Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think was even an option...but I looked at a very very nice 2012 today with 50K miles. White with saddle interior and every option...but at the very end I noted no backup camera! How does that even happen?

So what is the PIA factor in a DIY install of the camera?

I have VCDS. Does it need a module and lots of science or does it just need the camera, wiring and some coding with the RNS850?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Did you look for the camera or put it in reverse and it didn't work?

According to this Brochure the 2012 does not appear to have a backup camera.

To be sure though I'd look under the rear hatch handle to see for sure and try putting it in reverse.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No camera under handle...only park assist comes up in reverse. I see no mention of camera anywhere in 2012 brochure if you do a word search...very surprising!

Exec is standard with Park Distance Control (PDC) but to my surprise this has nothing todo with a camera which I really need more for hooking up while towing so much. Off to figure out what the PIA factor is for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a worldwide shortage of cameras for a while because a tsunami destroyed the factory in Japan. I had an after-market camera fitted by our local dealer.
Your kidding right?

I've looked at a dozen tdi and everyone with the RNS850 had a backup camera...I did just find this aftermarket solution. Seems to be from the china market...doesn't look fun!

Volkswagen Touareg 2011-2017 backup Camera System

OEM seems about twice that price.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
There was a short period of time where cameras were hard to get and VW decided to not offer them.

clubtouareg.com/forums/f49/do-new-2012-touaregs-us-come-equipped-w-rearview-camera

No 2012 Touaregs come with the rear backup camera. All come equiped with the parking sensors due to availability after the typhoon last year in Japan. This has been a hot topic on many VW/Audi sites all year. I have been told by a factory rep that all 2013 vehicles will come with the camera once again now that VW has a new supplier for the cameras.

You only option is to buy the harness, camera, and controller and install it or have it installed at the dealership. (OEM Plus has the complete kit - this was my choice to have a camera).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...just found that and have an email into them. It's about twice the price of the china solution so I wanted to see if they developed their own or if they are just putting in the china system.

Looks like China system can be had in the USA pretty reasonably...assuming I can read their instructions.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can confirm the tsunami issue,my 2012 LUX came in without the camera, I was disappointed to say the least. Turned in when the emissions issue came up and got a "new" 2016 WITH A CAMERA,yeah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts