Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going on a cross country trip in May (Pittsburgh-Chicago-Glacier-Vancouver- Seattle- Utah .. etc) and was hoping to take my car out for a spin in Moab. Nothing too crazy (some of you have really crazy pics/vidoes) because I'm a noob but I'd like some pointers nevertheless. I know I need smaller wheels but not sure about the specifics, any recommendations? Do I need anything else on my car, such as skid plates, etc? Any recommended routes? Anyone else want to go?

Thanks, your input is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I take it my previous post was too nonspecific to generate a response so i'll try again. We're going to Moab in our T-regg for he first time this May. In order to prepare I need some help from you guys :)

1. tires. I have come to the understanding that 17" or 18" wheels will do fine, but what kind of tires do I need? Do I have to get off-road tires or would winter/all season tires do the trick? Anyone like any specific brands?

2. skid plates. I didn't get the oem skid plates because most of you said they are useless for the purpose of off-roading. I saw some old threads about custom ones but nothing much recently. Is there a US vendor of metal skid plates for a 2010 TDI with air suspension? Do you guys just go without skid plates? Should I worry about damage?

3. other gear/supplies. Having had very limited experience going off-road I just want to make sure that I have the necessities to imrove my safety/fun factor. Will my phone/nav work in Moab? If not, what (if anything) should i do to make it work? Will there be diesel fuel at regular intervals or do I need to bring some with me? if so, how much? anything else major that i'm not thinking of?

4. routes. This is a part of a x-country trip so I will only have 2 days to spend there and I'd like to maximize my experiences. I'm thinking of going to Arches and Canyonlands for easy/intermediate difficulty roads. Does anyone have a place in mind I should go? Any favorite locations that I shouldn't miss? We will also likely do some hiking/biking while out there as well.

5. invite. If anyone will be in the area, I think it would be really cool to meet up and explore together. We're currently looking at May 25/26th +/- 2 days. Le me know if there are any takers.

thanks and I hope it works this time :)

D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
T-regg Canyonlands easy/intermediate
If you can type all those other big words, why can't you type "Touareg" or not ad letters to it's truncation?

1. Easily searched on this site. Whatever is on your Touareg will be fine for many of the easy or moderate routes. No sense in getting an "offroad" tire for a 6000 mile highway trip with a few easy outings but if you do, there are a number of popular choices that are also very good on the highway such as the Nitto Terra Grappler, BFG AT, Toyo AT, and others.

2. Not really any skid plates available. Just be careful. Even if there were you don't "need" them.

3a. A cell phone is the last item to think of because the other items are required, the cell is simply a convenience, not a savior. First is to bring your wits, then a shovel, a spare tire, and then a way to jack the car even if not on the best surface (at least a plywood base, or similar for oem jack)

3b. Really, fuel concerns? You have a 500-600 mile range. Don't forget your brain and you won't run out. This is not Africa. ;) More important would be to top off your urea fluid depending on where you are on it's cycle.

4. Again, very easy to "search" on this forum.

5. I'm sure by then someone will be interested in meeting you but there are other places to find such people, not Touaregs, but overlanding folks in general. See: expedition portal to learn a lot about such endeavors. See expedition exchange to jog your mind on what you might be missing. They have everything you could possibly need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Moab has trails ranging from "Stock Subaru'able" to very extreme.

Probably should just pick up a guide book and stick to easy trails, as it sound like you don't have a great deal of off road experience.

This book is pretty good...

For equipment, bring plenty of water and plenty of common sense, and hold off on the skid plates and dedicated wheels/tires for a while.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
There is a group of Touareg owners who are looking to be in Moab in May... but I don't think a time/date has been nailed down yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ jwestpro: does my petname for my vehicle offend you? others have reffered to them as egg or T-rag. if you really must know her name is Skadi so perhaps I shall refer to her my her proper name from now on \\:D/

@pfb: thanks, it's on my wishlist! i sometimes forget that even in the electronic world there is still use for the library.

@TREGinginCO: really? That would be absolutely fantastic - please don't forget about me when the dates are finalized!

Thank you all for the "common sense" tip, i'm always afraid of leaving something like that behind :wink:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
@ jwestpro: does my petname for my vehicle offend you? others have reffered to them as egg or T-rag. if you really must know her name is Skadi so perhaps I shall refer to her my her proper name from now on \\:D/
No, it's referred to as "Treg", not "Rag". Yes, 2 g's and a "-" do bother me when just one more character would instead spell it out. :cry: People often abbreviate "Touareg" because they just can't remember where that darn "a" goes but adding more letters makes no sense at all. Adding a dash is also like "T-rex" although it demeans the modern design. Calling it an "egg" is the most appropriate, seeing as it both looks like an egg but it also the most effective way of typing quickly.

Skadi on the other hand is very cool, unless you start truncating that too. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll call my "T-Rex" a.k.a "UberDub" whatever I want too... as I've earned it, plus she's mine... . ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was just yankin his chain but you wouldn't call it "T-reXX" would you? ;) I like UberDub!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just yankin his chain but you wouldn't call it "T-reXX" would you? ;) I like UberDub!
in the red corner, weighing in at 5,000 lb is T-reggsxxx .... vs.. eg.
lol. this is fun, and really, thanks for all the advice.

ps. you're yankin "her" chain ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
^oh hell. I'm sorry about that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha no biggie... now do you understand why I was so concerned about the cell phone (kidding, sort of)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
no, even moreso now you should be self reliant out there, but now I give you no excuses for not typing "Touareg" ;)

Side arms trump cell phones every time!

Not to be too dark, but the further away you go, the more self reliant you have to be. I have often taken my mtn bike when going far from civilization so that in the event of vehicular failure, it's a nice one day epic bike ride to get out rather than a very serious week on foot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, but I'm taking the time to prep for this (it's 4 months away and I already know to bring a shovel!) plus i'm not doing it alone :) . if you have other tips of the trade I'd love to hear them, and i bet my T-O-U-A-R-E-G Skadi would really appreciate them as well!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just to cover some of the ground in your orig questions....
1 you do not need off-road tires. i am not sure that your new veh will take 17's so 18's may be the best for you. If you are going to be doing a good amount of off-roading, then wheels and tires would be advisable and having a full size spare would be most advisable. We require the full size spare and wheel for the Colorado Rally. I like BFG Radial All Terrains but there are many other options.

2 Skid Plates - There was a member here that fab'ed skid plates by the name of Mountain Lord. Havent seen anything on him lately, but Aircooled has one of his plates. If you have air suspension, you will be ok in most situations at the off-road level. If not, then you will have to be extremely careful with wheel placement to avoid damage.

3 Other gear...fuel will be avail in Moab. normal equip should include shovel, tow straps, chocks, good jack, small tool kit, water, snacks, flashlight, and other common sense items

4 2 days is a quick trip to Moab. I recommend you take up to a day to just do Arches Natl Park.....its amazing. Short hike to Delicate Arch......take the Fiery Furnace tour if available at Ranger Station. No real 4 wheeling in Park..stop at all the turnouts...dont miss Balanced Rock, Landscape Arch, and the Windows section.

Consider running the Shaffer Trail to Canyonlands Natl Park Its an easy trail with nice switchbacks at the end and you will get the flavor of the country. Get the book recommended in the thread. Stick with the easier trails if you have time to run more.

One other hint...if Canyonlands by Night is running on the river at Moab, take the trip.....you will love it

Have a great time

Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts