroad open tread tyres, two people and about 100kgs in luggage

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The maintenance of the V10 can be much more involved than you might think. Many seemingly straightforward repairs require the engine out.

I’ve got one in the garage with what I’m fairly sure is a bad cylinder wall lining. Love the vehicle, just not sure it’s worth fixing. So it can be a little bit of a risk it that repair is more than the vehicle cost to buy.

If you decide to go that way, do your homework and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm a confirmed V10 owner with about 330,000 miles on it and I get right at 21 MPG both city and highway. I've had it for 6 years. They run powerful, they run long. They are overkill.

I do a lot of the maintenance and repair work on this car myself, otherwise I couldn't afford it. If I had taken it to the dealer when the ride height sensors went out I'm sure it would have been thousands. Or when the brittle plastic vacuum lines on the brake booster cracked, that would have been several hundred. Or the window regulator ... probably a grand to fix. The center bearing and all the "normal" issues with all Touaregs - another couple grand. It takes 14 quarts of oil, so every oil change is an adventure.

So yes they can be expensive to own, and the older this one gets the more expensive it'll be. Face it, my car is 14 years old now and a 14 year old car of any type is going to start costing you more in maintenance - and it's really showing its age. I have seriously thought about selling the V10 and getting a 2016 V6. Much newer car, much nicer amenities, better features, and for what I do probably function just as well.

Then I go drive The Beast and instantly change my mind. So much fun to wind that thing up and hit the hills. I'll continue to keep it maintained and going. The seats are wearing through and I'll probably get custom leather done (I've got the teak and they're impossible to get anymore).

And now honesty ...
If TODAY I didn't own either one and had to choose between a 14 year-old V10 and a two year old V6 ... I'd probably take the V6.

·
Registered
437 Posts
And now honesty ...
If TODAY I didn't own either one and had to choose between a 14 year-old V10 and a two year old V6 ... I'd probably take the V6.
Well since I wrote those words, my situation has changed. The V10 developed some brake issues with the vacuum hoses and a lot of fault codes popped up. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 2015 V6 TDI (RSI) and I've been driving that since about last November (and haven't been able to post too much). Here's my NEW thoughts on the two models, since I now own and drive both.

The V10 is a diesel truck with a lot of luxury car features.
The V6 is a luxury car with a lot of diesel truck features.

The V6 - gets better mileage, still fantastic pick up and towing capacity, LOVE the giant sunroof, hate putting AdBlue in.
The V10 - LOVE LOVE LOVE the air suspension, I had installed an upgraded radio unit, but the seats are wearing out, and mileage not as good, but FANTASTIC POWER. Just took big $ hit on repairs.

With both cars running in great condition - and I had to sell one of them tomorrow - I'd sell the V6.

The V10 is a cult car and once you have it you can't give it up. (But I'm keeping both for now)

And I think we're just a few posts away from NT hitting 20,000 posts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK V10 guys. What is your mileage? OP wants to know.

What I know is you get the most power per gallon with the V10. It makes absurd amounts of power with great MPG for that power.

What nooby is saying is correct. If you don't want to Pay to Play, your dollars will last longer with the V6.

The biggest difference is not in the repairs, but in the fact that the V10 engine parts are rare (fewer made) equals harder to find. When you do need them, you will often end up paying dealer prices to get them.

Owning the V10 is like owning the top of the line Corvette. Approach it with that mindset and you will make the correct decision for yourself.
My Treg gets about 17-18mpg on the highway doing 80mph usually but I live in a very hilly part of PA/WV so if you're a flatlander you could probably see 20/22 mpg.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well since I wrote those words, my situation has changed. The V10 developed some brake issues with the vacuum hoses and a lot of fault codes popped up. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 2015 V6 TDI (RSI) and I've been driving that since about last November (and haven't been able to post too much). Here's my NEW thoughts on the two models, since I now own and drive both.

The V10 is a diesel truck with a lot of luxury car features.
The V6 is a luxury car with a lot of diesel truck features.

The V6 - gets better mileage, still fantastic pick up and towing capacity, LOVE the giant sunroof, hate putting AdBlue in.
The V10 - LOVE LOVE LOVE the air suspension, I had installed an upgraded radio unit, but the seats are wearing out, and mileage not as good, but FANTASTIC POWER. Just took big $ hit on repairs.

With both cars running in great condition - and I had to sell one of them tomorrow - I'd sell the V6.

The V10 is a cult car and once you have it you can't give it up. (But I'm keeping both for now)

And I think we're just a few posts away from NT hitting 20,000 posts.

I missed this post so the 20,000 has come and gone. I was going to retire on 20,002 as I like numbers that somehow look well so perhaps I'll stop being a nuisance on here at 22,222 instead!

In the meantime your comments on your choices are interesting. It's a great shame the V8Tdi was never sent to the US for VW to tempt V10 aficionados into a newer car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too wanted to buy a v10 Touareg, but thinking that in my country there is no one near me that can repair it in case of problems, I decided to buy a 2009 V6 tdi. I had it since may, so far the car has been great. like any second hand car, it has it's problems, but nothing special so far. if i ever want to get more power, i will remap it, and it will get near the power of the v10, with way less money to spend in case of problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts