Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 3.6L V6 that has 265/65/17 BFG All Terrain T-A KO2 tires on it.

The factory tires are 255/60/17 and the PSI for these tires (listed on door jam) is 36 psi front; 44 psi rear. I'm almost positive this is too high psi for these KO2 tires.

Before I spend time doing a chalk test, can anybody tell me what the ideal psi should be for these tires? I'm mostly highway driving.

Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've asked the shop where I got the tires as well as the VW dealership (who were useless as always) and couldn't seem to find the relevant info. Some say this; others say that. It's quite confusing.

I figured I'd have similar luck here. I'll just do the chalk test.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try 34F 36R.

Rears should always be a few PSI higher to encourage oversteer rather than understeer in emergency steering or braking.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try 34F 36R.

Rears should always be a few PSI higher to encourage oversteer rather than understeer in emergency steering or braking.
I'll give it a try.

The shop where I got them mentioned something about them being 10-ply or something to that effect, and how they're normally put on 1-ton trucks (Ford F-350 and Dodge 3500, etc) and suitable for towing large trailers. He looked at me funny when I put them on my Touareg.. even though this is my third set of these tires.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha! Yes, people don't expect off road tires on a "soft roader" vehicle!! The ones rated 10 ply apparently don't have 10 actual plies, but are supposed to be as tough as the old style tires with 10 plies.
That's correct - they're not actually 10-ply but a modern equivalent to the old 10-ply tires. That's what the guy at the tire shop said. Still though, they're as tough as nails :D

Even when I search this PSI topic on other forums I see people struggle with factory vs actual psi. Ugh.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Run what your tires like. The door jamb recommendation is probably for larger rims (lower profile tires) and different style tires.
The door jam is for my specific model which came with a specific tire - 255/60R17. I'm running the same rims now with a slightly larger tire.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've got a 2007 3.6L V6 that has 265/65/17 BFG All Terrain T-A KO2 tires on it.

The factory tires are 255/60/17 and the PSI for these tires (listed on door jam) is 36 psi front; 44 psi rear. I'm almost positive this is too high psi for these KO2 tires.

Before I spend time doing a chalk test, can anybody tell me what the ideal psi should be for these tires? I'm mostly highway driving.

Thanks!
I have a 2010 TDI running 255/65-17 Goodyear A/T Adventure tires at 39F / 46R and they feel great in all applications with good, even wear. If I run 2-3psi lower it wallows a bit on the road, but it's perfect off-road. My snows (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV) run at the same pressure, but I can air them down a little if I need to without more noticeable wallow on the road.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Stabone! I'll do some experimenting.

On a side note, are designated winter tires "way better" than say yours or my KO2 in the snow? I know they're better but by how much? My KO2 seem to be quite impressive, then again I have nothing to measure them against.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks Stabone! I'll do some experimenting.

On a side note, are designated winter tires "way better" than say yours or my KO2 in the snow? I know they're better but by how much? My KO2 seem to be quite impressive, then again I have nothing to measure them against.
Oh hell yes - no comparison. The predecessors to my Goodyears were the SilentArmors, and they were mountain-snowflake rated; the new Adventures are not. The old SilentArmors were OK in anything that wasn't black ice or super-deep snow, but I did have one situation stopped on an incline on black ice with ~3" of snow on top where I couldn't get going again in any mode until I had two wheels on some gravel on the shoulder. Tradeoff with the new Adventures is downright scary bad snow/ice performance but longer summer tread life. So I believe that even with a non-snow specific AT with the mountain/snowflake designation, a true snow tire is waaaay better. And my Nokians actually get 2-3mpg better combined.

Last winter driving around in 12+" of snow, my Treg was truckin' on my Nokians while GL-class Mercs were spinning their tires at intersections on all-seasons. You still have to be careful in that kind of snow/ice, but you gain amazing confidence that with the right footwork, once you eventually come to a stop, your Treg will get moving again, and it will turn where you want to.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fantastic. Your Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV are the best option for mild winters with lots of rain and almost no snow? (Vancouver, BC). It rarely gets below freezing around here.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Fantastic. Your Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV are the best option for mild winters with lots of rain and almost no snow? (Vancouver, BC). It rarely gets below freezing around here.
They're amazing in cold rain/slush, but the tread compound is really soft and they don't recommend driving on them regularly in temps above 45F because of excessive wear, so I would say unless you're making a lot of trips into the interior where it does snow more, you might be better off with something that's got a similar tread design but harder compound. Nokian makes the WR 3 SUV which seems like it's made for milder winter driving, but not sure if it's available in NA. Michelin latitude X-Ice seem like they're designed to balance cold/warm winter driving...

There are a couple threads that talk about snow tires, and opinions are like a**holes here - everyone's got one, so I recommend poking around - you're sure to find someone who drives like you do.

Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Wheels and Tires - Club Touareg Forums

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot for that info! Very much appreciated. I'll look around and see what's best our local weather. Unfortunately I don't make enough trips into the BC interior, which really is a shame. I love it there.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Here's a German car magazine's 2016 4x4 [hate the use of SUV!] winter tire [tyre] test.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-2016-255-55-r-18-10888555.html

Goodyear was first and Gripmax [never heard of them] came 8th.

1: Goodyear UltraGrip Perfo. SUV Gen-1 109 V vorbildlich [exemplary]

2: Continental WinterContact TS 850P SUV 109 V vorbildlich

3: Dunlop Winter Sport 5 SUV 109 V vorbildlich

4: Pirelli Scorpion Winter 109 V gut

5: Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2 109 V gut

6: Hankook Winter i*cept evo2 SUV 109 V gut

7: Nokian WR SUV 3 109 V befriedigend [satisfying!] That's Goggle translate for you!!

8: Gripmax 109 V nicht empfehlenswert [recommendable]

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-2016-255-55-r-18-10888555.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts